Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by BrotherCorpz

The young man hid behind the barrels, watching the three men searching for him. He didn’t really understand what the big deal was. He had only taken a little bit of food. Its not like there wasn’t plenty more. The men eventually moved on to search for him elsewhere. He sighed with relief and lay down on the makeshift bed and stared at the ceiling. 

They’d been out at sea for about a week now. This sure was taking a long time. Maybe he should have snuck onto an airship. But then he surely would have been caught. As lousy as the security for dune riders were, the airship security must be much stronger. 

He sat up and turned to look out the window. He stared at the sand sea. He wondered what it had been like before the meteor had struck this planet, when it was water. As he pondered this, he saw a shadow in the sand and stared at it. It seemed to be heading towards the ship, more specifically right at his window. A sand crawler leaped at the window and crashed into it. Realt jumped back knocking over a barrel. His jacket got stuck in it and he rolled with it. The barrel rolled down the corridor dragging him with it. Realt screamed as he was being rolled until they came to a sudden stop. Realt got up and stumbled as he stood from the dizzying roll. He shook his head and fixed his spiky blonde hair and smoothed out his clothing. He looked up to see what had stopped the barrel and jumped back surprised. He was staring right at the three men that had been looking for him. 

“We finally found you. Do you know what we do to stowaways? We throw them overboard!” With that closing remark they tackled him. Two of the men grabbed his arms while the other punched him in the chest. Realt fell forward as the breath was knocked out of him. The man grabbed his hair and lifted his head. “C’mon! Lets take him to the captain.”

“I’m sorry if I took to much food. I only grabbed a little, just a chicken leg and some water.” This response brought another punch, this time to the face.

“Shut up! This isn’t about the food.”

They carried him back down the corridor and up the stairs. The man not carrying him kicked the door open. The sudden bright light blinded Realt. He closed his eyes and looked down.

“Out the way! Stowaway coming through!” He screamed, pushing sailors aside. They stared at him and started to whisper amongst themselves. Realt was carried to another door, this one a bit nicer looking and the man knocked on the door. A gruff voice shouted for them to come in. The man opened the door and held it open. He was carried inside and thrown to the ground. The three men stood to attention and saluted the older man. His black hair had traces of gray in it, but his eyes still held pride. He sat down in the chair behind his desk and pulled out a cigarette. He lit a match and held it up to the cigarette until it lighted. He shook the match until it was out and tossed it out of the window behind him.

“We found the stowaway captain sir!”

The captain blew smoke at them before opening a drawer. “I see. So your telling me this is the guy that took the food. Its just a kid!”

“I don’t mean to be disrespectful sir, but you shouldn’t smoke. Its bad for your health.”

One of the men kicked Realt in the stomach. “Don’t talk to the captain you fool!”

The captain held out his hand for the sailor to stop. “Relax Chow, let the boy explain himself. What are you doing on my boat son?”

Realt got to his knees and bowed his head. “Well you see sir, the thing is, I really needed to go where you were heading. It was a most urgent matter sir.”

“I see. Then why did not just buy a ticket?”

“Well that’s the thing sir, I don’t have any money.”

“No money huh. Still that is no reason to sneak aboard a ship. For all we knew, you could have been some psycho trying to sink us. And that’s no reason to steal food either.”

“No. I don’t mean any harm to you and your crew. And I only took enough to last me that day. I didn’t know that it would take this long to reach our destination otherwise I would have brought some food with me.”

“Well son. I’m sorry, but we have rules to deal with stowaways.” Realt leaped forward and grabbed the captain’s feet from under the desk.

“Please don’t throw me overboard! I’m too young to die!” The captain stared at him like he was a fool.

“I would not do such a ridiculous thing. Chow; take our friend here to the brig. Make sure he is fed.” Chow looked at the captain in disbelief.

“You won’t us to feed a stowaway?”

“We’re sailors son, we have honor. Do as your told.” The captain commanded him. “Dismissed.” The three men grumbled as they left his room. They dragged Realt back down another door and down a corridor. They took into the brig and tossed him in a cell. They locked the cell and sneered at him.

“Scum like you doesn’t deserve food. Better to let you rot before we arrive.” They walked away laughing and slammed the door. 

The guard sat at his desk, his pen scratching back and forth on a piece of paper. Realt sighed and lay down on the pile of straw that was his bed. How did he always get himself in these messes? No matter what he did something always went wrong. Oh well, he can’t let this get him down. After all, once they arrived he could surely sort this mess out. Yeah, that’s what he would do. He began to sing a lullaby as he drifted off to sleep.

The captain pulled out another cigarette and lit it. He could not stop thinking about that kid. Why did he sneak aboard this ship? Surely he did not want to go to Saint Malay? He shook his head; no he probably just snuck aboard the wrong ship. But this did little to ease his mind. He stared out the window at the sands. Most people found the sea to be a unwelcoming place, but he loved it out here. It was his home, he had been born on a but, and he would die on a boat. He had already made up his mind. 

He pondered his latest passenger excluding the boy. That girl, she was a Savior. So why did she choose to take a dune rider back to Santa Malay? Surely she could afford an airship. Though perhaps she didn’t trust them, hell, he didn’t and with good reason. While fast, they aren’t quite as reliable as a good dune rider. Still, hopefully she won’t cause any trouble. As long she paid good, he’d take her anywhere. 

He opened the drawer and pulled out a picture. He missed his family. His wife’s cooking, his daughter’s laughter, and his son’s factory stories. Once he returned home, he would go straight there and kiss his wife. He placed the picture back in its place and began closing the drawer. However the ship suddenly shook, throwing him against the wall. He cursed and got up and ran to the door. He opened a looked around.

“What the hell was that?” 

His sailors scurried about doing their duties and trying to decipher what happened. Chow ran up to the captain panting.

“Sir! I believe we hit a rock or something. A couple of the men were thrown overboard. I’ve got some the men throwing ropes out. Most are already back onboard.”

“Good work Chow. Tell Reno to take us around the rock. We can’t afford to damage the ship.”

Chow was about to reply when the ship once more shook. He was thrown to the ground and crashed into the side railing. He stood and looked for the captain who had disappeared. He dashed to the side of the ship and looked out.

“Captain!” He called scanning the sea for any sign of the captain. He glanced down and stopped. He fell backwards and began crawling away from the side of the ship. He got to his feet and ran to the mast. He gripped the bell and rang, it boomed out above the racket of the crew and they stopped to look at Chow.

“What the hell is the matter with you? Get off the damn bell!” One of the sailors told him.

“There . . . there’s a golem climbing the ship!” 

He pointed to where he had seen it and the sailors turned. A large brown hand gripped the railing. It pulled, and the crew watched horrified as the large golem clambered onto the deck. They ran for the weapons locker, grabbing swords, axes, hammers, anything they could use as weapons. The golem swung its arm knocking several of the men off the ship. With its other arm it smashed a hole into the deck, crushing two men under its hand. The men screamed in horror and fury as they attacked the golem. Their weapons had little effect on the golem as he slaughtered more of the men. They began backing away from the golem, realizing their doom. 

Chow suddenly remembered the reason why they were out here to begin with. He grabbed the man next to him and pulled him closer.

“Go find the Savior! Surely she can defeat this abomination!” He threw the man aside and watched as he dashed below deck. He turned to glared at the golem. “How dare you kill the captain!’ He screamed at it and charged. He slashed his sword at its legs but did little to it. It looked down at him and grabbed him. It began squeezing him. He couldn’t breathe the thing gripped him so hard. Just when thought he was done for, he suddenly fell to the ground, still clamped in its hand. The golem roared in fury at the cloaked figure who had cut its hand off. Chow stared at the blade held in the figure’s hands and smiled.

“Sav . . . Savior? You came!” The figure removed the cloak revealing her. Her brown hair was tied back showing her blue eyes. She gripped the gold handle of her sword. She wore a sleeveless white shirt trimmed with gold. She looked at the men.

“Go below decks, I can handle this.” She turned around and went back to battling the golem.


Realt was thrown against the bars and his foot got stuck. He hung there a while before the guard noticed him. The guard got up from his seat and ran to Realt’s cell. He opened the cell and tried to help Realt down. It took a few seconds but he was set free. He fell to the ground and got up. He brushed the dirt off his clothes and smiled at the man.

“Thank you sir. Thought I was going to be there all day.”

“Eh, no problem, anyway, you need to come with me.” He put handcuffs on Realt and pushed him in front. “We’re gonna go see what’s happening to the ship.” There was another shake, this one bigger than the first. “Blasted fool, doesn’t he know how to steer a ship?” The guard opened the door, but was pushed back by a group of men running in through the door. He looked around in surprise at the weapons they carried.

“What’s going on?” The guard asked suspiciously.

“There’s a golem on the deck. That Savior girl is fighting it.” Chow replied. He then noticed Realt and pointed at him. “What’s he doing out of his cell?”

“I was coming to check out the commotion and brought him with me. He won’t cause any trouble.”

Chow was about to reply when Realt quickly popped up in front of him. Chow jumped back in surprise.

“Did you there was a golem? And that a Savior is fighting it?”

“Yeah I did, but that doesn’t concern you stowaway.” Realt bowed.

“I’m sorry, but I have to go.” He slipped his hands of the handcuffs and dashed off down one of the corridors. The men shouted and gave chase. Realt dived behind the barrels where he had been sleeping and grabbed his bag. He tossed it to the side and grabbed the swords underneath. He tied all three to his back and stood up. He stepped out from the barrels and jumped back in surprise.

“Err, you guys followed me?” He held his hands up.

“You have weapons? Hand them over now!”

“I’m so sorry, but I have to go now. Please do not follow me.” He ran off towards the stairs and Chow chased after him. Realt dived at the door, pushing it open and rolling out onto the deck. Chow kicked the door open and ran at him.

“Get back you here you scum!” He was so focused on Realt that he didn’t see the golem raising its fist to crush him. He looked up as it brought down its fist and slammed it on top of him. The golem lifted its hand and looked around for Chow. It spotted Realt near the mast holding Chow. 

Realt set him down and turned to face the golem. 

“I thought I told you not to follow me?”

“Your . . . your so fast. Who are you?” Chow asked in disbelief.

Realt looked over his shoulder and smiled. “My name is Realt Wallen.” The golem swung its fist at Realt but its was cut off. The arm fell to the ground and the golem roared in fury. It turned towards the Savior that had attacked it and charged her. She jumped to the side and slashed the golem’s back. Before she could finish it, a second golem leaped from the front of the ship and landed behind her. She turned around in time to raise her sword and block its attack. The blow sent her flying back and she crashed into the ship. She blew through the wall and slammed into the captain’s desk. She got up and holding her side. She looked down and touched his side. She clenched her teeth in pain, the golem had broken some of her ribs. She looked around for her sword and saw it. It was by the mast, next to the golem. She ran at the mast to retrieve her sword, but before she got near it, Realt jumped in front of her, blocking her path.

“Step aside! I need my sword to defeat these golems!” Realt smiled and held up his hand.

“By the looks of it, the punch broke some of your ribs. It would be much better if you allowed me to fight them.”

“Your just some kid! What do you hope to accomplish against them? I’m a Savior, I can take them. Now move.” She tried to move around him, but he pushed her back.

“Please, don’t worry about me lady, I’m tougher than I look.” He turned around and was slammed through the floor by the golem. The blow destroyed the floor and Realt was gone. The golem advanced on her, but before it reached the door, Realt jumped up from through the deck and slashed its feet. His blades cut clean through the golem and it crashed to the ground. He then jumped on top of the golem and cut its head off. Once he did that, it stopped moving. He turned to the second golem and ran at it. It attempted to kick him, but he sidestepped its kick and pierced its chest. He dragged both blades cutting it in half. He kicked the golem, knocking it down. He put his blades up back in their sheaths and turned to the Savior. He walked over to the mast and picked up her sword and continued walking to her. He handed her the sword and kneeled.

“Let me check those ribs. Lift up your shirt.” She lifted her shirt up so he could examine her ribs. He gently pressed down on them and she grimaced in pain. He moved his hand up and down her rib cage, checking each one. “Hey um Chow right? Could you go and get my bag?” He asked Chow and nodded and went down to retrieve his bag. “You have two broken ribs and one cracked. Rest for a few days and you should be fine.” Chow returned and handed Realt his bag. He opened it and pulled out some bandages. He wrapped the bandages around her ribs and tied t to keep it in place. She glanced over at his back and noticed about eighty percent of his belongings were bandages.

“You sure have a lot of bandages.” She said pulling her shirt down. Who was this kid? Not only did he possess Dioxy, but he knew how to use them too. “Who are you?”

“Well I’m pretty clumsy, I hurt myself a lot. And my name is Realt Wallen.”

“No no, I heard your name. I meant who are you? How did you come to possess Dioxy.”

“Dioxy? What’s that?”

“You mean you don’t know?”

“What am I supposed to know?”

She sighed. “I have a lot to tell you. Come with me.” She opened the door and looked at the men. “Its safe to come out now. The golems are gone.” The men cheered and rushed upstairs. They surrounded Chow and assaulted him with questions. She continued to walk on and opened a door. “Please come in. These are my quarters.”

Realt walked in the door and was surprised at how empty it was. The only thing in the room was a bed and a bag. She shut the door as she came in a motioned for Realt to sit on the bed. He did so and slammed his fist into his hand.

“Oh yeah, I forgot. You never gave me your name.”

“Me? My name is Tori Knight. I am a Sandman of the Saviors. Now tell me about yourself and how you got your Dioxy.”

“What is this Dioxy you keep referring to?”

“Your swords. They are Dioxy. Crystal from the great meteor that struck the planet two thousand years ago. The crystals do one of three things. Convert them selves to energy, allowing us to use it. Change into a weapon and bond with a human thus turning them into Sandmen. Having great strength and abilities. And finally, they can turn to golems. Pure energy that forms into those abominations that we fought earlier.”

“Oh, that’s what these are. They were given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. That was the last time I saw him. He also told me to go to a place called Saint Malay and become a Savior.”

“Really. What was his name? He might be a Savior.”

“Oh we didn’t use our names. We only referred to each other as brother. So I have no honest idea what his name was.” Realt laughed. “But I’d recognize him anywhere. He was best friend. My only friend.” Realt stared off into space as if he were thinking of something. Tori waited for him to snap out of it, but when he didn’t she tapped his shoulder. He shook his head and looked at her. “I’m sorry, I zoned out. I do that sometimes.”

“You said this friend told you to become a Savior correct? Did he wear a rose anywhere, more specifically a black rose?”

“Um no, not that I remember. Why do you ask?”

“If you plan on becoming a Savior, then you have to know something. If I could explain it to you, I would. But its against protocol to inform someone who isn’t a Savior. Once we get back to base and you pass the test, then you will learn of what we do. So until then just enjoy yourself on the ship. I informed the crew you are with me now, so they shouldn’t bother you anymore.”

Realt sighed. That was a relief. He wouldn’t have to go back into that cell. Bars made him queasy 

“So you said something about a test, any details?”

Tori shook her head. “No. It’s different for everyone. But it is important. If you pass then you become a Savior. But if you fail, then you will die.”

“Wha . . . what? Die?”

“Yeah, the test is very hard. Some people don’t make it through.”

Realt could already begin picturing the nightmares he would have tonight. Hopefully he wouldn’t scream and wake everyone up. Tori yawned and stretched. 

“If its alright with you, I think I’ll take a nap. If you need something, don’t be afraid to ask.”

“Okay. Make sure you don’t move around to much. Have a good nap.” Realt left Tori’s room and closed the door. He made his out the door and onto the deck. The golems had already been thrown overboard and the crew was repairing what damage they could. Before he could head down the stairs, a hand grabbed his shoulder. He jumped in surprise and shouted. He turned around and sighed with relief when he saw Chow.

“Oh, sorry, didn’t mean to scare you. I just wanted to thank you for saving my life. And I also wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier. It’s just that, on my previous boat, before I signed up for this one. A stowaway was discovered and when tried to apprehend him, he slaughtered the entire crew. Only a handful and I were able to escape in one of the rowboats. So that’s why I acted the way I did.”

Realt smiled. “There’s no need to apologize. I’m sure anyone would have been suspicious. So no hard feelings.” He held his hand out to Chow. Chow smiled and shook his hand. “So how many were lost?”

Chow sighed. “A total of seven, including the captain.” Realt sighed.

“I’m sorry for your losses. I’m sure they were good men.”

“And I’ve been picked as the new captain. So don’t worry, our course is set and we will arrive in Saint Malay in a couple more days.”

“Thank you Captain Chow. I know you’ll be a good captain. But if you could excuse me, I need some rest.”

“Of course, please don’t let me keep you.” Chow bowed and left Realt to go check on the repairs. Realt opened the door and walked down the stairs. About halfway down, his foot got stuck in between two steps and he tripped. 

“Ahhhhhh!” He fell down the stairs and crashed into the ground. He rolled into the barrels knocked them down. The barrels fell on top of him until he was buried in them. He pushed them off and stood up. He touched his head and pulled his hand back at the pain. He sighed and grabbed his bag. He began rapping his head and once he was done, restacked the barrels. He went behind the barrels and climbed into his bed. He stared at the ceiling for a while, pondering what Tori had said. 

A test huh? He could handle it. He had to, for his friend. After all, that had been what he said. Become a Savior and we will meet again one day. While he’d keep his part of the deal, so he’d better keep his.

He began to sing his lullaby again drifted off in the middle of it.


© 2011 BrotherCorpz


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on February 23, 2011
Last Updated on February 23, 2011


Author

BrotherCorpz
BrotherCorpz

About
BrotherCorpz is merely a combo pen name for KallyCorpz and RikuCorpz. KallyCorpz is run by Hayden "Alseif" Hughes. RikuCorpz is run by Thomas "Shift" Rivet. The two of them both write stor.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by BrotherCorpz