An Odd Mouse

An Odd Mouse

A Chapter by CLCurrie
"

“A dream can be a simple thing. It can move you to never give up and never lay down your arms, but what happens when you reach the top of your dream?” -Sir Sky Masktree Head Knight of the Pegasus Cor

"

Dear River,

 

                We had small snow here in the city yesterday. The air-dropped to a deep cold bring with it a few hours of thick snow, but by the time I woke this morning the snow had gone. The sun came rushing back to the city beating away the white with its heat. I welcome the warm days and cool nights, but I fear I may be coming down with something. My head is hurting at the moment, and I did not sleep all that well last night. I do not feel it is right for anyone to wake feeling worse than they did before going to bed, but at alas it is my fate, lets both pray I do not coming down with a sickness.

                I have to remind myself today that my emotional state, poor as it is, is simply due to the fact, I’m not feeling well. That things are not as grave as they may seem in the moment and the AllFather has blessed me dearly these last few years. So, why do I feel like such a failure in my life?

                The sun rays hum across my bed on the floor of my room bring a joy I should bathe in, but all my mind seems to be able to do is swim in the storm of my life. There is a great storm coming towards me, the lightning flashed over the walls, and the thunder is the drums of the marching dread. I can’t escape what is coming, there is no place to hide, but I tried to find a haven for me rest in until the storm has passed. (Oh, AllSon how that haven was once my beloved.)

                 But the only haven I can find right is a book, I crawled into near my bed trying to get away from the lightening marching across my mind and found the most unlikely of stories. I have been studying the Roaming War of Mice, starting in 1218, for my book ‘The History of Whispering Oaks and the Empire,’ and somehow had picked up a collects of fairy tales from that time. I normally have no disgust against fairy tales. I find them to wholesome Great Truths in them, and, are a great score to see how the squirrels of that time were thinking, but I have been trying to remove all myths and legend from my history book. A few other Bards have done the same thing in their studies of our history and have also found it difficult as well. So much of our history is build off these old legends to the point most squirrels don’t even realize it.

                At the moment, the book of fairy tales I am reading is simply for my enjoyment and nothing more. I’m not sure if any of the tales will crawl its way into my book and I’ll try my best not to allow it to happen, but the tale I read on this morning was called, “An Odd Mouse.”

                To find a mouse in stories during this time was common, after all, the Realm was at war with the mice armies but to find a tale where the hero was a mouse, now that was anything but common. The mouse in the story did not have a name or was he a part of any army attacking the Realm. He was a mouse who roamed the world trying to see it all. It was his greatest dream to see every place this world has in it.

                One day, he was traveling in secret into the Realm for he knew there was a war at a foot. He spends weeks coming up from the south, the Black Forest, and saw Thornwood before heading to Whispering Oaks. The mouse soon found himself staring up at the Great Oak tree in complete awe of it.

 

“… His eyes were small and black that of a dot had never seen a tree so great before, all his days he had heard tales and songs about the Tree of Life taller and greater than other. His heart smaller than a thimble dance in his chest and all he could dream about was seeing the world from a top of the tree.”

 

                 He tried for days to find a way into the city, but there were no holes for him to get through and no way over the walls due to the City Guards always on watch. He walked around the wall trying to find a way into the city, and while he did so, he helped a Young Knight with three tasks. At the end of the third task, the Young Knight befriended him and got him into the city. Sadly, the mouse was captured by a few other Knights, cast into the dungeon to live out his days, and the mouse would break free every year to try to climb the Tree. The Knights quickly learn what the mouse was trying to do and it was easy for him to be tossed back into the dungeon.

                Years later, the Young Knight became an Old Knight as the mouse did the same, and before the death of the mouse the Old Knight let him out helping him climb to the top of the tree, but he never stops dreaming of seeing the whole world. It is said on top of the Great Oak tree the mouse saw all the world before taking his last breath.

                A life is worth living when all you do is chase a Ture Dream; I can only hope that I am living a life worth living. My brother this lesson is something you can paw down to your children one day, and I shall send you a copy of the fairy tale. I hope you will find joy and wisdom in as I have done, and as always with love …

 

 

Your brother,

Brain Redtales

(1425)



© 2019 CLCurrie


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on April 7, 2019
Last Updated on April 7, 2019
Tags: A dream can be a simple thing. I, but what happens when you reach


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing