Path 1, Chapter 1: Hidden Moment

Path 1, Chapter 1: Hidden Moment

A Chapter by Calico-wolf
"

Description: Maybe later

"

My daughter told me something, the day before I died I mean. She said that some stories end just about the same way they start. That moment I just gave her a blank and emotionless smile, pet her head, and walked out of the front door. She said it as if it were the biggest discovery in the history of human kind. It was just as good as saying “sometimes daddy actually gets laid”. Yeah, both of those things happen sometimes. But if only I could rewind time.
Just to that one single moment, I would get down on my knees and hug her tightly as if she were the one dying the next day. But I can’t. I can’t rewind time. Ever think someone could change over night? I sure didn’t. In fact I was absolute sure I would die the same bloody b*****d a*****e who couldn’t even give his 5 year-old daughter the real love that she deserved. Well, if I had an interesting story to tell, where would it start? After all I don’t want to bore you. Guess I’ll take a page from my daughter’s book. It all started when I was called early morning at an ungodly hour to investigate a murder case. Funny thing was, the smug little prick was an ex-con we figured was up to no good again. We were trying to catch the guy red handed. I guess…in a way we did uh?


The air was colder than the hands of a ghost that night. The grass and trees in the city park was coated with a fresh batch of frost. The crunching sound under Vorn’s feet was something the 32 year-old always hated about these winter days. The feel of it under his black shoes annoyed him to no end. The only nice thing about that night was the full moon. It seemed larger than he had ever before. What creped him out about it though was the fact it seemed to have been like that for 4 days straight. After a full moon didn’t the phase start all over again? Maybe, maybe not. He never was good at that scientific bull. Not when it came to the sky anyway. If he wasn’t looking straight he was always looking down. He couldn’t stomach the idea that there might be spy sattilets buzzing around out in space looking down at him. Watching him ever day of his life like a 5 cent movie.


His Formal name, or rather his title, was senior detective Rowan. Many of the new cats in the office would look at him in a father figure kind of way. This pissed him off too. As far as he was concerned he wasn’t that damn old. He had just been doing this kind of thing longer than normal. Cops like him would either have been killed off by now or quit from the insanity of the whole thing. Sadly, Mr. Rowan’s life wasn’t so poetic. He was just an average man who managed to dodge the bullet once or twice in his life. As he came close to the scene he started to tune out the sound of the grass. The sirens and the dumbasses coming up with wild answers before they’ve even started examining things. The park has a bridge, and tonight under that bridge was a dead body of an ex-rapist.


Vorn would find out later that the ETD was set for about four hours from that current time. Around 6.00am. As he made his way to the body he was greeted by the office s**t. At least that’s what he called her. “Hey detective Rowan. Glad you decided to drag your old a*s out of bed. You don’t usually do night shift do you sir?” Rebecca asked while giving an interesting pose to him. He would lowly growl at her. More over the fact she called him sir than anything else. It was just another thing that made him feel old. They called his 50 plus boss sir, not him. Vorn was married 7 years. It wasn’t like he didn’t find Rebecca attractive. Even a man who swore he was a homo would declare this girl a 10. But he was an idiot. If he was going to f**k around with another woman behind his wife’s back, wouldn’t be someone that he worked with. Not by a long shot. He didn’t care if the girl was the winner of the next top model.
This was Vorn’s idea of the perfect girl. Her looks had to be average in every way. Most guys thought double D wasn’t enough. For Vorn B cup was just right and A cup was just as good. Her attitude had to be cold. She needed to be able to cope with him after all. If she was a whiny little thing then he’d end up drowned in her tears after two days. The girl couldn’t be very religious. In Vorn’s perspective if there was a God, we’d never really know. Besides, for a long time now he has felt forsaken. Emo-ish if you will. As Vorn walked around Rebecca a smile came to his face. Wonder what this guy’s type was. Little girl’s maybe. Maybe occasionally it wasn’t female. Maybe not even human at all. The sick fucked up pervert. What ever happened to him, he had it coming. And if that was the case, why in the hell was he smiling?

 


“Blood splatter in front of the body, but no apparent wounds…” No one had realized this but Vorn. Vorn was shooting them a glare while they shot him a confused one right back. There was no trail of blood so no victim but the one in front of them. He was sitting down. Legs spread and back leaned up against the cold wall. His eyes were closed and he was smiling. It was faint but there was trickle of blood trailing down from the corner of his lips. Maybe internal bleeding. Hit by a blunt object before the victim ran. But there were so many holes here. Why the hell would he be smiling and not holding his stomach in pain and agony. His hands were resting at his side, relaxed. What ever did happen he either excepted it, or welcomed it. Vorn’ had dived into the mind of a killer more times then he would ever care to count, but he just couldn’t figure out what happened here. “Guess we’ll wait and see what the guys at the lab have to tell us instead of standing here scratching our heads all day.” He said with a sigh as he whipped out a cigarette as he turned around facing away from the body, his eyes shut closed as the people around him sighed and talk about actually get some sleep. Rebecca smiled and gave a little good-bye before heading back to her car.

That’s when he opened his eyes and looked to the wall that was in front of him now. It was covered with ice. Not entirely odd giving the season but a whole sheet covering the entire wall seemed somehow odd to him. He wondered if this was what the guy last saw. Himself. Well that’s a shocker. When Vorn looked into it all he ever was, was disgusted at the sight of the overworked, underpaid, closet pervert who could never seem to take care of all his wife’s needs. Nor his daughters wishes. He couldn’t fathom what this guy thought when he looked in the mirror. For right now he dismissed any thoughts on this case. He would deal with it all in the morning. Vorn looked down at his watch. 6: 22 am, no point in going to bed if he was just going to get up in a hour or so anyway. Time to go check out some of his favorite plays. It was morning, but still a little dark. Just enough light to see what he was doing, Just enough darkness to feel like he could never get caught.
 



© 2008 Calico-wolf


Author's Note

Calico-wolf
The picture has nothing to do with the chapter, lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The picture never has anything to do with anything when it comes to you. :P Anyway, it's good, as always. I keep telling you your a better writer then me. And wasn't this story going to be my b-day gift. *snickers* Moving on... Keep writing Wolf. Just like you want me to complete my book you have to do the same. lol

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow. Extraordinary. I love it! So mysterious, and it all fits in. Each scene glides perfectly down to the next scheme and/or sentence. I love...will you send me chapter 2? Lmao ~Steph

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The picture never has anything to do with anything when it comes to you. :P Anyway, it's good, as always. I keep telling you your a better writer then me. And wasn't this story going to be my b-day gift. *snickers* Moving on... Keep writing Wolf. Just like you want me to complete my book you have to do the same. lol

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2008


Author

Calico-wolf
Calico-wolf

MD



About
I am 22 years old and a huge fan of anime. While my hobby used to be amv making I've had some recent failings in that and have turned more towards writing. Usually my writing starts as ideas I have ou.. more..

Writing