Part Two

Part Two

A Chapter by The Poet of Black Wings

The Rat House is appropriately named, as looking at the place from the outside you’re likely to see at the very least five of those little critters going in or out of the place. Luckily they’re nice and disease free. In fact, several commoners have taken to bringing the fellows home to keep as pets. Usually those people are drunk or otherwise under the influence, but they seem to be happy to have them regardless.

I was supposed to meet Elarin here, but I didn’t see her anywhere and she normally meets me outfront. I thought she might’ve just been running late. That happened sometimes, but it was snowing and cold so I figured I would go in anyway, maybe grab a drink to warm myself. The legal age was eighteen, but the bartender didn’t entirely mind I was a little too young, so long as I could pay for it.

When I got in there, I saw John - my friend and the man behind the zine- in the center of a merry crowd of drunkards singing along to the happy music in the bar. It looked like they were all celebrating. When he saw me he cheered my name and dragged me into the crowd.

“How ya doin” friend?” He said more than asked, grabbing me at the shoulder and nearly pulling out a red lock of my hair.  “Me? Well, I’m doin just right dandy.”

I couldn’t get a word in edgewise as he went on about the ridiculous success he and the magazine had today. People in the slums had been passing around copies all that morning, just to see what I had to say.  People in uptown have been purchasing them by the dozens - even if it was fear based - so they knew how to respond. I, left an impression and caused a reaction.

“Do you know what this all means?!” John asked me, earnestly hoping I did. I didn’t, though. “People finally have a little faith!”

Faith and hope, two things that had been missing for a long time, ever since my parents died. Because now they knew, a blue blood can have a heart too. This fact proven by a young noble-born girl.

The implications were numerous and good, however that didn’t mean things would change overnight. They knew a lot of nobles were still going to resist, but now it looked like equality could be achieved. Avalon, was about to change.

As I realized this, Elarin finally showed up. She had a wicked little grin on her face as she approached us.

“You won’t believe what just happened!” She said ecstatically, as the crowd moved around her.

“Right now, I can believe anything. Those b******s are finally paying attention! It was just yesterday that I thought it more likely for the wastes to shrink back into themselves before this would happen.” John replied, tripping over his words and himself a bit as he walked toward her.

Elarin gave him a smirk and a friendly little shove.

“I wasn’t talking to you, ya drunk.” She said jokingly.

“Eh, tell me anyway.” He insisted.

Elarin rolled her eyes at the man and pulled him with her as she came up to me.

“I’m about to be famous!”



© 2014 The Poet of Black Wings


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on September 20, 2014
Last Updated on September 20, 2014


Author

The Poet of Black Wings
The Poet of Black Wings

About
i hope my poems, among other writings, will speak for me. Edit - Full disclosure, if you ask me to read something, I will, and I'll be brutally honest about what I think about it. So, be ready for .. more..

Writing