Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by CJ Barnard

Chapter 2

Forks, Washington, population of 3783, also known as the logging capital of the world, you know, as in timber, wood. I never left this woody part of the world, even after graduating High School Here, though that wasn’t too long ago either, a year and a half to be exact. I drive to school every morning and back every evening. Seattle and back tends to get a bit hefty for me, especially on gas, so I managed to cut a deal with my lecturers. 

Being a second-year student, with a GPA well above average, I only do the drive once a week, to hand in any and all assignments and reports, and to collect the next weeks load. I was going fine, till exams came along. That’s when I would stay in a Guest house, just a little off campus.

Greenlake is picture perfect, or so I thought. The owner was a friend of a friend who knows my parents, so I get a good deal. I just didn’t think a short and continuous fling with their son would be the death of me.  You know the kind that picks up where it left off. And no, before you jump to conclusion Johnathan didn’t murder me.

Deucalion Winchester

It was two in the morning and Deucalion Winchester was still awake. Though hbis eyes were closed, he could hear everything around him. The hum from the after party his neighbours had, that only now seemed to be drawing to and end, though the music was still a loud and thudding noise, to the different number of engines being turned on and the sounds of those different vehicles pulling away, blasting their hooters in greeting. Deucalion lay in bed, counting the cars and number of voices from the party-goers.

Deucalion hardly slept, in fact he couldn’t remember the last time he had slept. And not the occasional thirty-minute power nap he caught on the go, but actually slept, the whole night through, uninterrupted. It seemed since the birth of his daughter, Dane, his mind never seemed to be able to shut off from the cruel and nasty world she was born into.

Deucalion wasn’t married, in fact if it was not for a prenatal test confirming that Dane is biologically his, he would have flat out denied her, he was usually very careful in his after work activities, and having very little memory, in fact none what so ever of having slept with her mother, he really did push for the test, and was hit back down to size when the confirmation came through.

Having counted at least twenty different voices and twelve different vehicles, things seemed to quiet down, even the thudding music was turned down to a respectful level. Deucalion having now officially been fully woken up, and he was sure the rest of the neighbourhood too, decided to get up, the though of coffee was all he needed to get out from under the warmth of his covers.

The kettle just clicked off to indicate the water was not at the correct temperature to make the perfect cup of boiling hot caffeinated, wake me up, start to anyone’s day, when his phone rang.




© 2019 CJ Barnard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You don't have any guidance for the reader in responding, so I'll just give general thoughts.

I had to flip back to the previous chapter several times, to situate these people and places in my mind. Not in a bad frustrating way, in a good, make me curious way. We are given a location for one character, but not the others. I don't know if this omission is necessary for the unfolding of the plot or not. It's not bad this way and it has piqued my interest, which is always a good thing. You're doing a good job of introducing the characters without sounding like Here is X character and these are their statistics. Showing, rather than telling. Excellent work. I have serous trouble with introducing characters, so I admire your facility. I look forward to reading more.

Posted 4 Years Ago


CJ Barnard

4 Years Ago

This chapter now shows you where the story is playing out, even though the first two detectives do n.. read more
SweetNutmeg

4 Years Ago

Hahaha, no telling! Gotta let me find out on my own!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2019
Last Updated on June 22, 2019


Author

CJ Barnard
CJ Barnard

Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa



About
I live in my own world insode my head. The silance I portray is not what goes on inside my mind. I can go days without uttering a word from my lips, the conversations i have in my own mind and the sto.. more..

Writing