Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by CJ Barnard

Chapter 3

My room in the Green’s guest house, yes Greenlake is named after the owners, and the lake has to do with a small stream that runs past the house at the bottom of the garden.

Jonathan and I used to take morning runs alongside it, right into town, then turn up, and come street side back up. Even when the lake was iced over due to winter, we would still run the same stretch. Once I slipped on the snow, and Jonathan tried to support my fall, but we both ended up rolling around in it instead, laughing our heads off, that was the first time he kissed me, I still remember it like it happened yesterday.

Anyway, I got little off track there, my room, is on the top of the stairs, third door to the right. I have my own bathroom, as well as a balcony. The room is decorated simply. A double bed against the back all with bed side tables on either side and uplighters on top, vintage Victorian styled. A writing desk against the opposite wall, though I think other guests use it as a vanity desk and chair, my laptop is atop it. My suitcase is tucked neatly under the bed, with my clothing hanging or folded, depending on what it is, in the closet and my shoes neatly arranged at the base of the closet. The bed is decorated in a floral printed spread, everything is as I had left it the morning before. Neat, tidy, made up. Clean.

Paige Lavender

It wasn’t the running or the crying or being out of her whitts scared that had awaken Paige Lavender, it was the scream. She bolted upright in her bed, her body and bedding soaked from the sweat still running down her forehead, he heart was beating so fast and hard she thought it would beat right out of her chest, her breath coming in gasps, as if she had just finished a marathon race. Turning to face the digital clock on her nightstand, she groaned.

It was only two in the morning, and Paige knew she would not be able to fall back into blissful sleep again. Climbing out of bed, her knees still weak from the hellish nightmare of a dream she woke from, she walked over to her adjoining bathroom, flicking on the light, she turned on the facet and let the water run for a few seconds as she studied her own reflection in the mirror.

She was unnaturally pale, rolling her eyes she let out a laugh, all those mystery novels and movies she had been watching and reading were finally catching up to her. She splashed the cool crisp water over her face and almost instantly stumbled backwards.

The images of the dead girl in her dream coming back to her. The eyes still damp from crying, cheeks still flushed from running. Paige tried to shake the image, but it would not leave her.

So instead she took her phone from the nook where it was charging and turned on the video recorder, sitting down she tried her hardest to recall the image and describe her dream in total and with as much detail as she possibly could remember. Thinking it would make an awesome new Novel, this was normal for her, as it was the base and starting line for all her best-selling books.




© 2019 CJ Barnard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

D****t, I wrote this really great review and somehow lost it! I will try to recreate it.

As a romance writer, I long to hear more about their kiss. Just a line or two, showing us a bit more, instead of just telling us they kissed.

I think I am understanding the structure of the story now. The first passage of every chapter is the dead woman, and the second passage is another, named person? Tell me if I'm getting this right. I'm still a bit confused, but i have a high tolerance for accepting that I don't understand, in the trust that it will make sense soon. I think most mystery readers have that type of tolerance too. But I do hope it becomes more clear.

One tiny technical comment... you lose your "wits" not "whitts."

Great chapter and I look forward to more!

Posted 4 Years Ago


CJ Barnard

4 Years Ago

Hi,
Yes you have it nailed down
The first passage is always going to be the dead girl.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2019
Last Updated on June 22, 2019


Author

CJ Barnard
CJ Barnard

Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa



About
I live in my own world insode my head. The silance I portray is not what goes on inside my mind. I can go days without uttering a word from my lips, the conversations i have in my own mind and the sto.. more..

Writing