Chapter 4 TTA Gets Going and Bad Guy Time Travelers Attack!!

Chapter 4 TTA Gets Going and Bad Guy Time Travelers Attack!!

A Chapter by CaptainBill
"

Jim leads TTA, works with President and Congress. Gets cures for diseases and transporter plans, from the future. Sets trap for Bad Guys, and ambushes them.

"

           TTA Gets Going and Bad Guys Attack!!

             by Captain Bill

 

Jim and Dr. Gooden sit together, and Jim says on the phone, “Thanks for taking my call.  We need to talk about policy and procedures.  I’ll bring some of my people.  Whoever you bring has to sign the agreement.  And no recording.  A stenographer is okay with me, same agreement.  I’ll send you the items, and my recommendations by secure fax.”

The President laughs, and says, “I asked you to do the job right, but I didn’t know you would be telling me my job two weeks after you started yours.  An approved budget of $4 Billion does that, I guess.”

Jim says, “You’re the boss.  And I need to set up policy and procedure with you.  They will be your decisions.  I can resign if I can’t live with it, like anyone else in your government.”

The President says, “Is tonight at 5 PM soon enough?  Amanda will be mad, but I’ll tell her who it’s for.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim says, “I’ll just go through the items.  I’ve set up a room to communicate with the time travel people of the future.  The first thing I’ll tell them is our Code.  I’ll ask for theirs.  I’ll ask for something small.  Can they give us the cure for Lou Gehrig’s disease?”

          “They have communicated with me already, in previous months.  Now that the rogue agency is gone, I’m thinking that they might communicate with us in a more regular way.  I don’t think we should become dependant on them, or become their servants in this time.  I don’t know if they will see us as equals or allies.  I need your instructions on that.  I don’t know what we have to offer.  We’re like the Hawaiians in outriggers looking at Captain Cook’s flagship.  They negotiated and even killed Captain Cook.  But Cook’s civilization had almost all the cards.  They could give us transporter capability, and time travel ability.  We can get it ourselves, but it might take generations.  We know it exists, after all.”

The President says, “Proceed like you said.  I won’t give up US sovereignty, so I’ll have the final word on any offers from them or to them.  Yes, that one’s clear. What’s next?”

Jim says, “I not going to ask or offer anything if we don’t have a capability for it.  If they ask something from us, you’ll decide.  Clear.  If there is a Hitler in twenty years and they ask for our help, that is something we’re thinking about.  Again, your decision.  I’m thinking the way intelligence operations are done now is a good example.  You approve it, we will do it, and there is a time period to notify the Oversight Committee.  I have some Emergency powers, but if I abuse it, I can be removed for cause.”

Stu says, “We can work with that, Mr. President.  We can work out the details together.  I like it.”

            The President says, “Next item.”

Jim says, “One thing we are looking at is lost art treasures from the past.  If we can recover them, we need a law in place for how to handle that.  I’ll accept an Executive Order to start with.”

The President says, “What you propose looks fine.  Stu will give you my final word.”

Jim says, “Item Number One in our Code has to be Non Interference and Non Disclosure to other times, unless otherwise approved.  Actions changing things in other times will have to be approved.  Item Number Two concerns Hostilities toward us; we have to be able to respond.  Item Number Three: the TTA gets orders from the US President, and reports to the Oversight Committee, and follows US laws where applicable.”

The President says, “You’ll get the Executive Orders that you asked for.  I hope we have a week before the whole world changes.  I can see that transporter technology alone would change everything. Thanks, Mr. Director.”

Jim says, “I can’t guarantee you a week.  I hope to hear about it first and guide things.  Last question, something I’d like from you.  What about Roswell?  If there are aliens around, that will add another set of questions to what we do.  In my limited experience, I have the feeling that we are dealing with a future TTA, much like ourselves.  Don’t know for sure.  Aliens could be wise and benevolent, or not?  Another set of calculations.  Tell me about Roswell and anything similar.”

The President says, “I was joking about the week.  Hmm… you weren’t.  Stu, check that for me.  No evasions.  I need to know.  So does the Director.”   Stu nods.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

The President talks on the phone: “Jim, I saw you yesterday.  This isn’t a social call, is it?”

Jim says, “I need to see you.”

The President says, “I’ve got a busy schedule today.  Can it wait until 5PM?”

Jim says, “I’m don’t think you would want to.  Something very good, and a big problem.  I need your input, ASAP.”

The President says, “Just get here.  Wait in the outer office.  Stu will squeeze you in.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim, Doc and Connie sit in the President’s Office.  Stu sits next to the President.

The President says, “What have you got, Mr. Director?”

Jim hands papers to the President and the Chief of Staff, and says, “The first communication came through.  This is a copy.  The original is being analyzed.  This is part of Connie’s duties.  I might need to send her to see you on occasion, so I brought her now.    ‘An excellent start, Mr. Director.  Your Code is part of our Code.  Here is a cure for the disease that you can do in your time.  There is a genetic component, and a pharmaceutical component.  Details follow:  XXXX.  Tell your President.  You cannot tell the Oversight Committee if Senator Graves is on it.’ “

The President says, “The first one, and already a Constitutional crisis!”

Stu says, “Not really, Mr. President.  We can try to handle this back channel, or give the committee the choice.  It can work one way or another.”

The President says, “I take your meaning.  Get Diane on the phone right now, and I mean right now, whatever she’s doing.”  (a pause)

The President says, “Sorry, Diane, something’s come up that needs our personal attention…. I know this phone is secure.  Not good enough … Now would be good… no, it can’t wait until 6PM. … I’ll send my limo …”

          “Can I ask you folks to wait in the conference room?  I’ve got a full schedule with Very Important People who have scheduled appointments.  Stu, get them in and out until Diane gets here.  We’ll meet in the conference room.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Senator Fineberg smiles, glances at Jim, and says, “I suspected I might see you here.”

The President hands her the paper, and says, “We have heard from the future.  And I want to prevent a Constitutional crisis.  Read this.  But you can’t take it.”

Senator Fineberg reads intently, and then says, “I see.  I’ll ask him to step aside.  Plan B is this: Can you testify first, Mr. President,  with the Director available? I’ll ask the President pro temps to be there and I’ll brief the Senate’s Sergeant at Arms. Is 3PM tomorrow acceptable for a meeting with the Oversight Committee?”

The President says, “I’ll be there if you request me.  Stu, be ready to reschedule tomorrow.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

An angry Senator Graves says, “I will not leave this Committee.  I have been duly appointed.  I have not violated the Confidential Agreement.  I have done nothing wrong.  Congress is a separate branch of government.  We will not be dictated to by an unelected Director for Life.  His order is an outrage!”

Senator Fineberg says, “The President has agreed to testify here on a priority basis.  We know he has a busy schedule, so I will call him now.”

The President says, “I have received a communication from the Director.  I have read it.  Part of that communication says that it cannot be reported to this Committee if Senator Graves is here.  I will not compel the Director to report to you.  I will not remove him for this, I will support him.  He will report to this Committee if you make it possible.  I can tell you it will be worthwhile.  I can also tell you that he faced the threat of chemicals from the former rogue director, and didn’t buckle.  The decision is yours.  Good day!” 

The President leaves.

Senator Graves says, “Mr. Director, you will take the witness chair, and you will tell us about this communication.”

Jim doesn’t move, and Senator Graves is angry again. “Sergeant at arms, you will place the Director in the witness chair, and restrain him.”

The sergeant at arms does not move.

Senator Fineberg says, “I ask for a handcount of Committee people, that Senator Graves be escorted from this meeting.”  (Nine right hands are raised)

The senate president pro temps says, “Senator Graves, your appointment is rescinded.  I appoint myself to that position, for today’s meeting. Sergeant at arms, you may proceed.”   ‘I protest.’  ‘An outrage.’

Jim sits in the witness chair, with a small stack of papers. “My thanks to the Joint Committee.  I must ask the Senator President pro temps if he has signed the Confidentiality Agreement.” He nods.

Jim passes the papers around, and says, “I received this communication yesterday, and told the President in person as fast as possible.  I am here today.  I have a staffer here who can testify to the authenticity of the communication.  Before you question her or me, let me give my recommendation for handling the medical information.  This Committee, the President  and myself will pick a company that has the ability to produce the cure.  Capability and ethics will both be considered.  The lowest bid will not.  A cost plus 10% contract will be licensed to this company.  Our accountants can set aside unwarranted costs.  The license can be removed at our discretion.  The cure will be for a price decided by the government.  It is your decision what to do with this, or what to release about it.  It could be done secretly.  I will not make that decision, but it will reveal to the world that we have some success with time travel.  I will abide by the decisions of the President and the Oversight Committee.  My staffer will report on receiving the message, and then you can ask us questions you might have.  Connie ?”

Connie says, “We have a secure and electronically isolated room set up at the facility.  No one is inside it.  I check it once every hour as part of my duties.  No one else enters.  There is also 24 hour video surveillance.   We were active starting two days ago.  Yesterday I saw the communication when I checked the room at 10AM.  I reviewed the surveillance tapes, and no one and nothing else was observed in the room for that previous hour.”

Congresswoman July asks, “Mr. Director, this paper looks like an answer to a question rather than a simple statement.  Can you tell us something about that?”

Jim says, “Yes, Maam.  I placed a letter in the communication room addressed to them.  It was on a simple placard, like a typed letter with bigger type. I will provide that letter to you. There are the two typewriters that received my previous personal letters from them, with a sheet of paper in them.  The letter gave our Code, asked them what was their Code, told them I received orders from the President and reported to the Joint Oversight Committee, and asked if they had a cure for Lou Gehrig’s disease.  Unlike previous communications, it didn’t disappear.”

Remarks: ‘Extraordinary!’ ‘It’s started already.’  ‘Excellent.’

Senator Blackman asks, “Is the Committee going to see this remarkable communication in its original form?”

Jim says, “You have my word that the message has been passed along in its entirety.  But TTA secrets are involved in the details of the way the message was received.  It is being analyzed now.  I will report at the appropriate time.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim, Doc, May, Marianne, Dianne, Bob, Russel and  Connie sit at the conference table. 

Jim says, “First, what do we want to do with the next communication? It looks like we get what we ask for.  I wonder how far we can go with that?”

Doc says, “The thing we need first is transporter capability.

Connie says, “We need everything.  We should make a list and just ask another after we get one answered.”

Russel says, “We have to be careful.  We don’t really know what they want from us.  Do we want to be totally dependant on them, for everything?”

Marianne says, “If we have what they give us, that makes us independent, not dependant.  We will have what they give us, so they can’t deny it to us later, if it is knowledge or plans for technology. We will build it ourselves.

Jim says, “Some good thoughts, all.  Now to work.  Marianne, write up the next letter.  Thank them, and ask for transporter theory and plans.  Dianne, I want you to gather everything written on time travel and transporter technology, and further ideas on our Code. Most of it will be science fiction writers. They did some thinking.  We need it. Write it up.  Then interview all the authors that agree to Confidentiality.  I think they would be happy to contribute.  What they already said is in print, but they can’t say we asked about it.  Bob, since you are going to be an analyst here, start by analyzing the effects of this cure in our society, and analyze what knowledge of time travel has done here and now, and project further effects. Russel, I want to know what the engineers have about transporters right now.  Connie, I want an update about how much microwave exposure humans can take.  I’m talking safety limits, immediate and long term.  Marianne, include a question about microwave effectiveness as a TT countermeasure in that letter.  Let me see it before you write the big copy.  Doc, we’re going to need that power, sooner than later.  I can just feel it.  We need heavy lines to the grid, ASAP.  And push them on the plans for the nuclear plant.  One might not be enough. See what’s up with ConEd. May, I need to see where the money is going.  Spend the money.  Just make sure that it’s accounted for.  No penny pinching.  No waiting a week or a month.  Some things are going to work, a lot of them won’t.  Negative knowledge is still knowledge.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Dr. Sung says, “What is so important you called me away from my rounds?  Who is ‘someone in the government’?”

Jim says, “You didn’t return my calls.  I need to talk to a medical guy I can trust, and I called three times already.”

Dr. Sung says, “Is this Jim?  ‘The Spaceman’ ? Why didn’t you say so?  Oh… Secrets!  We miss you here.  It was refreshing when the administrators were upset instead of the nurses and doctors.  This isn’t a social call, is it?”

Jim says, “I hate that Spaceman stuff.  Okay, I need a list from you: the top ten medical problems that have no solution, that affect the most people.  Put them in order, most important first, greatest good for the greatest number.  Your best estimate is good enough.  Make it 20 if you have some time.  Don’t include Lou Gehrig’s. Whatever you can get me today would be appreciated.  Here’s my fax: write it down.  It’s all secret, what I asked you.”

Dr. Sung says, “I’ve been hearing rumbles about Lou Gehrig’s.  That was yours, huh!  Excellent!  We got something for that $4 Bil, and more coming.  Cheap at the price!”

Jim says, “Keep it a secret for now.  It’ll be announced soon.  Send it to me today, Dr. Sung.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Connie gives Jim a paper, saying “You’re going to love this one.  So is Congress, with all the special interests.”

            “TTA:

            What you call ‘cancer’ is 787 separate diseases. 

            All of them have multiple causes.  Environmental poisons affect  most of them.  Genetics is one of multiple causes for some, but poisons make it much worse.  You already know the poisons, and their effects.  Our time takes poison out of our food, our drinking water and the air.  You put poisons into your food, water, and the air.  How can we help with that?  You know and you do it to yourselves.”

Jim says, “This one will be so very secret, won’t it? Okay, Connie, retype it, and hand deliver copies to the President and the Committee.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Russel says, “The engineers want to see you.  They say a working model is getting close.  It’s huge, compared to the plans that came through.  They’re doing the best they can with existing materials and processes.  They say there are a few either / or choices to make.  I’m glad you pushed on the power.  We’re going to need a lot. Jim, I can’t figure out why they are doing it.  I get the feeling a blindside slam to the head is waiting right around the corner.”

Jim says, “Let’s go see the engineers now.  Keep thinking, stay alert, and tell me when you figure it out.  You’ve always had good instincts.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim and Russel met with the President and the Chief of Staff.

The President says, “We finally have a meeting that could wait for the end of the day.  What’s up?”

Russel  says, “The Director wants me to talk to you.  It’s speculation.  But I finally had some ideas of why future TTA is being so good to us.  We were already using microwaves to protect Fort Knox and the money at the Federal Reserve.  We weren’t even sure if it worked, but no gold or money came up missing when it was on.  Future TTA confirmed it, and told us the best frequencies and to improve our randomization.  This could be used against them.  So why would they do it?  Unless they also have Time Travel enemies.  And need us to be armed against them.  It’s like Captain Cook and the Hawaiians.  All they really needed was fresh water.  A base in the area was a plus.  And there were some goodies, like fresh food after a long voyage.  Nice, but not essential.  I won’t say much about Polynesian women before the missionaries came.  Not PC, but you can figure it out.  Not essential, but nice.

I’m thinking they see trouble coming.  A hostile TTA between our times that we can affect now.  Maybe one after them.  Maybe they need a safe haven.  Or allies that owe them.  They might want smart allies that will fight with them, not mass mindless hordes.

If so, we need our Army deployed around the TTA, now! And we need to secretly develop some microwave weapons, that could disrupt time travel soldiers popping up among us.  A micro wave rifle, like the laser rifle on Star Trek.

The President says, “I had some questions myself.  Okay, we’ll do all of that, ASAP.  Under my powers as Commander in Chief, I’m declaring this a secret.  Including the Oversight Committee.  Anything else on this, Jim.”

Jim says, “Diplomacy.  Should we ask, hint, or just wait for them?   They are good about responding to a direct question, and they haven’t volunteered anything yet.  Should we wait until we have some capabilities?  Are the bad guys reading their mail, our mail?  Your call, Mr. President.”  

“Also, I’ve activated the nuke in my basement.  A threat like that will work best if it is publicized.  That will also let everyone know that we have something worth stealing.  Again, your call.”

Stu says, “Let’s think about it, maybe bring in some pros to work the angles.  With the Agreement, of course.  Timing is going to be important.  It has to be released sometime, but we have to build up to it.  We can start moving the army into position tomorrow.”

Jim says, “I need for you to consider the character angle for the Commander, and the top levels.  It would be a disaster to have the troops protecting us to decide to join someone’s raid for the tech, or more probably, to attack our tech, for their own reasons.  There will be the temptation.”

The President says, “I wouldn’t have thought of that.  Stu, figure out how to do that. And see if we could produce the microwave weapons at a Federal arsenal.  I don’t know how much of that we have left.  Check on it, Stu.”  Stu nods. 

“Jim, our level handles the diplomacy.  We’ve been doing that for a long time.  We’ll tell you how we want to do it.”

Jim says, “Last point.  We’ve gotten somewhere with TTA.  If I have to blow the place, there should be records and reports of what we have done.  Problem is, those records would be easier to steal from where they are hidden than from us.  We won’t send things over the wire, so we’re talking about couriers, for the updates.  A regular pattern would be possible to spot.”

The President says, “All good points.  Stu, put it on the list.  And keep thinking about all of it, you two.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

The next day, the President answers his private line at 10AM, “Can’t give me two hours to do my day job, can you?  What do you need?”

Jim says, “Face to face can wait ‘til 6PM.  I’m sending Connie with something on paper.  I don’t want to be a day or a nail short.”

The President says, “Future of the civilized world hanging in the balance, I assume.”

Jim says, “Boss, we’re on the phone”.

The President says, “I’ll have a treat for you at 6. Until then, I’ve still got one little country to run.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Connie’s hand delivery:

         “Russel figured the final piece.  It all fits.  I need the Star Trek rifles ASAP.  Suggest 3 pieces, each from a separate location.  Stock, hi-tech battery, microwave body.  My team will assemble, distribute and train.  We really do need them yesterday.  Set up manufacture sites ASAP, design to follow.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

At 6PM, Jim, Russel, the President, Stu, and a general with two stars on his shoulder boards sit at the conference table.

Jim says, “Before we start, turn on the microwave unit to setting three.”  Stu does it.

The President says, “Let me introduce the commanding general of the Big Red One.  He’s already signed the paper.”

The general says, “Mr. Director, on point again?  How many times in one life? Or is it two lives?  I was under orders in Seattle.  When my men faced down the suits, I thought about it, and backed them all the way.  Good enough?” 

Jim nods, and points to Russel, who says: “Let me lead the general through it.  What if you have two giants, close to equal, faced off against each other?  One of them finds a small backward client state to train up as an ally and a player in the big game.  How would the big bad guys handle it?

The general says, “They could hit the little guy any time before operational.  Best to have the other team put in all its resources, and hit them at the final moment for max shock value, both to the client and to the big guy.  Maybe a vulnerable moment sometime in there.”

Russel says, “How would the good guys be doing it?”

The general says, “Build the client state as fast as possible.  Make it an ally.  Use it for extra leverage if it makes it.  Watch for the moment of max engagement when the bad guys attack the client, then hit the bad guys at a weak point.”

Russel asks, “What does the client state do?”

The general say, “First, build up as fast as possible.  Then last as long as possible, to give the big guy the best chance.  Then just survive.”

The general smiles a feral grin, matched by Russel and Jim.

The President says, “Do you three Cheshire cats want to enlighten us mere civilians?  We are your leadership, after all?”

The general says, “If we hide our readiness, and show something when we are ready for it, we can set up the time and position for their attack.  Can’t guarantee we’ll win it, but we’ll give them a bloody nose at least.  Max damage from our side, in any case.  That about it, Russel?”

Russel says, “Pretty good for a brass hat.  I’ll bet you were never in Military Intelligence.”  (They both laugh.)

“Sorry, private joke.  We’ll be setting up microwave generators to blanket the areas we want.  It’ll disrupt the bad guys transporting in.  Like radiation sickness, but faster.  We think it works by disrupting positions of atoms at the molecular level.  Too many, and the one transported is just atoms, not a live person that can do anything.  With our microwave rifles, we just fire at shadows and shimmers as they appear.  Same thing.  Once they are here, regular weapons for what they will be worth.  Formations and units will be ragged from these losses, and hopefully, vulnerable.  We use setting One for Fort Knox.  No people can be in the area.  Anyone transporting in will be just atoms.  Setting Two will stop the transporters, and we can survive it for short periods.  We know the numbers already.  Level three is okay for longer period of times.  With extra power, the transportees might make it.  Might not.  We’ll be setting up ambush areas.

The general, “You’ve done the thinking, excellent.  Do my men get any of these new rifles?”

Russel says, “Line up the squads.  We’ll train them at the TTA range with the prototypes.  We’ll distribute as we get them.  Our teams first, but we don’t have that many men and women.”

The President says, “Yes, I see the pattern, Russel.  It all fits.  Your plans are excellent too.  Do it.  Stu…”

Stu says, “Best I can, Mr. President.  I was busy before, but these last few weeks have been crazy busy.  Will do, sir.”

Jim says, “We’re hiding a lot. Cover stories and all.  Future TTA couldn’t say it without starting it.  When we ask the right questions, that can start it.  We can be on full alert when we send the message.  That’s your job to put it together, Mr. President.”

“I turned off the nuke.  Part of their plan will be to get me to blow it myself.  They already have everything, so we don’t have to worry about that one.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

May is at TT range, using one of the Star Trek rifles.  The target has sensors inside.  May lets the rifle sag after each shot.  Sergeant Phil is shooting in the next lane.  He observes May for a few moments. 

He asks May, “That isn’t too much gun for you, is it?  I thought you packed a .380?  I saw you on TV with the First Lady.”

May says, “It’s heavy, but no recoil.  I’m slow but accurate.  It’s for my babies, and Jim.”

Sergeant Phil says, “I see you only shoot at the 10’ and 20’ foot targets.”

May says, “If I have to shoot anything, it will that close.”

Sergeant Phil says, “I was an armorer for one tour.  I could cut that down for you.  With half the stock and the barrel shorter, it would be lighter and easier to handle.  Good enough for short work.”

May considers him, and says, “That would be very nice.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim says, “We can figure that they will transfer into our TTA communication room.  We’ve never had microwaves in there.  What do you have for that?”

Russel says, “We can hardwire it now, and attach sensors and all just before the Message.  Hardwired to your office.  Laser sensors with max sensitivity.  A shadow or shimmer, and microwave setting One comes on.  And microwave motion detectors, very low power.  That is the cover story too.  Industrial grade full power lasers.  Set guns.  No more motion, reset.  Rinse and repeat.  Multiple sets of sensors and everything, protected until deployed.  I don’t know how many times it can work before they figure it out.  We should get a few waves for sure. If their transport is automated, we could get a lot of them.  If they check before they transport, the microwave is not on. Until.  You can leave ours automated, or take manual control.  Sandbagged firing positions covering the only exit.  Firing positions built into the walls.  Looks like air vents now.  Surrounded by bricks and concrete.  The shooter can get out crawling backwards, but it’s probably do or die.  Same thing in the cafeteria.  A few other places.  Micro waves, sandbagged and air vent positions covering the whole facility.

Jim says, “Excellent.  What about the civilians?”

Russel says, “Tight areas like bomb shelters.  Microwaves deployed inside and out.  Some security.  Don’t have much to spare.  Both here and the living quarters.”

Jim says, “And the Army?”

Russel says, “The Army is covered.  Microwaves set to cover their positions and nearby.  Gun safes near the squads, with our new weapons.  The sergeants for the squads have the keys.  Cover story is Match Grade weapons, and sniper .50s.  Everyone’s got back up power.  We can have it on standby.  The general’s got everyone briefed down to sergeant.   They are ready now.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Connie says, “I got the Message from the President.  It asks about future TTA enemies and offers a full alliance.”

Jim says, “Type it up in the dark, with the microwave on setting Two.  Cover it with the black sheet.  Tell me when you are ready.  I’ll start the alert now.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

The attacks start 15 minutes after Connie removes the black sheet in the commo room.  The attacks just keep coming in, being destroyed, coming in, being destroyed.  Probably 8 at time.  300 vaporized TT attackers before one makes it out the door. 

The Army has a turkey shoot.  A heavy duty tower falls over with lightning sparks and power is lost, then restored smoothly. TT attackers appear in their camps, even on the flattened tents.  Many are just atoms, many are disoriented and die soon after.  Shimmers and shadows are targeted and disappear.  A few soldiers in silver body suits last and start shooting with weapons like ray guns.  They take a lot of hits, but finally go down.    There are some casualties, but not many.  There are prisoners in silver suits with hands raised high, saying ’Merde!,’ ‘Sacre Bleu!’ and ‘Ami, Ami’.  The general says, ‘The French!  Even in the future!’

In the TTA building, the ambush areas have shimmers then microwaves on Level One.  TTA is automated, the bad guys transporting in seem automated.  Shimmer, microwave, reset, shimmer, microwave, reset.  The Cafeteria looks like 40 at a time. 

Jim watches the monitors and works the manual settings, shifting from Level Three to Level Two, and sometimes Level One.  May and two security people cover Jim’s back, firing the Star Trek rifles at shimmers.  May mutters, ‘No prisoners’ over and over again.

Marta is in an air vent firing position, putting rounds into the center of mass.  She is on semi auto, round after round.  She thinks that the silver suits spread the impact, like Kevlar body armor.  That would make a bad bruise, then a bone deep bruise, then pulverized flesh with more and more hits.  When another silver suit comes out of the commo room, Martha puts out the rounds, changes clips, puts out the rounds. ‘I love shooting up the bad guys.’  A line of laser fire comes into her air vent from the side, and neatly severs her hand from the forearm.  The hand drops.  No bleeding, either side.  Martha changes clips awkwardly, then resumes fire, using the stump to steady the rifle.

Connie is in a sandbagged position with her M-16.  The position is not the one directly across from the commo room, but has the commo room at a 60 degree angle.  She fires at each Silver Suit that emerges.   She fires and fires, seeing the impact of each round as it strikes.  The bullet flattens and does not penetrate.  But each target goes down after it has been hit multiple times from a number of shooters.  Perhaps twenty Silver Suits have come out, and now form a stack outside the doorway.  When number 21 emerges, Connie starts shooting again.  She doesn’t see three Silver Suits coming up the aisle behind her, from the cafeteria.  All three fire their ray guns at Connie and her partner in the sandbagged position.  A red laser line slices from the left neck and shoulder of Connie to the right armpit.  The head and right arm of Connie slide off the trunk of her body.  There is no bleeding.

The attacks stop after 45 minutes.  Estimated attackers: 5000.  Jim thinks  the  power to transport them had to be astronomical, especially trying to get through the microwaves.  KIA, 4600.  Prisoners, 400.  Army KIA 40, WIA 80.  TTA Security. KIA 10, WIA 25.  Connie didn’t make it.

Jim puts one of the original typewriters back in the commo room.  A message comes through.  

“To the President:  Alliance accepted.  All French TT power plants captured or destroyed.  Unconditional Surrender Expected.”

“To Friend:

You have done well…

            I had no idea you would get it all done, but you did.

            It was not an accident when I met you the first time.

Yes, Diogenes.  One honest man.  Smart and fearless too.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 



© 2013 CaptainBill


Author's Note

CaptainBill
Thanks for your review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on March 4, 2013
Last Updated on March 4, 2013
Tags: Time Travel


Author

CaptainBill
CaptainBill

San Francisco, CA



About
Like Science Fiction, especially military SF. I love wilderness backpacking, like High Sierras, Grand Canyon, Marble Mountain in Ca. more..

Writing