Chapter 1  Impossible Dream

Chapter 1 Impossible Dream

A Chapter by CaptainBill
"

Retired guy goes back in time to meet his present wife as young woman, knowing previous life.

"

 

                           Impossible Dream

                                  by CaptainBill

 

“To friend Jim.  Here letter and 2 keys.

Thank for help.   The time I see you first, I just come and dizzy and forget.  You help mission start.  Money in hand must this time. 

Move in time and space need energy.  Much energy for time.  I have energy after mission, I give you.  I take your memories and move to your same body 45 years ago.  This your impossible dream.  You have now.  I put items in gun safe for you.   Plane crash, ship sink, destruction of war.  Many items lost.  Your television Star Trek have transporter.  Easy transport item to gun safe in cave, repeat some times,  transport full gun safe to you.

Do not change Big Thing, do not tell Big Thing.  Little thing okay.  Change Big Thing, I come back.  Very bad for you, very bad for me.  Can tell wife only, but this secret secret.

You call conscious self soul.  A body can transport, and the same soul is there. Cannot move memories and have same soul.  But can be with same body.  The body and soul you came from still there in that time.  But you can make now other choices.  Much I not know.  But you have impossible dream. 

May Lee  Acc 203  Bus 122   M W F 2pm  Fall Quarter

Work  at Lee Pastry Shop  832 Jackson

Maybe see in 45 years.

This paper disappear at 12pm.  Show no one.”

 

 

      Jim wakes in the family house and looks at a letter and two keys on the small table next to his bed.   He feels his stomach, and it doesn’t feel right.  Like something is missing.  He gets up, thinking he had an interesting dream last night.  His stomach…  it’s gone!  He feels it again.  No ‘spare tire’.  Jim thinks ‘I going to have to keep it like this, no matter what.  That funny guy did it.  Let me see that paper again.’  Jim reads it closely.   He throws on some pants and a shirt, and runs for the bathroom.  The mirror…  He sees a young high school kid, average size, hazel eyes, brown medium length hair combed to the right, and a few zits on his face.  ‘Well, well, it’s me, but a long time ago.’  Then Jim goes into the living room, looking for a newspaper or something with a date.  There’s a magazine… March, 45 years ago !!

      “Mom, what day is it?”      

      “Jimmy, you are up early.  Don’t you know that you are on Easter vacation?  It’s Saturday, silly! Your oatmeal is ready.”

      Jim goes and gets the letter, folds it, puts it in his front pocket, followed by both keys.  One key names a storage company, and the address is printed below.  Then Jim hurries into the kitchen, and fills a bowl with oatmeal and one tablespoon of sugar.  He sits at the dining room table and starts eating. 

     Mom says, “Jimmy, you can put milk on that.  I got some yesterday.”

     Jim says, “Oatmeal’s healthy, milk isn’t. No milk for me.”

     Mom says, “I never heard that before.  And just one spoon of sugar.  That’s new.”

     Jim finishes the oatmeal, puts on his jacket on, and says, “I’ll be back in a while.  Bye, Mom.”

     Jim walks six blocks to the storage company, enters the office, shows his key, and signs the register.   He walks over two aisles until he finds the door that matches the number on the key.  He uses the key, swings the door open, turns on a light and closes the door behind him.

     A big metal cabinet sits there.  Jim thinks, ‘So that is a gun safe.  Big enough for a number of guns, and nobody gets shot by accident.  Big and heavy.’

    The second key has an unusual and unique shape, and Jim uses it to open the gun safe.  There are 5 rifle shapes wrapped in grey canvas standing on one side.  There are stacks of green dollars on the other side.  ‘Wow!’ thinks Jim.  There are bundles of $20 dollar bills, and $100 dollar bills.  And  round brown tubes with the ends open showing gold coins inside.  There are some small leather pouches next to the gold coins.  Jim opens one, and there are white, yellowish, and bluish crystals, along with red and green ones.  Jim thinks ‘Diamonds and more.’  And there are two paintings leaning on the back wall of the gun safe.  Jim puts some $100 and $20 bundles in his pockets, locks up and leaves.

      Jim thinks ‘I don’t have to go to school now, but I want the education.  I want to keep this secret so I know what people really think of me, without knowing that I have a lot of money.  There are some classmates that didn’t treat me right, because of my dad and because they were jealous that I was smarter than them.  I’ll just forget about them, and ignore them.  And I do want a good job when I get out of school, so I will have my eye on that.  I think it is better to work at a real job in contact with real people.  I could be a playboy with this kind of money.  That has its attractions.  But I would rather have a good wife and a nice family, so I’ll do my part.’

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

    “Mom, I need some help.”

    “Okay.”

    “Mom, I got a big gift from a friend.  It’s a big secret and has to stay secret from everyone, but I promise that it is honest and legal.  You believe that, right?”

     “Yes, Jimmy, I believe you.  You’ve always been the good example.  What kind of gift?  And secret from the family?  And your Dad?  I’m not sure I can do that.”

     “Mom, being secret is part of the deal.  I need some help.  Can you add me to your car insurance now?  Today?  I have the money for it.  I need to buy a car and go to Seattle to do some things for school.  Maybe Monday.  Here’s $500 for you.  Tell me how much is the insurance, and I’ll give you more.  When I find the car I want, can you sign for me?  I’m still 17.  And you can put your name and my name on the car registration.   I’m not asking anything illegal, or hard.”

      “Jimmy, I’m surprised.  I’ll help with what you asked.  But what do I tell your dad later? Or your younger brothers and sisters?”

       “Just say it is an anonymous gift, that is all you know.  And it must be kept secret, or I will lose it. And that is the truth.” 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

Jim begins the fall quarter living in Campion Hall.  On an early visit, he picked up the first books to be studied, the Upanishads and the Bhagavad-Gita. He got a few discussion guides from a senior student, so he is ready to participate in the first discussions.  So he starts well.

Father O’Brien asks, “On page 7, it says ‘All is illusion.’  Does this have a meaning?

Bob raises his hand, and says: “I believe that what the author means is this.  That the spiritual world is the real world.  And the spiritual world can be reached through contemplation.”

Jim raises his hand, and says: “On page 9, it says ‘The Atman is All.’  This is like our God, but it is different, too.  Notice that the text says that all people have the atman within themselves.  This is atman with a small ‘a’.  So when a person discovers the atman within themselves, they become part of the big Atman.  The continuing act of contemplation of this unity is nirvana.

Marianne raises her hand, and says:  “I’m not clear if the person discovering the atman is lost in the big Atman, or still retains an identity.”

Father O’Brien says, “You have hit a key problem with Indian philosophy.  Where does the individual fit in?  For that matter, where does the physical world we know fit in, if all is illusion?”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

            Jim gets all of his books early.  He has some money now, so he isn’t caught in the problems of financial aid and scholarship students.  They can’t get any money until the first day of classes, and their tuition is paid.  Even then they don’t get cash.  Many texts and other books are sold out, and for the ones that are left, they had to wait in a long special line to have the amount of the books deducted from their account.  Used books go quickly, so the financial aid students never have a chance for them.  The bookstore doesn’t want to lose time or money, so they never stock enough.

            Jim had always been the smart kid in school.  His best friend in high school was the other smart kid.  Here at the Honors Program, they are all smart kids.  Jim thinks he is on the low end here.  It is shocking for him, and most of the other students too.  He feels out of his depth reading original texts from early times and then discussing them with understanding.  At least all the others feel the same way.

            Jim is away from home from the first home.  In a previous life, Jim wasted some time doing stupid things.  Playing pool in the dorm basement, because he could.  College pranks.  Drinking, for the first time.  In this life, Jim was focused on his school.  For exercise, he joined the YMCA downtown and joined the same karate class he took in a previous life.   Jim enjoyed being toned and fit, and not worrying about anyone intimidating him physically.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

     Jim greets his mother at the real estate office in Seattle.  He asks her to sign some papers.

      Janice says, “Just sign here, and this one too.  Then we’ll be finished, and the deal will be recorded tomorrow.”

      Jim says, “Mom, I’ll explain later, as much as I can.  Trust me on this.”

       Mom says, “I trust you, Jimmy.  But I want to hear it before I sign anything.”

      Jim asks Janice if he can use the conference room.

       Mom says, “Jimmy, that is the deed to a house near your school!  Paid in full.  I’m frightened and worried for you. What are you involved in?”

       Jim says, “Mom, I really can’t tell you everything.  In some ways, it’s unbelievable.  Dad wouldn’t believe it, and he would talk to others because he didn’t believe it.  Telling anyone is against the rules of the gift giver.”

       Mom says, “I understand what are talking about.  So just tell me what I have to say to the others.  But I need to know that you are not getting yourself into some kind of trouble.”

       Jim says, “I was just being nice to someone, and helped him.  He didn’t have anyone else, so he gave stuff to me when he left.  It was dollars in bundles and other things.   None of it has been in the bank or anything.  So I actually have some good money, and the hard thing is getting it back into the system.”

       Mom says, “If anyone else said all this, I wouldn’t believe them.  But I do believe you.  Couldn’t you just say you found a bag in the hills?”

       Jim says, “One condition of the giver was being quiet about it.  Saying something in public would violate that.  And if you say you found something, how many bad people would claim they had lost it?  And other bad people might kidnap you or me to get it.  And the government rules would require that public notice be given.  I’d be glad to pay any taxes, but I could lose it all if I did that.”

        Mom says, “At least you’ve thought about it.  There is more you’re not saying, isn’t there?  Okay, I see that you are getting money back into the system with this.  What do I tell your dad and the family?” 

        Jim says, “You don’t have to say anything at all about this.  I’m not 18 yet, so I’m considered a minor.  That is why your name has to be on the deed.  One of the papers you signed takes your name off the deed.  It is undated.  So Janice will handle that for me when I ask her to.  So you won’t have any payments or notices at all.  All the paperwork gets sent to my address, and I’ll take care of the taxes.  So no one has to know anything.  If you can’t avoid questions, tell them what I told you.  But it is a secret.  The less you say, the better.  You can tell the family I got a good deal to take care of this house.  That is true, isn’t it?”

       Mom laughs, and says, “Yes, it is.”

       Jim says, “Mom, if you can figure out how to explain it, I’ll give you a down payment so you can buy a house yourself.”

       Mom says, “This is just hard to believe, Jim.  But I’ll do it like you say.”

       Mom signs the papers, and they leave the office.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>        

         Jim stays in the dorm to begin the quarter, and appreciates the convenience.  Since he can, he gets a room by himself.   He sets up his IBM Electric on the second desk.  It is a new model, where you type your page, and it is recorded on a tape, and when you were done, it types a perfect page with the errors corrected.  No more white out or strikeovers! 

         He volunteers for the first group to write papers, and does one comparing the progression in religious thought from the Vedas to the Upanishads, with reference to a similar progression in early Hebrew religion.   In History, he does a paper showing that the ideas in the Analects of Confucius were a progression and development in Chinese thought from the earlier ancestor worship, and focuses on the social control that follows from those ideas. Jim follows this with another paper that compares and contrasts this with the control that the Church had in Europe with the idea of the Great Chain of Being, where every person has a class and every class has a place.   The new ideas of the sciences threaten the rule of the aristocracy.  The Church is part of that.  So it isn’t exactly heresy that is the problem with Galileo, but maintaining the social order.

Jim studies Mandarin Chinese at the UW (University of Washington) across town.   Chinese would count as his language requirement at Seattle U.

            Jim talks to a counselor for the Nursing Program.  He wants to be an RN, and checks on the requirements.  The counselor tells him to apply now, and they will work his schedule around his Honors classes.  He can keep up with the program with summer classes.  He can probably graduate on time, but they can’t promise that.  The counselor said he would sign off on the first classes in Biology and Chemistry, for students with a medical program.   Since the HP was finished in two years, that would fit in with the clinical part of the Nursing Program.  So Jim has his eye on a real job after college, that pays real money and is a professional job too.

Jim thinks about how no one in his family has been to college, and no one gave him good advice on how to get what he wanted out of it.  Jim thinks, ‘In a previous life, I thought the hard part was the Honors Program.  After that I just tried to finish and get out.  I didn’t know that guys could be RNs.  I didn’t know that I should have my eyes on a real job.’

    Now Jim is thinking that the HP can get me to certain point, and then I can keep up the hard work for two more years, and have something. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

     Jim sits in the Accounting Class at City College in San Francisco, near the rear door of the class.  When the class ends, he approaches a young Chinese girl who is gathering her notes and her books.  She is short, with black hair flowing down to her shoulders.  Her face is round, called ‘moonface’.  Her eyes are bright, and her skin is healthy.   She wears a lip gloss on her full lips, not red lip stick that is the fashion for many. Jim remembers those full lips with a smile.  May has a ‘low nose’.  Most Chinese have noses that are not as big as white people.  The nose can be as wide at the upper lip, but the usual Chinese nose tip is only 60% or so as high as the usual European nose.  She is average weight, with a nice shape. She wears a green jade pendant on a thin gold chain around her neck, and a green jade bracelet on her left wrist. May is not flashy, but pretty in a quiet way.  Jim hands her a small red envelope that Chinese families give out at the New Year.  

     He says, “This is for you. I just want to talk to you for ten minutes.”

     She says, “It’s not the New Year.  And you are not my father.”

     He says, “I know.  It’s just a gift.  Please look. “

     She opens the flap of the small red envelope, and a gold coin slides out.  It is the Canadian $100 gold piece.

     She says, “That is gold.  And you just want to talk?  I don’t know you.”

     He says, “In another time, I knew you.  That is why I want to talk to you.  Your grandfather worked for the railroad here.  That is how your family got over here.  Your dad has a pastry shop on Jackson Street.  In Hong Kong, you lived in the New Territorities.  You had a nice dog named Elizabeth.  You were born in China near Taisan.  Your best friend was Ying Ching, and she is a teacher in Taiwan now, at Kaoshung.”

     She says, “Did you know me in Hong Kong?  I don’t remember you.”

     He says, “It’s a crazy story of how I know you, but you will find it interesting, I promise you that.  Just listen for ten minutes, and keep the coin even if you think I am crazy.”

     She says, “You don’t look crazy.  Okay, I will talk to you.”

     He says, “We can sit on the bench outside, or in the Student Union, your choice.  I’ll buy tea if you want.”

     She says, “Tea would be nice.”

     They both sat at a table in the Student Union, he with green tea and she with jasmine.

     She says, “I was a little hard on you.  I don’t talk to many white guys.  Most of those  talks are not a good thing.”

     He says, “I’m sorry.  But I didn’t have an easy way to meet you. “

     She says, “Did you know me before?”

     Jim says, “Yes.  But let me tell you something you don’t know yet.  Remember in New Territories you had a guava tree, and someone took them all just when they were ready? And it happened a few years.

     May says, “Yes.  We didn’t know who took them.  We had Elizabeth, so we wondered how it could happen.  How could you know that?

     Jim says, “You have a friend that has a Chinese restaurant in Berkeley.  Her younger brother was the one.”

     May says, “It could have been him.  The dog knew him.  But how could you know that?”

     Jim says, “I’ll tell you that in a while.  But let me tell my whole story first.”

     May says, “You said interesting and crazy.  Go ahead.”

     Jim says, “I live in Seattle now, though I’m planning on moving here.   I met a guy that seemed out of it.  He asked me for help, saying he had to trust someone and took a chance with me.  He had some diamonds in his pocket.  He needed money to survive, and didn’t know the basics.  I helped him sell a few medium sized diamonds to a dealer I trusted at the Diamond Exchange, and got him set with an apartment.   I knew a guy who needed money and arranged for the guy to let him use his birth certificate. Then I got him an ID card, and even a passport.  He needed a lot of help understanding how we do things. Before long, the guy was doing pretty well, buying and selling things, even for a million dollars.  He gave me some money too. I would say we were friends, in a way.  So he came to me and said he was leaving and wouldn’t be back.  I asked if I could write to him, and he laughed and said it wasn’t possible.  He asked if I had any impossible wishes in my life. “

      “I told him that I had one, but it was really impossible.  He asked me what it was.  I told him that I was married to a good woman, and that I was happy with our time together.  But we were each married before.  She had a very bad marriage, and finally divorced the guy, and he still gave her trouble.  I was married twice and felt betrayed both times.   I told her once, what if we met each other when we were young, and avoided all that, and had a happy life together for our whole life?  So my impossible dream would be to know what I know now, and have a few resources available, and meet this good wife when we were both 18 or so.  He said I helped him and his mission, and thanked me.”

     “And I woke up the next day in the family house with 2 keys and a letter from this guy.  I used one key to open a door at a storage place, and the other key in a metal cabinet I found there, and there were a lot of things in there.  Stacks of $100 bills, gold bars, 100 gold coins, little pouches of diamonds, a couple of rifles, two nice paintings, and other things.  I found out later it was a gun safe, so a couple rifles makes sense. The letter said that he transferred my memories and self back to the younger me, and had transferred the resources from places that would not miss them.  And thanked me for my help.  And he listed your work address and class schedule.”

          “I was 62 years old when that happened, and we were married 25 years.”

She says, “First you were interesting.  But that is crazy.  You know that, don’t you?”

He says, “Yes I do.  I will tell you how bad your first husband was if you want.  And I’ll tell you how your jobs went before.  I’ll give you money to get more education, and cash to buy a big house in both our names. Right now.”

She says, “We were married for 25 years ??”

Jim says, “To be exact, we were together for 2 years, broke up, got back together, then got married, and were married more than 20 years.  I learned Mandarin to talk to you, because they didn’t have Cantonese classes.  This time I will learn Cantonese, but I won’t have time for a few years.  I did learn enough Mandarin that I could use the Chinese-English dictionary and write notes to your mom.  She only speaks Taisonese but she can read the characters.”

She says, “You know some Chinese? Say something.”

Jim says, “Ni hao! Ni piaoliang. Wo jiao Jim.  Ni jiao shemme mingzi?” (Hello! You are beautiful.  I am called Jim. What is your name?)

She says, “Pretty good for a white guy.  I’m not saying that in mean way.  But I know that Chinese is very hard for you.  A lot of Chinese learn another dialect, but we already know the sounds and the how the language works.   (pause)  I’m trying to figure out any other way you could know what you know.  And I can’t.  So tell me how you know about the guava tree?”

Jim says, “We were at your friend’s restaurant in Berkeley, and her brother was visiting from Hong Kong.  Your friend Ying Ching was retired and visiting us, so we were all there at a table.  When Thick-pon told about the guava, Ying Ching was very upset.  He had got her fruit too.  She said, ‘That was you!  You were very, very bad!’ 

She says, “I can check on that.  You know that, don’t you?  So how can you know things about my life that I don’t know? …. And what do you want to do now.”

Jim says, “I can stay a few days, but I have to make arrangements about some of that stuff.  I want to have a contractor build something around the gun safe.  I need to make some arrangements about school.    For us, I’d like to get married as soon as it makes sense to you.  That could be a month, or a year, whatever you want.  You liked Hawaii before.  We could get married there, and have a banquet later.”

She says, “If you have a lot of money like you say, you could find a lot of women that would be glad to marry you. Or let things happen naturally when you find someone you like.”

Jim says, “Yes, I know that.  But I learned a lot of things before, and an important thing was this.  We both had little problems with each other, but you were loyal, and never let me down.   You are someone to count on.   Of course, I was very stupid in my first two marriages.  There were obvious problems there, and I just didn’t see them.  A good marriage that a person can count on is worth a lot.”

May says, “Tell me about my first marriage, and my jobs.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

            While Jim is in the Bay Area, he checks the phone book, and makes an appointment.  A little later, he pulls his rental car into a driveway in Berkeley, parks, and knocks on the door.

            When the door opens, he says, “Hello, I’ve got an appointment with Steve Wozniak.  That’s you ?”

            The Woz nods and opens the door, with a questioning look on his face, and says, “On the phone, you said something about investment money.  What are you investing in?”

            Jim says, “I think you have a great future.  So I’m investing in you and Steve.  I’m not talking about the ‘Blue Box’ that you selling on Telegraph Avenue that let’s you make free long distance calls.  I’m talking about what you are doing in your garage.”

            The Woz says, “Only three of us know about that.  What do you know about our Number One project?

            Jim says, “I want to support it, and get a piece of it.  I have a $100,000 with me, and there will be more, in a couple of months.”

            The Woz says, “That will be a lot for us.  Then we can work on it full time, and even buy parts we need.  What do you get for it?  And can I have a minute to call Jobs from the garage for this ?”

            Jim says, “Wait a few before that.  He’s part of what I want to talk to you about.  The $100 k is real.  Let me just put it on this table.”

 Jim puts the bundles of $100 on the table, and says, “Let me ask for 20% ownership in your company, when you start it.  You and Jobs can sign that. There is not an easy way to say this.  You will start off thinking I’m crazy.  That’s fine.  The money is real, isn’t it?  I know you are going to be a success with the first commercial personal computer.  I had one and fell in love with it.  It had 48 K RAM, expandable to 64 K.  We called you the Woz then.”

The Woz says, “I’ll take your money, and Jobs and I will sign your paper.  But ‘You had one’ ?

Jim says, “I came back in time, so I know things that are going to happen.   One of important things you do is figure out a good power supply for the personal computer.  But later you and Jobs are going to have a big fight about the future of the company.   You want things open, and he wants good software but locked up tight.  He wants things simple for the user and commercial all the way.  You wanted open architecture too.  Mine had eight slots for add-ons.  But you guys were first, and did well with both ideas.   IBM comes in late, but they have big money behind them.  You made a big mistake, which allowed IBM to take the lead.  The key to the future was more RAM.  Your jump from 64 K RAM to 128 K was not done right.  All kinds of problems, delays, then the first one just didn’t work right.  So IBM came in took the lead.  You guys did okay, but IBM became the big guys.”

The Woz says, “That’s a lot.  I don’t have to agree to anything about that, do I?”

Jim says, “Not at all.  You might remember this conversation later.  Use the info how you like, but it is a secret.  I will need your word that you won’t reveal your source.”

The Woz smiles widely and says, “No problem.  I agree to that completely and without reservation.  I’m working on the power supply right now. Can I call Steve in now, so we can sign your paper and then buy an extra-large pizza tonight?”

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

           

Jim answers the phone, “Hello, what a nice surprise!”

May says, “You gave me your number in your last letter.”

Jim says, “I moved into my house near school.  When I’m done with school here, I’ll sell it.”

May says, “I’m happy for you.  Can you come here for a visit?  I need to talk to you.”

Jim says, “The quarter has started, and I’m taking a lot of hard classes.  Why don’t I call United Airlines and pay for a ticket for you to come here?  I can tell them a day and time, and you can change it if you want.  You can stay in a hotel or at my house.  I have three bedrooms.”

May says, “I’ll come tonight, if you can get me a flight leaving about 5PM.”

Jim says, “I’ll call you back.”

…….

Jim greets May as she gets off the 707. 

May says, “I brought some luggage.  I would like to stay in your extra bedroom.”

…….

At the house, they sit at the kitchen table.

May says, “My parents didn’t like my boyfriend, but I didn’t listen to them.  After you told me what happened in that marriage, I checked closer.  I talked to friends about drugs.  He was using some cocaine, but he said it was a recreational thing and he would stop for me. Older friends said many drug users won’t stop no matter what.  I broke up with him.  He gave me a very hard time, and threatened me.  He gave my parents a hard time at their work and at home.  He gave my friends a hard time.  I heard that he had borrowed money from them, and hasn’t paid them back.  It looks just like you said.  So I am glad to leave for a while.  I told my friends to say I went back to Hong Kong.”

Jim says, “I’m sorry.  But I’m also glad that you haven’t wasted years with a bad guy.”

May says, “I have one question for you.  I had children before, didn’t I?  What happens if I marry someone else now?

Jim says, “I woke up with one letter from the friend, and it disappeared a few hours after I read it.  It said that everyone went on in that time, including you and me.  I guess that means our children went on in that time.  But the people we are now won’t see those children.  We will see the children each of us has now.  I hope we can have our own children together.  Three sounds good to me.  And we should each finish our school before we start having them.”

May says, “From the first time I saw you and heard your crazy story, you have treated me with respect and never tried to force me to do anything.  I believe you now.  From the beginning, I couldn’t think of any other way that you could know those things.  And you act like we belong together, but don’t force it on me. “

Jim says, “We had twenty five good years together.  This time I want fifty years and more with you, and a good family together.”

May says, “I never thought about a white guy for a husband.  Now I am.  But I don’t want to get married right now.  I hear that many white couples live together before they decide to get married.  If it doesn’t work out, they can leave without a divorce.  I’ll do that with you to make sure that things work out for us.  If I decide to leave, I want your promise that you won’t give me a hard time.”

Jim says, “That’s great.  I will promise not to bother you.  I want to be with someone who wants to be with me.”

May says, “I want to start slow, like a man and woman just starting to go out, not everything all at once.  You might know me from before, but I don’t  know you.  Why didn’t he send us both back?”

Jim says, “I’ve thought about that.  He had my permission, but not yours.  And maybe he only had so much energy.  I didn’t really know until I woke up that morning. Starting slow sounds just right.  So you are my girl friend now?”

May says, “Yes, new boyfriend, previous and future husband.  You told me about some money and gold coins.  Can I see it?”

Jim says, “I moved a lot to a big safety deposit box at the bank. And I built a secure space for the gun safe.  It looks like part of long closet.”

Jim moves a sliding door and unlocks a hardwood door behind it.  He has two keys around his neck.  He uses the second key to open the gun safe.  There are five rifles standing upright, and on one side are bundles of $20 and $100 bills.  There is a medium sized painting leaning on the back wall.  He picks up a small leather pouch and hands it to May.

Jim says, “Pick out the diamond you want for a ring.  It can be our engagement ring.  I have a guy who will mount it and make a set.”

May says, “These are beautiful!  I like the color of this one.”

Jim says, “That is a nice one. The most common diamond is yellowish, but yellow is your favorite color, right.  Here, hold onto this small gold bar, too.  We can go see the jeweler in a few days.”

May says, “Keep it in there until it’s time.  Jim, I believed you before.  But to see this!  Hen hao!!” (Very good!!)

They went  back to the living room, and sat on the sofa. 

May says, “I’ll stay here for a while.  Tomorrow I will look for a job in accounting.  Can I use your car and drop you off at school and pick up you up when you are done?  I’m not sure I want to go back for more school now.  If you have typing to do, I can do it until I’m working.  I won’t do everything, but I will cook dinner for us.  Leave me some money to buy food.”

Jim says, “You always liked to go for walks.  For our first date, let’s go take a walk around my campus.  It’s nice there even at night. You drive and you’ll know the way tomorrow.  And I’ll show you the market and how to get to our little Chinatown.”

May says, “You have been so nice, you might even get your first kiss.”

Jim says, “I got that a long time ago.  But the next one will be very nice!” 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

            Jim sits at his dining room table with Bob and Dianne from the HP.  Bob is a little tall, his black hair has a medium curl to it, and he looked fit.   Bob and Jim had done a day hike on Mount Si two weeks ago.  It was 3 hours up and less down, with a rest and view lunch at the top.  Jim used his new hiking boots for the first time, and they broke in just fine.  Dianne is short, and wears her hair short and tapered from full at the top to thin at the bottom.  Her blue glasses with little wings are her one attempt at style.  She has full lips and a wide mouth.  To Dianne, humor is just not right if it isn’t punny. 

 May serves some dishes she cooked.  There is a platter with bright red shrimp and bright green snow peas still steaming.   There is another platter of thin cut pieces of beef and green bite sized broccoli. There is a seaweed soup, with long black strings of the seaweed and a white bean in the soup.  Jim explains that Chinese families take portions off the platters, using the back ends of the chopsticks.   People only take what they want. 

            May joins them at the table, and shows how to hold the chopsticks.  

            She says, “If you want to try, you take one like a pencil, and the lower one between the third and fourth finger.   The lower one doesn’t move, and the top one grips the piece of food.   That looks good, Bob.  Keep trying, Dianne.  It takes practice.”

            “Most Chinese don’t consider a meal is complete without white rice.  Jim likes brown rice for health reasons, and now I like it too.   It fills you a little more than white rice.”

            “After you finish your soup, put some rice in the small bowl.  Then add from the platters into it.  It is easier to use the chopsticks from a bowl than a plate.  And the juices from the food get into the rice.  You can even bring the bowl close to your mouth if you want to eat fast.”

            Dianne says, “I thought I was going to have pork fried rice, sweet and sour spareribs, and maybe some chow mein.  This is not what I expected.  And it tastes so much better than those.”

            Jim and May laugh, and Jim says, “May is polite, so she won’t say it.  Chinese call those ‘American food’.”

            Bob says, “I thought those were Chinese food.  I don’t understand.”

            May says, “That is Chinese food that is changed so Americans like it.  Chow mein is only made in America, not in China.  Like fortune cookies.”

            Dianne says, “I didn’t know any of that.  But I certainly like these dishes.”

          

After dinner, they sit in the living room, sipping tea.

            Jim says, “I’m glad you could join us for dinner.”

            Bob says, “I thought I knew what Chinese food was.  I just found out how much I don’t know.  Your dishes were excellent, May!”

            Dianne says, “Yes, excellent is the word.  May, what do we call you? In high school, they used the word ‘Oriental’.  Is that okay?”

            May says, “Thank you, thank you.   I like to cook.  I call myself Chinese.  Most people from Asia think of what country they come from.”

            Dianne says, “How did you two meet, anyway?  We don’t come into contact with many Chinese or other Asian people?”

            Jim says, “I was visiting colleges in the San Francisco area.  I was lost and she gave me good directions, so I bought her a cup of tea.  We were pen pals for a while.”

            May says, “Jim tells some unbelievable stories.  I was fascinated, and learned more about him when we wrote back and forth.  I came for a visit, and stayed.”

            Bob says, “You two just seem right with each other.  Like you’ve been together a long time.”

            Jim laughs softly and May smiles while looking at Jim, and Jim says, “Six weeks now.  It does seem like a long time.  May and I are different cultures, but with some effort on both sides, you can both be happy.  And your vision is expanded to include another culture.”

            Bob says, “Talking about another culture.  I read that draft of the paper for Honors English about Li Something.   I want to try something here.  Jim, can you get me a copy of that poem?  Then I’ll read it.  Then I want Dianne’s comment, then yours, then May’s.

            Jim goes in the third bedroom and comes back with a typed page, and hands it to Bob.  Bob reads:

                                    Before the bed, bright moonlight.

                                    I took it for frost on the ground.

                                    I raised my head to dream upon that moon,

                                    Then bowed my head, lost, in thoughts of home.

           by Li Bai

            Dianne says, “Pretty good !  In four lines, you are there in the location completely.  You also feel the complex emotion completely.  He misses another time, another place, obviously home.  The poet even uses body language as part of it, with ‘raised head’ and ‘bowed head’.  So, a good modern poem.

            Jim says, “Dianne got all of it.  It’s one of his simpler ones, written about 750 AD in the Tang Dynasty in China.”

            May says, “I typed that paper for Jim, and remembered that poem. Every school kid getting a traditional Chinese education learns this poem, and others too.”

            Bob nods, and Dianne says, “That is amazing!  I had no idea.”

            Bob says, “Modern English literature is my specialty, and I had no idea.”

            Jim says, “In my Mandarin Chinese class, I came across this poem.  I checked and found out that Ezra Pound is considered the first one to write modern poetry.  He also translated a lot of Chinese literature.  He says Li Bai was the greatest poet of all time.”

           Bob says, “I’m looking forward to hearing this in the Paper group for the English class.”

            A little later, Bob rinses the dishes and puts them in the dishwasher.  May talks to him some while she puts her cooking things away.

          In the living room, Dianne says to Jim, “She’s perfect for you, Jim.  I really am happy for you.”

            Jim says, “Thank you.  She is.”

            Dianne says, “One reason I came with Bob tonight, I hoped to have a chance to apologize.”

            Jim says, “It’s okay.  We were both new at school.  Right?  Not much happened anyway.”

            Dianne says, “I can be a friend.  Both of your friends.  Anyway, I could have just told you privately so you knew, instead I made a big deal out of it.  I wasn’t ready for anything.  My loss.  Thanks for understanding.”

            Jim says, “Friends is good.”  

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

A pretty woman with blond curly hair approaches Jim after the Biology class.  Jim nods to her, and is a little surprised when she really is approaching him.

Ann says, “It was a surprise to see you in my Biology class.  And a real surprise when you didn’t talk to me, except a nod for hello now and then.  I heard that you are getting married.”

Jim says, “Yes, I found the perfect woman for me.”

Ann says, “Is that the Oriental woman I saw you with once?”

Jim says, “May is Chinese.”

Ann says, “She looks very nice, Jim.  Congratulations, and I hope you are both very happy.  How did you meet her? We don’t have many Orientals here or where we grew up.”

Jim says, “I was checking the schools in San Francisco, and she helped me with directions, then things went from there, pen pals and that.”

Ann says, “I’ve heard it’s hard on mixed children.”

Jim says, “My mom says that.  And May’s parents are worse with her.  But the reality is that children with parents of two races can have the best of both worlds, and can choose either one, or move between both cultures very well.  There are problems, of course.  In any case, they will be our children, and they will do fine.”

Ann says, “Congratulations and Good Luck!”  and leaves.

       Jim remembers that this was the girl he thought was the ideal woman, all through high school.  And she is saying the same racist stuff my parents believe.  With family and friends, I’ll start with a discussion of how it really is.  After that, I’ll have to make an issue out of it.   If Ann knew I had some money, and thought I would join the elite with her, she might be interested.   I don’t want to be around that kind of person.  At all.  She acted interested at first, and then never had time for me.  When I called, she couldn’t talk on the phone because her dad was an MD and might get an important call.  And she was never available for anything I asked her to.  So, polite, and not interested.  It took a while to figure out.  And it hurt.  First I thought it was Dad’s alcoholism.  Then I figured out Ann was in an elite family, and that they wanted the same for her.  The chances looked slim that I would fit into that.  Through all of history, there is an economic part to most marriages.  But I didn’t know any of that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim says, over the phone, “John, I’m glad I got you.  I’ll be there in 5 minutes.”

John says, “I’m just in and out.  I thought you were Lenore, or I wouldn’t have answered.  Call me tomorrow! She’s waiting at the airport for me to pick her up.”

Jim says, “No, it can’t wait.  Have I ever misled you, or exaggerated anything with you?”

          “No.”

            “John, I need ten minutes.  And it really is a matter of life and death”.

            “Okay.  Can I you meet you downstairs, and save two minutes?”

           “Yes, pick a private spot.  Four minutes.”

      

             Jim sees John sitting on one of the lobby sofas. He’s taller than Jim, has brown hair worn short.  Not a crew cut, but short.  He’s wide at the shoulders, and has big hands.  His pointed chin is distinctive. He had a used VW in high school, and he picked up Jim for a lot of things.  Sometimes just to hang out.  Jim considered him a good friend.

           John didn’t look happy, and says, “ ‘Life and death’, and you don’t exaggerate!  This better be good!”

           Jim says, “I waited until your finals were over, and we had an appointment.”

           John says, “I left you a note on my door.  I didn’t know when Lenore was coming. I knew you would understand.  We have five days of Christmas vacation before I go home.”

           Jim says, “Normally that would be fine.  This is different.  What I’m going to tell you is a secret, and very serious.  First you have to promise me you’ll never tell a single person what I’m going to tell you.  Not even Lenore, not even if you get married.  No one. “

          John says, “Jim, I’m going to be late.  I don’t need this.  If you weren’t a friend, I would not be here now.  Can you get to it?”

          Jim says, “John, I am your friend.  I need your promise.  No one.  Not ever.”

          John says, “Alright already.  Just say it.”

          Jim says, “It is a gift.  Sometimes I know the future before it happens.  I don’t know everything, but whenever I know something, it has been true, every time and every detail.  It is like a vision, but more.  It is knowledge, dead certain.”

          John says, “Okay, now I know why you don’t want me to tell anyone.  Can I go now?”

          Jim says, “One more minute.  The knowledge I have is this.  Sometime during this Christmas vacation, I will get a phone call from your mom.  You’re not home yet, and they expected you the day before.  She asks me to check your room.   I drive over, knock, no answer.  I find someone in charge of the dorm, and ask him to open the door, maybe you left a note.  John, you are in bed, your body is blue, you have a plastic bag over your head, and both feet on the floor, and your legs are stiff and straight.  They told me later you took a can of glue from the wood shop where you worked.  It was so strong, it burned your lungs out with one breath.  I went to your funeral a few days later.  John, I didn’t even know you worked on campus, or in a wood shop.”

           John says, “I have work study.  I do have access to the wood shop.  And I was thinking of that can of glue.  I heard that you can get high on it.”

            Jim says, “John, here’s $20.  Your life is worth a lot more than that. Get a bottle of the good stuff, get some marijuana, but promise me you won’t try the glue.”

           John says, “You are so sure. It’s hard to believe.”

           Jim says, “You can think I’m deluded.  You can write me off as a weirdo.  Your life is more important.  Just stay away from the glue.  And remember your promise.  No one. I just hope if your behavior is changed, the outcome is changed. That’s all.  Pick up Lenore.  Call me if you want to get together.  I’ll buy you lunch.”

           John stands slowly, his face a little white, and says, “Uh, thanks, Jim.  I’ll call.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

            Jim and May are in the Museo Orsay in Paris, in the week after Christmas.  Jim is taking a long time to really look at the Potato Eaters, and a few other Van Goghs.

           May says, “Have you seen enough?  I thought we were going to a restaurant.”

          Jim says, “This is why we came, and why will stop in New York on the way back.  You enjoyed Paris and London before.  This is business, with a nice trip for us included.”

          May says, “You told me. You said we saw the Eifel Tower at night with lights over the whole thing.  But there aren’t any lights now.”

          Jim says, “You really liked the Tower when we came before.  After you got lost, you always wanted to know where the Tower was, because our hotel was close to it.  And we got separated right here at this museum.  So don’t go anywhere.”

          May says, “You are telling me it was my fault for getting lost in another life?”

          Jim says, “It was my fault too.  I tried to do too much in one day, to save money with a one day ticket to see five different places.  And you got tired and sat down.  When I got back, you were gone.”

          May says, “I’m glad you admit it was your fault.”

          Jim says, “Yes, dear.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Jim says, “Mr. Goldman, you handled the sale of that painting very well. Thank you.”

Mr. Goldman, with the Seattle Art Institute, wears a checked sport coat over a white turtleneck.  He is average height, a little more than average weight, and his black hair has flecks of gray throughout.  He looks ‘distinguished’.  Mr. Goldman says, “You paid my 10%, so I’m happy.”

Jim says, “The loan you made lets me show income for last year.  That loan is now repaid out of the proceeds.  My tax accountant is happy too.”

Mr. Goldman: “I got paid for that too, with no risk.”

Jim says, “I got two paintings in that estate sale.  Here is the receipt.  There was a U.S. Army officer who was in Europe during and after WWII.”

Mr. Goldman says, “Two paintings ?  Europe ? My alarm bells are tingling. “

Jim says, “I’ll give you a choice.  You can have your usual10% and I will pay extraordinary expenses, or you can have 20% if you handle all the things that happen.   This could be the biggest auction that Sotheby’s has ever had.”

Mr. Goldman says, “You are going to tell me you have Van Gogh’s Dreamtime that disappeared and was presumed lost in the bombing of Germany in 1944.  Every year or two someone tries that one.”

Jim says, “That is why I’m offering 20% to a reputable dealer.  First you will have to authenticate it.  Then you will have to do enough so that potential buyers believe it.   You can announce it, and have showings if you want.  I want to remain anonymous.  It will be much harder with this painting.  That is why I will leave this receipt with you.”

Mr. Goldman: “I’ll examine it.  I’ll bill you for it if I can’t authenticate it. I’ll take a deposit for that.  That will cap my career if it’s true.  You seem confident about it.  How can you be so sure?”

Jim says, “I’m an amateur.  But it has enough to it that it seems possible.  It looks the right age.  It looks like it is supposed to.  I’ve taken a look at some of his other paintings in the Museo Orsay in Paris, the Met in New York, and even San Francisco has a few.  When I looked closely at the paint strokes, they look similar to the painting I have.   You can date it various ways, I believe.  I’ll take the chance that you can authenticate it.”

Mr. Goldman, “The owner and his family disappeared in Occupied Europe.  Other things owned by him have never been claimed.  Someone or some government will probably file suit to claim it.  It won’t be a valid claim, but it could tie things up for years.”

Jim says, “That is why I’m giving you the choice.  If you think it is the real thing, you will earn your 20%.”

Mr. Goldman:”Make that 25%, and we can work out a contract.  Let me make sure of it before we sign it.  There are a number of pretty good forgeries floating around.”

Jim says, “I’ll bring you the painting, but it will be in a gun safe.  I will have the only key, and it is unique.  When you want to see it, or do any work on it, I will be there.  And you will have to insure it while it is here.  If others are around, you can tell them I’m a student intern or something.”

Mr. Goldman:”Good enough.”

 

   

 



© 2013 CaptainBill


Author's Note

CaptainBill
I'm sending this to agents now! Hoping for publication. If not, I'll self publish shortly. So help me out, please! Help me with any weakness, or unclear spots. Much better now than later. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 29, 2013
Tags: time travel, love story with white guy and Ch


Author

CaptainBill
CaptainBill

San Francisco, CA



About
Like Science Fiction, especially military SF. I love wilderness backpacking, like High Sierras, Grand Canyon, Marble Mountain in Ca. more..

Writing