The word-man.

The word-man.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

A old poem. A light edit.

"

The word-man.

(Need men of woman to write the truth. Thank you for Hemingway, Kosinski, Twain and Nevil Shute. They wrote about the truth. The word-man must leave the truth behind. Maybe someone will pay attention and learn a better way. If we had no Alice walker or Helen Hunt Jackson. History would false truth create by opinion of the men in-charge. Hiding weaknesses and mistakes.)

The word-man..

I brought coffee to the old Poet at the boardwalk park bench in Monterey in the early morning. Every Saturday and Sunday I could find him staring at the sea and writing. I brought my chess board. I hoped for a game of chess and conversation.

He greeted me with a smile. I shook his hand and offered him the coffee. He took the coffee and asked. What the payment. A game of chess or words?

I requested both. He smiled and looked at the sea. Told me. You will learn to accept your life for what it is. We are, just pebbles in a pond that rarely moved. No-one can do much to change life.  We are, just fools waiting for death and peace.

I looked at his sad eyes. Today they were filled with sadness. I asked him. You are the Monterey word-man. You share and help us young writers. Do you really believe all life is useless and life had no purpose.?

He smile strongly. His hazel eyes watching the waves dance. He told me. I came here to die and to write my last poetry. You brought me into the poetry readings and the kindness of the pretty Poet’s. You gave an old Poet a reason to laugh and learn. Young minds and new dreams give hope to the old dreamers. I will be okay my friend. Just becoming afraid death is near. Cancer is almost done with me.

I know he was sick. He left his family to keep them free of watching him dying. I knew death and I told him. Let’s me be a friend till the end.

I asked him. Was the life worthwhile. Do you hold regret?

He stood up and he started to dance on the sand and then he ran into the Monterey bay cold water. I watched him while I  walked along the shoreline. The old Poet taught me. Life is long and to laugh. Even at death.

He came back to me and he gave me a journal. He told me. This is for you. Remember the old word-man. Keep the poetry and story alive. Death will come. All we leave is the love we shared and kindness given. We need a million word-men to keep the truth alive and tell the world about the sweet and good possibilities of a life.”

I came back the next week. He was gone and I open the journal. I read his first poem.

Blind man…

Bear the fruit of love said a blind man to his son. His father looked at his father. Spoke in pain.

Pa, you live without seeing. You live in a world of darkness?

The old man looked at his son. Told him. I lived without my eyes for 50 years. I have known great joy and happiness.

With a smile he whispered. I lived a thousand days without seeing the world I know is so beautiful to see. I never saw the sun fall into the ocean. The moon rise up to light the darkness of the night. But my son. I’m blind.

I see a world for you to be happy in. A world with no limits, no boundaries without knowing the beauty of sight. I learn life is good and days are long. In my mind I can see all the beauty surrounding me. With each word spoken, I have learned life can be good for even a blind man such as I.

So my son. Forget your sadness of my lost sight. Because I’m happy. Just to be a man. Knowing you my son.

                                     Word-man 1992 ‘

He left me a note. Never give up. My Word-man friend go forward with hope and no fear. Only blind men are the men and woman who cannot open the door to laughter and friendship. You are the Monterey Word-man now.

         Coyote

© 2022 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Indeed, we must laugh at our foibles. We must realize life is short so embracing every moment is all important. That word man was so fortunate to have a friend like you. Not sure why he left his family though. Surely they would have wanted to be with him till the end. A write of compassion and philosophical advice. John, this is great. Lydi**

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Hello dear Lydia and you are right. Thank you for reading and the comment.



Reviews

Often I feel that those who cannot see, see things much better than those who can. It is a matter of perspective.
Really well done, captivating and a wonderful message for all.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree my friend. Many with disabilities have changed our world. Thank you for reading and the comm.. read more
The word man may have been blind, but his life was worthwhile. He accepted his situation and got on with it. Pebbles in a pond, yes that is what we are. When we are gone we are remembered by those who loved us and those we touched somehow on our journey. We enter this world with nothing and if we are lucky we can leave a little love behind. A touching write Coyote.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you dear Chris. In Monterey, I met many kind people. The sea brought the writers, poets and pa.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Sounds like a wonderful. Place. I am going to Google it to find out more Coyote.
Wow, what an emotional read here, nicely written and powerful

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
Indeed, we must laugh at our foibles. We must realize life is short so embracing every moment is all important. That word man was so fortunate to have a friend like you. Not sure why he left his family though. Surely they would have wanted to be with him till the end. A write of compassion and philosophical advice. John, this is great. Lydi**

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Hello dear Lydia and you are right. Thank you for reading and the comment.


I have read a couple of masterpieces today Johnnie C and in the most brief and simple way I can possibly do justice to this, your very own 'The Word Man' I can only say, that this, is one of them my friend .. Neville

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you Neville. I appreciate the comment. I am retired now. Rewriting my long stories. I have a l.. read more
Neville

1 Year Ago


You don't need it , but good luck my friend :)
A remarkable write, Coyote! This piece reminds me of my late uncle Ronnie, in some ways. A childhood accident left him totally blind, but he was a very independent soul. He played chess, using a braille chess set, and he had a phenomenal memory. He worked as a basket weaver in the city of Bradford, 8 miles from his home. He travelled by bus every working day, and he knew every turn of every road, never needing to be told when he had reached his destination. A remarkable man. Your poem was a pleasure to read!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You Uncle Ronnie was a amazing man. Thank you Robert for reading and sharing the story. I do appreci.. read more
All we leave is the love we shared and kindness given. Great line, Coyote.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you Winston. The Army send to Germany for almost four years and almost three year on the Monte.. read more
Having just lost a friend to cancer, this one was particularly meaningful to me. How many of us can look back on our lives without some regrets? What I get from the word man, though, is that the negatives don't define us if we have learned how to love. A very moving piece, C.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You re right John.
"negatives don't define us if we have learned how to love"
The abov.. read more
was the life worthwhile? what a perfect question to ask. regrets are (as I view them) the momentary passing of time on our way to a greater understanding of what we are. this poem of yours reminds me of that so elegantly Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree Ken.
"regrets are (as I view them) the momentary passing of time on our way to a gre.. read more
A wonderful encounter/encounter with this wise, yet mysterious figure called(Word-Man). I really appreciated your generosity and your listening, heeding his advices.
You are passing on great things Coyote. God bless your efforts...

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

We will meet kind and great people Sami. Our mentors, our teachers and grandparents. The teacher of .. read more
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

So true. You are welcome sir Coyote.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 9, 2022
Last Updated on October 9, 2022

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lydia Lydia

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson