Evoking the Cologne

Evoking the Cologne

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Dad's dressing gown
remained exactly where
he last placed it,
on a shiny brass hook
on his bedroom door,
where it stayed
in its navy blue state,
hanging lifeless long after
his fate had been sealed.

Long after his unexpected
demise and my eyes
had lost focus on life,
I would wear it.
Wrap myself in its embrace
close my lids then breathe in
the essence of him.

That familiar cologne
bringing him back
for a few precious moments
before the sense of loss
would kick in with vigour
and tear me apart
like a ripped seam.


© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this tore me apart...and made my eyes water...reminding me of my dad and how much i miss him...
and speaking of the cologne...i remember how particular he was about hygiene, the shave, the old spice, the showers...and then how in his last couple years he hated showers...didn't even realize he no longer cared about that....
so well written here.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Margie.
jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

and I thank you, too, Margie...
Chris' poem evoked so many feelings and memories for me...read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

i like your response also jacob...Old Spice all the way ... and always clean shaven ... except maybe.. read more



Reviews

Beautifully and truly heartfelt. Can understand that need.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Emma, and this time you stayed long enough for me to thank you personally.
emmajoygreen

1 Month Ago

You're very welcome, have tried to say in touch but seems I too am trolled/tracked at times, but no .. read more
beyond touching. lump in my throat as i read. have lost both mom and dad in the last few years and i know this all too well. i have dad's wedding ring on a key chain that was mom's - i feel as though they're still close in my pocket. certain things trigger memories. they're a part of us which cannot be denied.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Many thanks Pete for that lovely share about the key chain and your Dad’s wedding ring. That must .. read more
Incredibly emotional and quite beautifully written poem Chris. Something very similar happened when my beloved Nan passed away 22 years ago now. Both my sister and I selected one or two items of her favourite clothing, ( I don't think we really understood why at the time, other than it we needed to have something closely personal of hers.) In particular we both chose one of her wonderfully chunky home knitted cardigans each; mine grey, my sister's beige. We have them still and they are so cherished and my sister in particular will often wear hers around the house; whilst I tend to keep mine in a wardrobe, which for me helps preserve her memory; and that is was because of her influence that I so love to read and write poetry. Apologies for such a long winded reply, but your evoked so many wonderful memories for me.

Beccy X

PS. Hope you don't mind, but I copied and sent your poem to my sister up in Norwich.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Hello Beccy, I am thrilled that you want to share this poem with your sister and thank you for your .. read more
This made me feel, simply feel. Dads are very special, and the love you have for yours flows through these words. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Melinda for your review. Pleased the poem made you “feel”. A long time ago now, but th.. read more
I'm all to familiar with the feeling as you know. I recall sleeping on my father's pillow after he died.

Great writing, Chris.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you my friend. I understand completely what you have shared in your response. This is an older.. read more
Memories haunts. Great poem.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Arundass for stopping by with your thoughts. So very much appreciated. Have a nice day. read more
Sad. We all use "relics" in different ways to evoke past images, memories, emotions, and relive. Some are personal, some cultural, some religious they all serve this purpose. This poem presents such a personal picture and I can still in memory smell my father. Some things are just burned in too deep to ever leave. The scars of a loving past.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Soren for your thoughtful reading. My Dad still missed greatly after many years. I appreci.. read more
It is amazing how powerful scent is. It can bring back memories and even those we love from the beyond if only for a few moments before the world crashing in again.

I once read that if you always wear the same perfume that a lover, friend or anyone close to us, will think of you every time they smell that perfume/ cologne or something smells similar. I believe that is true for I’ve had it happen to me before.

This is a heartfelt poem that tell of the loss and the gravity in which it is felt. I love how you describe the scene and how being wrapped in the smell of his cologne makes you think for a moment your dad is with you.

Sometimes putting on someone clothing that smells like them offers great comfort and peace until reality hits again!!

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you PB for your thoughtful review. Yes, scents can certainly stimulate memories. It has happen.. read more
A very poignant write which brought a tear to my eyes as I read, Chris. It is truly amazing how an article of clothing belonging to a loved one still holds their cherished scent and a million different memories long after they have gone. You have imparted so finely how the memories come flooding back on holding your Dad's dressing gown, the sense of loss which you felt and at the same time being able to breathe in Dad's essence through holding his dressing gown in a warm embrace, Chris. My husband has had his Dad's cardigan these past 46 years and wears it every evening, though it is now threadbare in parts, but he has never allowed me to wash it and our youngest daughter wants it after he has no further use for it. A beautifully penned and expressed poem, Chris. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you a very nice evening, relaxed and pleasant...

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you kindly Marie. I am touched by your share here. Have a beautiful weekend.

C.. read more
Marie

1 Month Ago

Most welcome, Chris. Thank you for your kind wishes and I also wish you a very pleasant, relaxed an.. read more
A nice sensory piece palpable with loss and reflection.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Months Ago

Thank you Fabian. I appreciate you stopping by.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1355 Views
64 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2019
Last Updated on April 19, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic