A safe harbor..

A safe harbor..

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Being in the warmth of love embrace. We are the luckiest person alive.

"
A safe harbor...
I saw her sitting alone on a park bench. She had a suitcase near her and she watched the sea. She was a pretty girl with sad eyes. I went to her and I asked her. Are escaping or did you find your place to be? She turned to me. She did a look over and she asked me. You have two books and a journal. Are you seeking something?
I laughed at her and I told her. I found Monterey and Big Sur. I befriended the loco surfers and I read poetry. Three times a week in the city. Yes I did find my place and my name is Johnnie. She laughed at my words. She asked me. Was it difficult to stop running in circles and to seek new city and new people? I told her. Once I had everything in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I gave everything away and I have everything I need here. The sea near, the Irish Pub near that make the best Irish coffee. She laughed at my words and she told me my name is Tara. I am Tara from Akron, Ohio. I had a bad marriage, I had a bad divorce and I had enough. I took the bus here. I had enough money to begin a new life. I hoped.
I reached our and I took her hands. I told her. Welcome to Monterey. Are you looking for work? She looked at me hard, her hazel eyes asking questions. I want to rest for awhile. I was a school teacher and I know I can find work. I told her. Yes Tara, always work for a school teacher and can I buy you a Irish coffee on the pier. She smiled and she told me. I am bad company. I told her. I am a soldier. Always surrounded by bad company. She laughed and she said okay.
We sat in the Irish pub. She watched the January storm and she asked. I thought California was always sunny and warm. I told her. The Pacific like to raise hell for two months. Me and my friends, we suicide board the big storms. She looked sad and she told me. I should of brought more warm clothing. I smiled and I told her. I have a boatload of sweaters and light jackets. I live near. You can wait here and I can bring to you. She took my hands and she told me. Johnnie, I know you are good. You don't ask personal questions and you listen to my words. I need this, I miss this. She took my two books. Hemingway and Jack London. She told me. I love books. I told her. in 30 minutes, I am leading a poetry reading at the Monterey Coffee and book shop. Please come with me.
She told me. I do love book stores. I carry her suitcase and she took my right hand. We walked in silence to the book store. Jerry was waiting for me. He yelled at me. Johnnie, we have ten minutes to set-up. I introduced Tara and he said hello. She asked, can I help? Jerry said yes and thank you. He told her. Coffee on the house pretty lady.
They set-up the chairs and tables. Tara set-up the mike and the stand. Jerry told Tara. I need someone like you to help me. You are so organized and skills. Jerry notice her suitcase and he quit talking. She sat with me and she told me. I love Monterey already. Everyone is kind. I told her Jerry is the best. Him and his wife had adopted me. Many people arrived and the young and old poets sign a sheet. was first come, first to read.
I went to the mike and I told the people. Thank you for coming and we have many poets and writers. Seven minutes each. 
I will a short poem and dear Pam will read first.
" Underused, overused. We cannot win.
We seem to fight a never-ending battle to find comfort.
Dear Tara, sometimes we must lose to win.
The strong make this day, the best day, we must."
The people clapped and I introduced Pam. We listen to the twenty poets and writers. Each one came to my table and thanks
me and Jerry. Tara looked very tire. I asked her. Do you have a place to go? She turned away and she whispered. Not yet. I was going to find a cheap motel. I learn, no cheap motel in Monterey. I told her. I have a studio apartment near. Was a garage and I pay 600 dollars a month for 400 square feet. But I do love. I can park my truck and I can hear the music from my open window. She turned and she looked at me. I have become a burden and you don't have to be kind to me. Jerry wife Betty heard the conversation and she came to Tara. Wrapped her arms around her. she told her. Here in Monterey. We are kind to each other. You can become born anew. Me and Jerry need someone on the bookstore, if you needed work?
She looked at Betty. She told her. I love books and I need something to keep busy. I would appreciate. Betty smiled and she said. Good. Get organized and come back in two days at noon. Tara took my hands. She whispered. This is a good day Johnnie. I needed a good day after 10 bad years. Can I see your studio apartment? I told okay.
They walked the one block to the back of a old house. The garage was decorated beautiful. Fresh flowers growing in the front and he opened the door. She entered the studio apartment and she told him. This is cool. You have everything needed and no wasted space. She went to the bookshelf. 400 books of the ancient and new writers. She took out many books. Slowly caressing them. My ex-husband burned my books. Some of the books were my grandfather's books. I went to her and I asked. Are you hungry. I keep lunchmeat, bread and soup in the house always. You can put your stuff in the corner. I have two extra beds for my soldier friend, when they shouldn't drive. You decide which one you like? My house is your house. I lived in Akron for one year. I escape back to Michigan. I believe you will find happiness in Monterey.
She took off her shoes and and she fell on the bed. She asked me. Tomorrow is Saturday. Will you take me somewhere tomorrow? I need to see something beautiful and wonderful. I sat by her and I caressed her forehead. Like a child. She was educated, she was tire and she was brave. She escaped. He escaped to Monterey also two years ago. He took off her socks and he went to the closet. He tossed her some Army P.T sweats and shirt. He told Her. Take a hot shower and I will make you a sandwich and some soup. Do you want tea or coke? 
She said some tea and she went to the bathroom. I put the soup and sandwich on a table near her bed. I lay down on my bed. was a long day for me. I awoke the soldiers at 5 am every morning. I fell asleep. I rose up from my sleep, watching her slowly eat. I told her good night dear Tara.
I felt her eyes upon me. I awoke and I asked her. Are you okay? She finally released a true smile and she told me. I was told there were good men in this world. My grandfather, who raised me. Was a good man. She asked with begging eyes. Could you hold me like I was someone? Could you kiss my face and tell me. I am beautiful? Will you talk to me? I told her. Come on over and we must find some sleep. Tomorrow, we go to Big Sur. Drink the new wines and we will find some laughter. She came to me and I wrapped my arms around her. I kissed her forehead, I kissed her cheeks. I whispered. It will be okay Tara. You have found a safe harbor. No-one will harm you now.
Dancing Coyote

© 2023 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love the imagery in this write, This is really good

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Months Ago

Thank you dear June Bug. We need place where you can find happiness and feel safe.
Wow, nicely detailed and the imagery is nice.
sometimes we just do what we have to do.
Interesting read, enjoyed

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Months Ago

Thank you dear friend for reading and the comment. We need a safe place to rest. Once, Monterey save.. read more
we leave what we know and love for greener pastures and then find the grass is ugly brown and withered...and then we long for what we threw away...
and this safe harbor...may I dock my boat there? I could use some calm waters.
j.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Months Ago

Me too today Jacob. Thank you for reading and the comment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2023
Last Updated on December 28, 2023

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


High Tide High Tide

A Poem by schlanks


Apnea Apnea

A Poem by schlanks