Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Soldier goes off to War. Need kind and sweet memories to keep them human.

"


                     The Lover (A soldier prayer)
 
Poor boys and men.
Roads lead to War.

 
Young woman with a  sweet smile.
Silk dress.
Smelling like sweet flowers.

 
Whisper,  "let's dance tonight.
You shall go to War."

 
"Tonight we need to create photos for the heart."

 
"Memories to keep you warm when you are lonely and afraid."

 
Young man brings the sweet Angel close.
Whisper kind words of love and thankfulness.

 
Soldier stand alone.
Cleans his M-16.
Death is all around him.

 
He closes his eyes.
He remembered.
The smell of flowers.
The feel of the silk dress.

 
The sweet smile of his love.

 
Keeps him human.

 
                  John Castellenas
                  4 April 2009
 
 
 

© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I stood alone on guard duty on the border of Iraq. Didn't think of War. I thought of beautiful faces and family.
Coyote

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Do a little soldier poetry myself ...fought the demons and the devil, walked the trail and waded the rivers, ...you stuff is good, Soldier stand alone. Cleans his M-16. Death is all around him. nice verse, working on some new stuff ....keep writing and posting
E Wells KY

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Hope you made it home Dear Soldier E.Leo Wells ! I send you a Thank you for your service for all of.. read more



Reviews

This s such a beautiful but painful piece. i loved it brings the emotional feelings of leaving a lvoed one behind and a strange illogical calm that seems to flow thru a soilder on the front line .. its a wonderful piece i loved this greatly

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is very moving..especially coming from your own experience. Its sad in a way.... that you had to be there surrounded by death...but comforting to know that you did have those memories to keep you alive,sane and here you are today...sharing with us. Good job:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very Romantic and sweet.. yet sad.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely poem. I can tell it comes straight from the heart. Simply written, yet so powerful. I love the interestiong format, gives the poem almost a mysterious quality. I love the ending, it is so strong. I'm glad that you had these comforting thoughts while serving our country. I love how the poem shows the loving spirit of the man even while he is in a dangerous situation. It shows the good and bad side of humanity - Love and War. Thank you for a great read and for serving our country.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this speaks straight to my heart, my best friend was going to be in the war. All i could think of was trying to give him somthing worth coming home for.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ahhh sweet memories for you to treasure at such a dangerous time. I bet it helped a tiny wee bit.
Like this poem....straight and honest.
Thanks
Babs xx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My Grandfather was a U.S. Marine during world war two. He always tought me that "to be afraid is to be human, but to let your fear control you is to be weak..."

This was an awsome poem man! Anything soldier dedicated I love. I love our soldiers, past and present.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've never known anyone that took part in the war, or even served for their country but this made me feel like I did. It is honest and truthful, showing how adaptable and malleable the human spirit is, and what we use to get us through tough times. Beautiful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Coyote:

I've never been a soldier. So, when I read this poem, I do get a sense of some of the fear, and lonliness a young man far away from home on some distant battle field might feel. "The smell of flowers. The feel of the silk dress." would help to keep me human right here on the mean streets of good old U.S.A.

Mainly, your poem drew my mind to my son Ron. He's in Afgahnistan now. What is he thinking? What are his memories? I hope he thinks of his mommy and daddy. (WORD!)

I wish I could offer something technical. I've never written poetry, so I have no foundation to comment on the technical aspects of your writing. In the end the emotional response you get from your reader is what is most important.

Good work.

Sincerely,
Ronald Ayers

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great, you are back. I thought, this was sad.
We always make our choices.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5334 Views
164 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan