The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Soldier goes off to War. Need kind and sweet memories to keep them human.

"


                     The Lover (A soldier prayer)
 
Poor boys and men.
Roads lead to War.

 
Young woman with a  sweet smile.
Silk dress.
Smelling like sweet flowers.

 
Whisper,  "let's dance tonight.
You shall go to War."

 
"Tonight we need to create photos for the heart."

 
"Memories to keep you warm when you are lonely and afraid."

 
Young man brings the sweet Angel close.
Whisper kind words of love and thankfulness.

 
Soldier stand alone.
Cleans his M-16.
Death is all around him.

 
He closes his eyes.
He remembered.
The smell of flowers.
The feel of the silk dress.

 
The sweet smile of his love.

 
Keeps him human.

 
                  John Castellenas
                  4 April 2009
 
 
 

© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I stood alone on guard duty on the border of Iraq. Didn't think of War. I thought of beautiful faces and family.
Coyote

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Do a little soldier poetry myself ...fought the demons and the devil, walked the trail and waded the rivers, ...you stuff is good, Soldier stand alone. Cleans his M-16. Death is all around him. nice verse, working on some new stuff ....keep writing and posting
E Wells KY

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Hope you made it home Dear Soldier E.Leo Wells ! I send you a Thank you for your service for all of.. read more



Reviews

Incredible. I'm sending this link to some of my friends that serve.
It reminds me very very much of the stories I hear from one of my friends that served in Iraq.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is marvelous. Very emotional and the imagery is outstanding. I could feel the external coldness and the safe place, the softness and peace he created within. In closing his eyes, he could travel to another place and time in order to maintain sanity of some sort. Self preservation.

Well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved this piece, purely because it was heart-warming and beautiful. Although it talked about war, it showed how he stayed human due to his home, his memories, his wife. Oh, and thank you for serving the country :) great poem too :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, first now I saw that this was a real life experience you wrote about, this makes this poem even stronger.
Thank you for sharing this, I am sure it can help other men who have to go to war

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful story in this poem. So sad.
I enjoyed the ending, because war changes man and if he doesn't remember normal things in life, he want be "human"

I think the two last stanzas should be as one verse instead of two verses with one line each, but that is all I can say about what could be changed. I like it the way it is now too



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My best friend did 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan..all he has to share are horror stories...this was quite refreshing...you've spoken from a positive perspective on such a negative situation...I will never quite understand the true impact that war has on a soldier...I've never been there myself...but from all that i've heard...you have shed a whole different light on it with this peice. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't know how I feel about this one. A little bit different style, I think, than I would like to see. Weird flow at the 5th "stanza" (that 5th standing line). Again with the ending of the 6th stanza. . . I feel like the flow is interrupted ("thankfulness") for some reason. Slight grammatical error ("he close his eyes") here.

I feel like you jump from a weird present to past tense when you bring in the line "He remembered." because it feels as though you're speaking of the above text to be a memory, but it's not welcomed as well as it could possibly be. . . so it's a bit misleading, I think?

I think it's got a great message, for sure. Especially since I've never experienced or known anyone who's experienced the war first hand.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

war and smile... contradictory!! it indeed needs a lot of courage to be positive and smile in midst of bloodshed... U changed my views on soldiers.. I used to think about them as a heartless human.. thanks for showing this aspect of a soldier...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


i was moved by this and im very thankful for the opportunity to read it
have a blessed christmas

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All that keeps you sane in those situations. good poem

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5340 Views
164 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan