Water Fountain

Water Fountain

A Story by Centipedle

    It had been a week since I found Shoe near the forests by my house. I was standing in the waiting room of Snow’s hospital building. The entrance being a large room - chairs lining either side. Forwards was two doors on either side of the room, the one to right held his office and the other was to his main house or temporary hospital for those who were more sick. It seemed like he had upped his personnel since I was last here. Nurses and the like were handling other sick people right in the waiting room. The floor lined with tile made me stare at the black and white checkerboard like pattern. Giving a soft sigh wondering if this was a good idea. Bringing Shoe out in the open here like this when she was a wanted criminal. Really though, I didn’t know what to do when she woke up in the middle of the night screaming.

    I certainly wasn’t doing fine myself of course. I had texted Pidge beforehand where I was going but she seemed to be busy with other things. Of course I told her I was fine, but I was feeling like the world was resting itself on my shoulders. Well a world at least. I rubbed the bridge of my nose a bit and took in a deep breath trying to ease the pain of anxiety in my chest. My arms were crossed in a barrier of sorts - I was avoiding talking with anyone. Happy that I wasn’t exactly famous - it was Shoe who was. She had gotten all sorts of looks when she first entered, but Snow had been eager to see to her. Sure the double souled man was a bit quirky but he was the best doctor that all the worlds had to offer at the moment. He was five times my age at least, so there was a lot of experience beyond his belt.

    I honestly thought I was doing just fine. That was until raised my head to see who else entered. My eyes widened in a slight panic when I saw Quelt enter the waiting room. What was she doing here? Well I did suppose she even needed check ups sometimes. I still tried to avoid eye contact, but before I turned away I saw her spot me and head straight in my direction. My heart pounded against my chest as she tapped my shoulder. “Hey Kurt, it’s a surprise to see you here. I didn’t know Snow was your doctor.” her tone held no hostility. I wouldn’t be deceived neither, the deity of truth could tell if you were lying and in turn she herself could not lie even if she wanted to. I forced myself to look at her with a crooked awkward smile.

    “Yeah, small universe I guess. I actually came to see about fixing my meds.” It wasn’t a lie, I had planned on getting a check up after Shoe was done. After seeing some hallucinations, I was kind of wanting to switch out my antidepressants. Of course that was a detail that I wouldn’t like to share but Quelt had to ask anyway.

    “I didn’t know you were on medication, what for?” I winced for a moment and it seemed like she noticed by the way she blinked and recoiled for a moment.

    “Sorry just, I like to keep my private life just that… private.” I muttered and that was the truth. Quelt and I had met on business and while me and Lyre had a personal relationship I did not have one with Quelt. Knowing fully well how she probably heard a lot about me through Lyre, the two world leaders had a funny relationship really. From what I heard Quelt had known Lyre since she was a small child. I let the thought pass for a moment and Quelt smiled gently at me.

    “I get that, sorry for being intrusive. I’m here for a checkup myself. Feel like my instincts are scratching at me. Handling twins isn’t exactly a great time.” I became curious to her tone of voice. Quelt was a deity, but originally had been a Holy Demon. A species whose soul created instincts another being entirely living inside of themselves. Normally there was only one but Quelt was implying she had a set of instincts. I could only imagine being a species with others living in their head. Like devils with their multiple demons inside of them they had to deal with. I felt sort of bad now for hiding things from her.

    “I can only imagine what it must be like really. Having to deal with other lives inside of you.” Though I do suppose there were a lot of species like that. The universe tended to make them that way so maybe they never got lonely, either that or it drove them insane easily. Quelt gave a small laugh to this.

    “Such is life, sometimes I think it’s the worse thing in the world. Other times I’m thankful.” She looked off for a moment and scratched her cheek. The talk had distracted me from the noise that had started in the medical room to the right. It sounded like a wild animal going crazy, growling and barking suddenly I was tensed. Without even a second thought after I ran and burst into the door with Quelt following at my heels. My jaw dropped when I saw a lion matching a five foot tall two tailed beast in size. Sonnie’s bright purple mane was shining brightly, but the black parts of his pelt almost looked as if they were melting away. His purple eyes laced with pain as his white hair hung over his face. The tan colored huge lion must have been snow the two in a locked gaze as Snow tried to hold his ground.

    Instinctively before Quelt could do anything I shifted into my tiger form and lunged between the two of them. I was short compared to the two, considering my white tiger form was that of the actual animal itself. Suddenly with Sonnie on my right he lunged and I lunged back with my claws outstretched for a hold on either side of his front limbs. The saber toothed canine beast easily knocked me back. Slamming my head into the tile floor before as I growled out, scratching at the mutt’s snout until Sonnie screamed out in pain.

    “Quelt quick grab that syringe there. Hand it to me.” Snow yelled as I looked up for a moment to see him back in his human form. Quelt quick to move as I tried to hold Sonnie off of me now. My powerful forepaws slamming into his chest over and over keeping his head from clamping onto my throat of otherwise. He could practically fit my whole head in his mouth so I couldn’t be too careful. Bringing up my back paws I sank my claws into his underbelly, dazing the creature as he stumbled back a bit. Snow appeared from my right and stuck the needle into Sonnie’s arm, releasing the clear like liquid into him. I shifted back to human form and stood up.

    Sonnie began to scream out in pain, but he was fading fast. Shrinking, he returned Shoe’s body to herself. As she lay on the ground writhing in pain, I suddenly ran towards the woman. Placing a hand on her shoulder as I could see tears falling from the corners of her eyes. She curled onto her side, before falling asleep from what it seemed. I shook her a bit gently, but could see the steady rise and fall of her chest so I didn’t have to worry about that. Backing away from her I could see that Quelt was clearly confused maybe even a bit angered. Then I started to feel woozy all of a sudden. Looking down I noticed a stream of blood leaving my nose - from the top of my head. I touched it, the thick liquid had built up probably from when my head smashed into the tile. Unable to support myself I heard Quelt yelling at me for a moment before I saw the ground heading straight for me and then darkness.


    I groaned softly as I opened my eyes, which seemed like an effort in itself. Of course as soon as my body was aware that it was awake I sat up in a panic. Bewildered looking from side to side as I noticed Snow was standing right beside me. I was still in the medical room, on the table like chair used to treat easy patients. Quelt had Shoe, who was still unconscious, in a pair of magic cuffs probably to keep her from shifting or Sonnie coming back. I opened my mouth and reached out to her but Snow pressed a hand onto my chest.

    “Don’t move, you had a concussion so you’ll be dizzy for a while.” Snow warned as I looked at him. I glared for a single moment, as he seemed surprised for that to be coming from me. I carefully swung my legs around to stand. Not entirely steady as Snow stuck by me, I went to feel my head and noticed I had been bandaged around there.

    “Don’t arrest her Quelt.” I muttered drowsily. Trying to get my body to function the way I wanted it to. Quelt looked at me with a glare on her face I found myself standing between her and the chair that Shoe was sitting in. The country leader seemed dumbfounded.

    “Don’t arrest her, Kurt I’ve been searching for Shoe for at least three years now maybe even more. You did know she was up to something and decided not to tell us when we asked you about it. Emil was worried sick about their wife and you decided to say nothing. Do you know how this looks? Shoe has been murdering world leaders in a strain! So you can’t exactly tell me not to arrest her without a good reason.” She crossed her arms. “You’re lucky I don’t arrest you too, but a certain idiot probably would come bail you out.” I knew she was talking about Lyre just then. I groaned subconsciously.

    “Well you don’t know the whole story, so you too can’t exactly tell me you’re going to arrest her without questioning first!” I wanted to go and crawl away. Shoe was not my problem, yet I still stood by her side at the end of the day. Even after she had put me in the hospital I felt sort of like a daughter trying to defend their mother. “Whatever happened to Shoe wasn’t entirely her fault you know. She’s been at my house for a week and every night she’s waking up screaming about men in black robes! I came here to see if Snow knew what happened to her.” I tried to keep myself afloat. “Look I know you have rules, but please just let me have her. I’ll take full responsibility for her actions from now on! I know people have been looking for her for years, but the beginning of this year she came to me asking for help and I’m between worlds what did you expect me to do!” I breathed heavily as Quelt could tell that I wasn’t lying. Of course her expression was less than please. I know of all people Emil was probably worried about their wife. Quelt then turned back to Snow who had been quiet.

    “Snow then, what exactly IS wrong with Shoe. If she isn’t fit to go anywhere then I know I can’t exactly throw her in a jail cell without the proper care.” She tapped her finger against her arm. As Snow seemed rather uncomfortable and pressed his hand to the back of his own head.

    “I think you should leave her with Kurt. She’s done a good job with taking care of the woman thus far.” I kind of felt happy that the doctor was praising me. Quelt glared at him then.

    “That’s not what I asked, I just saw her trying to tear your throat out I want an explanation!” she hissed suddenly and I was drawn back by the woman’s fierceness. Snow just smiled then and lifted his hands to either sides of himself palms up.

    “It seems to me that Shoe’s been under a classic case of experimentation and torture.” He paused to see Quelt’s muscles relaxed as I tried to keep myself standing and pay attention to the two. “As you know I’ve done a fair share of these things in the past. You see Sonnie was recently separated from Shoe’s body. Normally this is dangerous seeing as her species works similiar to yours Quelt you know that. Besides that though the beast had been living peacefully with Shoe as long as he was by her side. It seems though recently someone whoever these men in black robes were decided to try and force Sonnie back into her without taking the proper channels. They tried to meld their souls together, while they did get Sonnie back in. They basically cracked her soul and his own. As Shoe’s a special case with Sonnie, the BOTH of them are probably just going to need some time and care to heal. From what I hear they also slaughtered this ‘partner in crime’ that Shoe had. I don’t know what you think, but you know when Shoe loves someone she really does love them so I’d show her a bit of sympathy.” Snow said his piece and it seemed at that point that Quelt was convinced. She dropped her gaze for a moment. Deep in thought it seemed. After a frustrated sigh she then turned towards me.

    “You want to be her guardian kid, then fine. But I’m giving you a few guidelines regardless of you not having an affiliation with any country. For one, if Shoe or Sonnie hurts anyone - you’ll be charged and not her. No more of this world leader hunting either, she should be in bed resting under your supervision at all times. If this means you have to take some time off work, then I’ll handle your expenses myself. Also Shoe really needs to see Emil. Emil’s been searching for Shoe forever, but I know I don’t want to pressure her so that’s up to you. Snow, you make sure to let me know about her progress too. BOTH OF YOU, no more holding secrets from me. I’ll find out sooner or later and then s**t like THIS happens!” Quelt glared at the both of us. She turned to me though and took in a breath. “I’m trusting you Kurt, so don’t betray that trust.” Somehow I felt like it was a great honor. Then again my mind was reeling with how I felt, what kind of situation had I gotten myself into.

    “Now you need to lay down before you pass out. Come with me I’ll take Shoe and you can rest in one of my rooms until you’re ready to go home. Quelt you can stay here so I can have a look at you.” Snow said as Quelt seemed to nod her head. I followed his instructions, happily laying on a soft plush bed before my body decided to sleep without me even wanting it to.

© 2017 Centipedle


Author's Note

Centipedle
Oh gosh the muse I had for this was ridiculous. I'm actually VERY proud of the turn out as well :,D. It makes me laugh I don't think Kurt knows Quelt slept with Shoe.

Anyway, for those who are confused. Quelt is a world leader whose friends with Emil Tooru - Emil the original leader of the country Quelt now runs is like an advisor. Emil is Shoe's married partner though the two are poly-amorous. Shoe's been missing for years and Kurt has been hiding Shoe from the world by Shoe's request when she came to her one day. Kurt being a peacekeeper tries to stay neutral at all times. So hence now the situation at hand after Shoe was discovered to have been kidnapped and tortured. Kurt doesn't know Quelt very well and they only spoke once when Quelt tried to gather intel on Shoe's where abouts hoping to hire Kurt to help.

Hope that helps a little. -rolls-

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice writing. I like fantasy. I'm a fantasy writer as well. Yes your author notes clear up things.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I have to tell you the truth . . . I'm not very good at reading fantasy and my memory is shot so I forget the various unfamiliar characters. However, your fantasy writing is done with attention to describing each action scene well & with good details, so that I don't feel lost or confused, even when I'm not remembering who is who & where they fit in the story. I just enjoy reading you becuz of your great imagination, playful interactions, & well-crafted dialogue (((HUGS)))

(Sorry I haven't been on this website in awhile, so I'm even less familiar with your characters than usual . . . I'll be catching up, little by little!)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Centipedle

7 Years Ago

It's fine! I've been getting so many compliments from people who don't generally like fantasy that t.. read more
Your Author's Note cleared it up a bit, but you really need to revise it all. The typos are pretty confusing.

Other than that, it was pretty cool. I liked the idea and the story very much. Keep it up!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 1, 2017
Last Updated on February 1, 2017

Author

Centipedle
Centipedle

Apple Valley, CA



About
Hi, my name is Pedle as an online handle. Don't be afraid of my username! Note about reading your stuff. I try to review as much as I can if you are on my list below. But the best SURE way to get .. more..

Writing
Mindset Mindset

A Story by Centipedle


Sea Sea

A Poem by Centipedle