Old Friend

Old Friend

A Poem by Centipedle
"

some days, aren't so bad after all

"
I met an old friend by the path today.
I hadn't seen them in many years.
They took me on a stroll, down memory lane.
Where the cloudy days, suddenly became gold.
We spoke of the good within the bad days.
Caught up on the future too.
It was the first time in ages.
I felt like, I could take a breath.
When the sun began to set.
As we had to depart.
I thankfully said.
Tomorrow, we'll talk.

© 2017 Centipedle


Author's Note

Centipedle
Today I ran into some old friends on the internet. and for me, internet friends are real friends just like any others. these were people I hadn't talked to in maybe 4-5 years. We used to rp together and I stumbled upon them on a roleplay site that I have decided to join.

That aside one of them pulled me aside. Happy is their username - and we had a very long talk. I talked about how rough my life had been as of late - how I lost many important things to me including someone who I thought for a better word I was in love with. How being single isn't what I thought it was going to be but now with me stumbling upon them I am extremely happy.

It was a talk I felt like a severely needed and of it born this rather heartfelt poem in which I feel like I haven't been able to write in such a long time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful poem. I agree. Old friends and good conversations make us feel better. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very well done. This piece displays compassion and understanding. People part ways for a reason but it need not be set in stone. Your compassion was not lost on this reader. You give us much to contemplate within our own lives and relationships. Big props.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is more complicated than it seems. A few things struck me - the use of 'good within...bad days' rather than simply 'good and bad days'. The former implies that all days were bad but some had redeeming moments?
The farewell too - it felt that the speaker was undecided within themselves whether to re-forge the link and was even unable to choose voluntarily in their own mind - so was relieved and happy that they said 'Tomorrow we'll talk' and not what? Maybe the meeting went better than expected and there is a desire for more of the same which made me think of the episode of Frasier where his old friend visited and they had a ball reminiscing but then they repeated the exercise (though they'd have preferred not to have) the next day and they just spoke of the same 'good times' - soon they started to avoid one another because they didnt want to hurt the other's feelings. A lesson in 'what was cannot be again', I guess.

Your poem stirred up a lot of interest Centi. Well done !

Posted 7 Years Ago


a lovely write that flowed until i hit " as we had to depart" line, I prefer the omission of as in that line to improve the flow.

Posted 7 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

7 Years Ago

"we had to depart" sounds better for me on a few readings
Centipedle

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the critique ^^ I appreciate it. I'm always striving to write better.
andrew mitchell

7 Years Ago

So am I lol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017

Author

Centipedle
Centipedle

Apple Valley, CA



About
Hi, my name is Pedle as an online handle. Don't be afraid of my username! Note about reading your stuff. I try to review as much as I can if you are on my list below. But the best SURE way to get .. more..

Writing
Mindset Mindset

A Story by Centipedle


Sea Sea

A Poem by Centipedle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..