The Proposal

The Proposal

A Story by Chandu
"

a story of two friends realising the love they have for each other

"

The story dates back to my highschool. I was a fresher. When I was entering the class room, one guy shot out his foot to trip me up. I fell down and the whole class laughed. Then I got angry and splashed a bottle of water on his face..There started our story..We started picking on each other for petty things ...fighting evryday..pulling pranks.. humiliating yet we like each other..we used to skip classes and have fun playing foot ball. Our friendship grew stronger as we grew older.
I thought we could continue like this till the end. But Iife had other plans for us.

Time passed. We were finally out of the high school and We joined the same college. we both as usual roaming in the campus having a spat for a chocolate we just bought. Then she appeared from nowhere standing with her friends and laughing at us. Her innocent laugh caught his attention. He stopped fighting and looked at her. He froze for a moment..smiled,patted himself on the head and walked away. I didn't understand what was going on. Besides I was so happy as I got hold of the chocolate. The next day, I saw him sitting next to her in the class. I didn't care much. He started having his lunch with her..it hurt but I chose to ignore. Day by day he was moving away from me. I didn't feel it right. I was worried. He started spending more and more time with her..He was not even fighting with me as he usually does when asked he used to say that we are grown ups and not supposed to fight like kids over small things. Though what he said was true,i was not happy to hear it from him. I used to try meeting him many times but couldn't go near him bcz I used to see her beside him. They both got really close that there was not enough space for me to slide in. I missed the old days. I missed him more..my friends used to say that he is in love with her and I have to accept it and move on.. somehow my heart was not accepting this truth..I suffered loniless for so many days and finally decided that if he belongs to anyone it should be me. I realized that I was in love with him and I blamed myself for not proposing him all those days when we were together.

While this was going,
My football competition had started. I was getting ready for the match about to start..I saw my friend running towards me..she came to me panting..I was shocked when I heard what she said. She had seen the girl buying a gift to propose her love to him in the morning. This shattered my heart. I couldnt even concentrate on my game ..I struggled to keep up but finally my team lost and I hurt my leg badly..
I blamed myself for losing the game and the guy. I was sitting alone in the football ground and mourning over my loss. I thought by that time she would have expressed her feelings and he slipped outta my hands. I was devastated.
Then I heard someone calling out my name. When I raised my head, I was surprised..it was him walking towards me.
He said
" u hurt ur leg and didn't care to tell me. Come I will drop u at home"
Then he took me on his back
I was confused and sad and finally broke out into tears..I cried for some time and dozed off..I woke up after some time..i was feeling better and different as I was so close to him.. I felt his rugged breathing. His shirt was wet with my tears. I looked at the beautiful night sky..Stars were sparkling. The world around me became colourful. I clinged to him so tight as if someone is trying to snatch him away from me. He noticed it. "don't worry blockhead!! Nothing has changed. No one is gonna steal me away from you"he wishpered. She was passing by us in her bike and stopped at a distance after looking at us. He started blabbering about how he spent his day...it had been a long time since he talked to me like that.Thinking this is the right time, without any further ado, I took a leap of faith , tightly closed my eyes and uttered those three special words which I have been longing to say ' I Love You' He stopped and looked back at me. My heart was pounding fast..Then he smiled blinking his eyes and I started to blush..It felt like everything has fallen in place. I winked at her mouthing " he is mine" and gave a smirk smile.

And Now here we are still fighting over petty things after all these years.

© 2021 Chandu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on August 15, 2021
Last Updated on August 15, 2021
Tags: romantic, love, propose

Author

Chandu
Chandu

vellore, Tamil Nadu, India



Writing
The Journey The Journey

A Story by Chandu