Chapter 8: Road to Exilio

Chapter 8: Road to Exilio

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Mark Jr. gets the idea to get both families out of their element in an attempt to help them bond better, and what better place to do that than a certain remote island?

"

The rest of Wintertime dragged by at a pace so slow that it made a sloth look like a mako shark, temperatures fluctuating between the thirties and fifties, the occasional snowfall, and an overall dreary and lifeless atmosphere outside. Such a pace could also be applied to the process of bridging the gap between the Simmons and Sterling families. While their children were able to at least come to decent terms with each other, the relationship development among the older generation proved to be rather clunky. As arguably the smartest person in the group, Mark Jr. decided that the reason behind such hostility and defensiveness among the Sterlings was because they were out of their element as well as their home turf. So he figured that the best way to help his and his wife's families bond was to do it in a place where nobody in the two-family gaggle would be at an advantage. And he happened to know just the spot.


One day as mid-Spring approached, both families were gathered in the living room at Simmons Manor, Jr. Justine sat in the middle of the couch, cradling her newborn niece, while her parents sat on either side of her, their attention divided betwixt their granddaughter and the television. Meanwhile, Kendra, Kendall, and Zeke busied themselves compulsively and hurriedly cleaning the living room, dusting and polishing various knick-knacks and pieces of furniture, but occasionally stopping to sip the vegetable acai smoothie they'd whipped up in the kitchen. Paul and Lorraine occupied the love-seat, looking as indifferent as ever as they each held a dog on their lap.


It was then that Junior and Rosemary both stepped into the room, the former clapping his hands together to get everyone's attention.


"So! How is everyone doing?" he asked, earning various types of grunts in response.


"Why do you care?" Lorraine grumbled.


"Because, Mom, we've been thinking for a while. And we've decided that we're all gonna spend the day bonding together over an outing," Rosemary explained. "But since that'll only last until the evening, what say we decide what our dinner plans will be."


"I dunno. Just so long as it's not more of that fancy elite cuisine y'all love so much." Paul sneered.


"I suggest we take a look around this town and eat out tonight," Zeke spoke up, his mood far better than before. "I remember seeing an interesting-looking Chinese place on the way in here."


"That sounds good... just so long as they don't use any of that imitation crabmeat." Kendall put on a repulsed look.


"But Kendall, you know today's one of our meatless days." Kendra corrected her.


"Yeah, except meat and seafood are separate things."


"Nope, no they're not."


"Uh, yeah they are!"


"One thing's for certain: you guys have to try the local ice cream place. They serve regular ice cream, sherbet, sorbet, yogurt, and custard," Rosemary said.


"And before we go there, how's about we eat at my pops' joint? Or hell, they even have a delivery service," Katrina suggested.


"Didn't we just say no fancy crap?" Lorraine glared at her fellow matriarch.


"And how do ya' know it's crap?" Katrina glowered back. "Y'know, it ain't wise to prompt a fight with a New Yorker."


"Guys, guys, calm down." Mark raised his burly arms to silence everyone. "Since it's clearly gonna take a bit of time to decide on dinner, why don't we just go on the outing first and make the decision later?"


"Thanks, Dad. Now this outing means a hell of a lot to me, as the place we're going to is the source of some of my greatest memories," Junior explained.


"Wait a sec! You don't mean...?" Justine suddenly looked up.


"Oh, yes I do. Folks, for the sake of settling our differences-and as an early father's day present to myself-we're heading to Isla del Exilio!" Junior finished with a raised index finger. "Apparently it was recently converted into a tourist attraction, and it was even taken in as a U.S. territory, so it should be at least a little different from how it once was. Plus, it would surely be enjoyable for all the nature-lovers in this room."


"Eh, I'm game." Zeke shrugged.


"Totally!" the Sterling twins replied at the same time.


"Only because I'm bored to death," Paul grunted, his wife nodding assent.




With the exception of Paul and Lorraine's apathy, the general reaction to the news seemed pretty positive overall, which was a good sign. For Junior and Justine, it would be utterly thrilling and nostalgic to visit the place they'd accidentally stumbled upon for the summer just under ten years ago and see how much it had changed since their rescue. Mark and Katrina were also excited, as they never got the chance to explore the place during their brief visit. Rosemary, however, was especially pumped. She'd heard many a tale about her husband's misadventures on that island, and had wished she was there to experience it all with him. Not even the fact that her period came back for the first time after giving birth could bring her down today. Especially since childbirth made inserting a tampon far easier than it used to be.


The trip consisted of a two-hour private jet ride from Montana to Miami, followed by a taxi to the docks. At which point the gang boarded an air-boat with a large fan on the back, alongside a host of other tourists, of course. And within less than half an hour, they were sailed out towards the formerly uncharted island, the very place where the Simmons twins had been taught about the intrinsic value of Mother Nature and for once were forced to put their whole lives into perspective. Everyone looked around as soon as they climbed out of the boat, admiring the black-sand beach and the lush jungles and mangrove mazes before them. The jungle took up most of the island's space, but there were also areas occupied by hot springs and sugarcane fields. A tall but inactive volcano could also be seen in the distance, poking above all the foliage and crowned with a rusted silver helicopter wreckage.


"Welp, here we are! Home sweet home away from home!" Junior quipped, staring tenderly at the infant in his arms. "C'mon, Primrose. Let's pick up a little more on your dad's background, why don't we?"


Primrose just babbled incoherently in response, but appeared content nonetheless.


"Y'know I never really got the chance to appreciate how beautiful dis' place was," Katrina remarked.


"Indeed." Mark nodded.


"Man, I've got a raging nostalgia clitoral erection right now," Justine chuckled.


"So you weren't just pulling our legs when you said you spent an entire summer here?" Kendall asked.


"Of course not, guys. I'd never lie about something so bizarre," Justine replied, before she abruptly grabbed each twin's hand with a grin. "Now how about I try to show you two around here? See if I can remember everything?"


"Well it may be exotic, but it's still nature at the end of the day, and that's alright with me," Paul stated, being the slightly more optimistic parent.


"I guess," Lorraine groaned. "Let's just get this over with so we can go back to slightly more familiar territory."


"Good afternoon, everyone!" a bespectacled Indian woman spoke through a megaphone in a purely American accent, sporting a burnt orange polo shirt just long enough to reach her form-fitting khakis. "I am Danielle MacGuire, and I'll be your tour guide today! Now this may be a small island, but it would still be ideal to stay close and not wander off too much!"


"Hahaha, ain't even been five minutes and we already meet a familiar face," Katrina giggled, walking up to the tour guide. "Yo, Danielle. Remember me?"


"Oh, uh, hi Katrina," Danielle replied.


"Uh, who is this now?" Mark cocked a gray-flecked tan eyebrow.


"She and I were in the same women's copin' group durin' the war," Katrina explained. "Dani, meet my folks."


"Hello," all the other Simmons' replied in unison.


"I take it you two may have met her while you were stranded here?" Katrina turned to her children.


"I sure don't remember meeting her," Junior responded as his sister shrugged.


"Oh, I was never stranded here, but I did get a new job working here. It's pretty nice to be away from it all from nine to five each day," Danielle explained.


"Nice to see you again, Danielle." Rosemary gave her a hug.


"Same to the both of you." Danielle nodded.


"Hey listen, sorry again about Blake," Rosemary continued.


"Huh? Oh no, no, it's fine. S**t happens." Danielle put a hand on her opposite arm, looking a tad solemn. Perhaps her loss had prompted her to switch to this new life?


"Can we please just skip the pleasantries and get this tour over with?!" Lorraine shouted as Zeke put a hand on her shoulder, in a rather poor attempt at calming her down.


"Alright, alright, we'll get started." Danielle nodded, bringing her megaphone back up. "Now without further ado, follow me!"



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on August 6, 2022
Last Updated on August 6, 2022
Tags: family, humor, drama, reconciliation, fish out of water, slice of life


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing