Chapter 11: Cruel Summer Cookout

Chapter 11: Cruel Summer Cookout

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

With tensions easing between the two families, everyone makes plans to set up a dinner party in order to celebrate their progress.

"

Summer was arguably the most divisive time of year among the human race. Kids loved it because it usually meant endless fun and no school; teenagers liked it for similar reasons, but also because it let them catch up on their sleep; meanwhile, adults dreaded it because they usually had to work no matter the weather, and in some cases their jobs actually required more hours during the summer months. But for a fastidious, hardworking outdoorswoman like Rosemary, summer was easily the best season of the four. It was on the hottest of days when the vast majority of the produce in her garden was in season, giving her more work to keep herself busy, and also letting her save money on groceries due to not having to buy fruits and vegetables anymore.


Plus, today would mark a major turning point in the process of earning her family's blessing; Rosemary was sure that one look at the well-cultivated backyard would make her stone-cold mother fall to pieces. She managed to find Lorraine lounging in the living room with Katrina, though not necessarily to enjoy each other's company. They drank from a shared pitcher of homemade golden raspberry lemonade, containing several ice cubes, a splash of honey, and a sprig of mint to alter the flavor a bit, simultaneously watching a women's tennis match on the television.


"Afternoon, Mom," Rosemary greeted her mother with a peck on the cheek.


"What's so good about it?" Lorraine deadpanned.


"Um, I didn't say 'good', so that comment makes no sense," Rosemary replied. "But regardless, it's kind of important. While Junior's busy watching Primrose, I thought I'd show you a little surprise."


"A surprise, huh? Dear, you know I don't-"


"Aw, knock it off, Mom. You'll love this one, I just know it." Rosemary dragged her mother out of her chair, reaching up to place her free hand over her eyes.




After about five minutes, she removed her hand and as expected, Lorraine's eyes widened as far as they could. Right before her was the spacious backyard she'd never noticed since crashing at Simmons Manor Jr. The lawn was neatly mowed and looked as though it had stripes, and around the edges of the fenced-in-yard were countless fruits and vegetables. Root/bulb vegetables, squash, melons, and potato plants sprouted up in one corner, alongside a large assortment of leafy greens, peas, legumes, and beans. Trees bore different species of apples, pears, pitted and citrus fruits, and bushes contained an array of berries, peppers, beefsteak and heirloom tomatoes, and tomatillos.


A varied selection of herbs and chives grew around a ceramic birdbath, a cobblestone path leading from the back doorstep to a koi pond. In the middle of said pond was a gazebo with a bird-feeder hanging from it and a charcoal grill in the center, a gaping hole in the roof so the smoke could escape. A chicken and turkey coop for fresh eggs lay in one corner of the yard, with a white wooden beehive in another, right next to a redwood basin filled with compost. Occupying some of the lawn was a small handmade playground that was still under construction, presumably for Primrose to play on once she grew big enough. Apparently, Lorraine wasn't the first one to discover this place, as Kendra and Kendall could be seen meditating on the grass, undisturbed by the conversation that immediately began.


"Holy hell..." Lorraine said as she glanced around the place. "I-Is this...?"


"Yep, I've been working on this here garden since I first moved in here," Rosemary explained. "Every year I try to top it. Junior loves to help me out here too, and we always partake in the farmer's market every weekend."


"She ain't makin' dis up," Katrina chimed in, having followed them back here. "Your daughter's just as hardworkin' as we is, if not more so, so it wasn't hard to win us over."


"Huh. Well I guess I was wrong, then." Lorraine abruptly pulled her daughter into a tight, warm embrace. Another relationship no longer awry. "Maybe you haven't been completely urbanized after all."


"That's what I've been trying to tell you all this time, Mom," Rosemary replied, looking her mother directly in the face. "I never lost sight of my roots. I just wanted to branch out a little, but that never stopped me from doing the stuff I loved growing up."


"No kidding," Lorraine chuckled, a little sheepish.


"Now how about I show you around a bit? No way you'll be able to recognize every type of crop back here." Rosemary smirked.


"I've been farming for over forty years, so just try me." Lorraine smirked back.


"Okay, well I doubt you've ever heard of white asparagus, purple cauliflower, uglis, graffiti eggplant, or dragon-fruit," Rosemary continued. "Furthermore, did you know that the different colors of bell peppers are actually the same species, just picked at different points of ripeness? And that blackberries and black raspberries are actually not the same thing?"


"Well, actually I... nope, ya' got me." Lorraine shrugged. "Heh, look at you acting like a farm-girl again. Say, is it alright if I pick some of this stuff?"


"Of course, Mom. In fact, I was about to suggest that we whip up tonight's dinner using anything from the garden," Rosemary responded. "And to help patch up another relationship, I want you and Katrina to do the cooking."


Lorraine turned to Katrina wearily. "Oh, you mean like a cook-off? Heh, well then you're on, busty!"


"Nuh-uh, I meant a collaboration," Rosemary corrected her.


"Whaddaya say, country girl?" Katrina held out her hand.


"Oh, fine." Lorraine reluctantly shook hands with her. "So, uh, any stipulations for this?"


"Hmm... why don't you two try and combine your cooking styles? Your deep southern fare, with your Italian comfort food." Rosemary pointed at both matriarchs as she spoke.


"Sounds like fun." Katrina nodded. "Now c'mon, Lorraine. We gotta decide on what to pick for dinner."


Rosemary couldn't help but smile as she watched the two of them step past her and start exploring the backyard, finally able to see eye to eye on something, even if it was only begrudgingly.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on August 9, 2022
Last Updated on August 9, 2022
Tags: family, humor, drama, reconciliation, fish out of water, slice of life


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing