format manuscript

format manuscript

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

things to remember

"
  • Set the margins for you document at 3cm on all four sides.
  • Align to the left hand side only; the right hand side should remain jagged.
  • Use twelve point Times New Roman in black type only. Courier and Arial fonts may also be acceptable.
  • Lines should be double spaced with no extra spaces between paragraphs.
  • Single space between sentences after periods.
  • Indent new paragraphs and each new section of dialogue, with the exception of the opening paragraph of a chapter or scene break. Don't do this by hitting the tab key. Instead, set indentation to 1.25cm in Word through Format->Paragraph->Section.
  • Indicate scene breaks by inserting a blank line and centering the hash sign (#) in the center of the line.
  • Insert a key word from the title in the top right header with the page number and your last name. E.g., Smith - Manuscript - page 1
  • Begin chapters on new pages. Center the chapter title, even if it's only Chapter One (or Chapter 1), about one-third of the way down the page. Skip a couple of spaces and begin the text of the chapter.
  • Center a hash sign (#) one double-spaced blank line down at the end of the manuscript. Or, simply write The End. This will reassure agents and editors that pages aren't accidentally missing.
  • Use italics for italicized words. Never underline in novel manuscripts.
  • Your title page should include:


    • The name of the work.
    • Your approximate word count, to the nearest hundred.
    • Your contact details formatted in the same font and size as the manuscript font.
    • Copyright details.
    • Your agent's details, if you have an agent.

    Remember to keep a copy of your manuscript for yourself.

    © 2016 Cherrie Palmer


    My Review

    Would you like to review this Story?
    Login | Register




    Reviews

    Thank you so much for posting this brilliantly useful information, Cherrie. I can only assume it is okay to copy and print it, keep it by?

    :) always

    Posted 7 Years Ago


    1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

    Cherrie Palmer

    7 Years Ago

    :) you bet, I thought it was a good place to keep it for me and everyone else
    emmajoy

    7 Years Ago

    Thank you, Cherrie - believe me, i'm still learning, still making mistakes. Will copy and print now.. read more
    Cherrie Palmer

    7 Years Ago

    I have two books formatted with amazon kindle it is very user friendly

    Share This
    Email
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Request Read Request
    Add to Library My Library
    Subscribe Subscribe


    Stats

    355 Views
    1 Review
    Rating
    Added on May 18, 2016
    Last Updated on May 18, 2016

    Author

    Cherrie Palmer
    Cherrie Palmer

    Oakland, AR



    About
    I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

    Writing

    Related Writing

    People who liked this story also liked..





    Advertise Here
    Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5