Midnight Interlude

Midnight Interlude

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer
"

the moon

"

Time, now late I sipped warm milk. Then stoked the fire to warm myself. From my window seat, the pond appeared, and the weeping willow shed a tear.

 

The moon bejeweled each blade of grass and its brilliant shine was fully waxed. A lacey rime of frost emerged. Misty tendrils began a dance, and the restless wind mirrored each step.

 

The midnight song of the owl began.  A dainty mouse twitched her ear and moved in closer so she could hear.  The midnight interlude just ahead caused our mouse to hide her head. She did not wish to be a snack, so she let the shadows shade her back. 


 The lofty song filled the night, till a cranky bass leaped into the sky. The offended owl flew away, and the Indigo Blue Bunting took center stage. His brilliant wings colored bright, a display of art by lunar light.


The moon bowed low and from the pond did drink. With time now spent into the water he sank. The light of day opened-up her eyes, and her crested smile so pale of light. A cardinal’s voice began the day, his words of love on display. The morning blushed for all to see and the mated pair landed in a tree. Now my glass is washed and put away, as I reposed to end my day.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
maybe,

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i use to work nights ... no chance to interlude tho ;) strong opening line for me ..jumps right in so to speak .. the rhyming and cadence surprised me, expecting prose ... love the "lacey rime" ... you create a wonderful movement with it .. and thank you for "rime" had to look it up ...love the weave of birds, mouse and colors ... especially like how the mouse moves into shadow .. the owl is definitely master of night time hunting .. i think you speaker is doing all the right things to end the day ... let the day dust disappear ... sipping warm milk in a window seat ... mmmmmmmmmmm off to dream land then ;)
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Yes, my husband and I spent 8 plus years on the hoot shift. Nothing but knee's and elbows back then.. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

well ... we are connected in that way then, Cherrie ..i am most likely up soon after midnight and ma.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

amen to that
I do love nature poems Cherrie, and you have certainly stepped up to the plate with this beautiful write. Your midnight interlude by moonlight brought me wonderful imagery and the sounds of nature. Your description of the willow and blades of grass, particularly shine. Thoroughly enjoyed. All good wishes.

Chris

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Good morning and thank you Chris. I told Jacob I accently earsed the last stanza. BOO, and it's r.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Sorry you lost the last stanza, I enjoyed what I read Cherrie.
what a beautiful way to end the night...all those sounds, all those thoughts in the shadows waiting to safely emerge...
the voices of nature, the voices within the poet...the painting in words...the colors of night.
j.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

it did, exactly. Bookends.
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Part of me hates when I do that but then I can't help myself.
jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

actually it completes the thought...too many poets write in metaphor or allegory or whatever in bits.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

695 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on February 20, 2019

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chasing Cars Chasing Cars

A Poem by MsJewel