Midnight Interlude

Midnight Interlude

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer
"

the moon

"

Time, now late I sipped warm milk. Then stoked the fire to warm myself. From my window seat, the pond appeared, and the weeping willow shed a tear.

 

The moon bejeweled each blade of grass and its brilliant shine was fully waxed. A lacey rime of frost emerged. Misty tendrils began a dance, and the restless wind mirrored each step.

 

The midnight song of the owl began.  A dainty mouse twitched her ear and moved in closer so she could hear.  The midnight interlude just ahead caused our mouse to hide her head. She did not wish to be a snack, so she let the shadows shade her back. 


 The lofty song filled the night, till a cranky bass leaped into the sky. The offended owl flew away, and the Indigo Blue Bunting took center stage. His brilliant wings colored bright, a display of art by lunar light.


The moon bowed low and from the pond did drink. With time now spent into the water he sank. The light of day opened-up her eyes, and her crested smile so pale of light. A cardinal’s voice began the day, his words of love on display. The morning blushed for all to see and the mated pair landed in a tree. Now my glass is washed and put away, as I reposed to end my day.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
maybe,

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rye
This is such a wonderful, beautiful write. I found it a little thought provoking as well. Nicely expressed.
Awesome write

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Ryanna. I appreciate your encouragement.
Beautiful and bright within imaging. Great thoughts provoke those who even don't realize it. Like this one.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Jason, I been editing a chapter all day and missed your review.
:) thank you I'll swing by i.. read more
"the moon bejeweled each blade of grass"
That's probably the best line I've read here in months.

The rest is, fine. But you're trying too hard. It should be shorter. But it's not like it's bad... I just have high standards when I'm reading. If I was writing I know I couldn't do so good as you here.





Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I get the whole shorter thing. The sad thing is I have piled a sentence or two on the floor alre.. read more
Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

Don't take me too seriously, you're a better writer than me.

That "moon bejeweled" li.. read more
The night shone bright & came alive and in that most beautiful of lights, all manner of tiny heart beats beat..... a real treat of a read and true...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Neville

5 Years Ago

pleasure & true ..
So beautiful dear Cherrie. The words made the reader feel and see your words. Closing of a day, consist of many things. Most we forget to see. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you:)
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Cherrie.
'.. The offended owl flew away, and the Indigo Blue Bunting took center stage. His brilliant wings colored bright, a display of art by lunar light.'

Ohhhhhhh so beautiful! Your language is pure masterpiece, Cherrie. A succession of truth, of nature, of happenings so vivid and yet delicately placed. You have the lightest yet truest touch. Your rhyming prowess is so fine in this work.. ..

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

thank you Emma, originally I had the bunting in flight, but I thought it was to distracting and I re.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

You seem always to recognise where and what to..

Whereas I should cut MY stuff down b.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

You know I always want to end up with a longer poem, but instead of adding more words to maintain t.. read more
With a kid of nighttime and nature you have concocted a masterful piece of poetry,
Reminds of Robert Frost.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I wanted it take the reader with me. I humbly appreciate your compliment.:)
A perfect picture of moonlit night, with serenading songs of nature. Your delightful rhyming, and the description of gorgeous surroundings... it is beautiful in every respect. Absolutely lovely writing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Mrudula.
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

It's entirely my pleasure.
That cup of milk had more scenery in it than most holidays i've been on .
And to think that people waste their time watching tv when they could be viewing all this astounds me.
You not only painted s picture here Cherrie, you made a cinematic masterpiece of vision and sound. Pretty impressive, especially of a cold Tuesday.
The last line I love and wraps all that scenery into a thought, yhat to me says "beat that one, dream :)
Just one little thing...First verse says to warmed myself, maybe to warm myself was the intention.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I missed that all together.
Thank you kindly my friend. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed this... read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Lol well in the country you can get more bang for your milk.
Oh I liked looking thru your window Cherrie, what a lovely scene to be seen!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

as always, thank you :) I like to keep my window busy.
Robert Trakofler

5 Years Ago

more window!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

695 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on February 20, 2019

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..