A must read short story by Hemingway

A must read short story by Hemingway

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

'A Clean, Well-Lighted Place'

"

Hemingway is king of the short story. His no fluff approach to writing gathers the facts quickly and easily. Without embellishments he allows the reader to fill in the blanks, as he leads us down the road, breathing in the moment in a 3-D experience.  The story ‘A Clean, Well-Lighted Place,” is such a tale. It was published in 1933 in Scribner’s Magazine and can be found in ‘Winner Take Nothing’. It is a must read. 


The story is set in a Spanish Café late at night around 2AM with only three players: two waiters and a deaf old man that regularly comes to the café to drink. To me the café is obviously a real place stashed away in his mind, or at least a blending of said café.  He uses his first hand need of the drink to flavor the old man and maybe, just maybe he exposes a part of himself. 


I’ve seen a few want-a-be critics trash people’s short stories (here on the café). They say a snippet in time serves no purpose and is a waist of their own time.  I agree, people like that can learn nothing from another’s work and should not trouble their imagination.


This story takes us nowhere, it doesn’t allow us an ending, neither dose it fit in a larger scheme. Hemingway writes these words simply because he must. He had a need to capture the essence of a moment, and that he does better than anyone. He then allows us to sit beside him and share the moment. If we are willing to do that, then we can learn to see so much more on our own blank piece of paper.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
I hope you can find and enjoy this tale

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent read, you tell the story well, written for no other purpose than you must I will look at my own blank piece of paper with more understanding, lol, thanks

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I know I love this little story. Its flow and flavor blend so easily with the players he selected... read more
What I always admired about Hemingway--besides his lean style--was the meaning he somehow managed to place between the lines.
In truth, Papa wrote bone-clean free verse poetry.
Will find and read "Winner Take Nothing."
Thanks, Cherrie!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Yes, I read an article he was quoted in that the the key was to lay down the frame and let the read.. read more
I first enjoyed this many years ago and must say, your review of the work is spot on, I do hope others will be inspired by you to give it the whirl it so deserves..... N :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Neville

4 Years Ago

I once sat at the great mans typewriter when I visited his place in Cuba.... I may try and upload a .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I can't wait to see it.
Neville

4 Years Ago

just posted :)
Just read it on your recommendation Cherrie. Wonderful! So simple and boiled down to an utterly normal scene and conversation like real life. But written with such simple superiority.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I know, he has such a selection of short stories, but this is one of my favorites.
This highlights why i think i may never be able to write short stories in a non poetic form. My racing mind when spewed out in story form becomes a jumble of thoughts lacking connections it is a discipline I am not familiar I try to steer away from reviewing them for i lack the skills to do it and can only critique on the basis of a reader at this point I am barely able to write in poetic form but you sure put some interesting thought seeds in the bunny's head:)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

At heart I prefer to review as a reader. I think as writers who post our work for others to see. T.. read more
In my would be-if i knew how to have a-humble opinion, your post is a ginormously welcome addition to stirring thought and interest into short story writing in the cafe.

Having loved short stories for years, i came in here to post them.. but, turned to poetising for various reasons, mostly cos I obviously wasn't very good at them! However, Hemingway really knew how. He wrote using life experiences and personal preferences, tying them into make.believe fleckled with fishing, shooting, bull fighting, clinking glasses and bottles, sex and more. In other words, he conjured up a type of hot and sweaty masculine magic!

If you want brilliant local short story writers you have Sam Dickens and Ken Simm in the cafe (and undoubtedly others) who can weave magic out of warts and all! Those across the pond have O. Henry of old -as well as Steinbeck; the French have de Maupassant. Then, of course there's Tolstoy! And, so it goes on. They all have their own magic, making this special and precious kind of genre equal an epic when written with skill but often controlled imagination - plus perhaps, slightly more heart than full novels!

I did more than enjoy this tale. Cherrie, thank you so very much for posting it. Perhaps you could open a short story contest!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


emmajoy

4 Years Ago

(Didn't edit before, have slightly tidied but sincere apologies for my many typos)
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

What's a typo between friends.
Anyway I Queen of typos.
I thought what you added w.. read more
emmajoy

4 Years Ago

You'd make a great diplomat!
You must KNOW I love Steinbeck (having grown up in Steinbeck country & still loving it here!) This story reminds me of a bookstore by the same name in Monterey or Santa Cruz. This is a great commentary, as well as a top-notch recommendation. I totally agree that many completely miss the value of some great shares at the cafe & thanks for calling them out! *wink! wink!* (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


barleygirl

4 Years Ago

Being a natural doofus, I clicked on this again, becuz I remembered reading something similar from y.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

If you have a hard time finding it I think it's on YouTube.
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I found a website with many Hemingway short stories . . . I've got it bookmarked for my later readin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 5, 2019
Last Updated on May 5, 2019
Tags: loneliness_ cafe_time_drink

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


First love. First love.

A Poem by Beccy


The wild never The wild never

A Poem by Eilis