Two Brother's Chase The Wind

Two Brother's Chase The Wind

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

Close

"

 

 


On a wild and windy day, children everywhere had to stay inside, and my seven-year-old grandson stood in front of me, spinning his ball restless and bored. 


Quickly we gripped it tight and leaned toward me, and whispered, “Did you know long ago people believed the world was flat?”



My eyes twinkled as words tumbled into place. “Come sit with me, and I’ll tell you a secret.”



Eagerly the boy let his ball fall away, as he anticipated my tale.



 “Long ago the world was flat, on its edges, the seas spilled away. In those long-forgotten days, it was the milky-way that kept us in water, and the Big Dipper ladled it out.”



 The lad arched an eyebrow but continued to listen silence.



“Now in the days when the world was young two brothers ruled the light, each claimed a side of the earth, and as it happens so many times in life, they both fell in love with the same soul, the wild and restless Wind. One night a furious Sundown chased after the Wind only to find her wrapped in the arms of Daybreak.”


“What... No way,” the boy protested.


“Just Wait,” says I, and he nuzzled in to listen.


“Daybreak tossed the Wind aside and raged against his brother. The two fought, and a perpetual twilight fell on the earth. This nonday lasted for many weeks. They chased each other from side to side, bending the land in their wake.” I said as I twisted my finger around one of his gold curls, and paused. "And then what happened," asked the boy.


“Well, the span of stars arched in the heavens so they could watch the battle. The smooth and beautiful land was marred and ripped from their thunderous calamity. Puddles of water fell into the deep, and rivers and oceans seamlessly flowed. No longer does the waters fall away. Because the faster the brothers moved, the faster the Wind pushed them. Soon the horizon lost its edge, and this orb pressed in its rotation, as now the earth spins on its axes and the brothers will forever chase after the Wind.”

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You told a wonderful story dear Cherrie. You brought me in and I loved the story told in the words. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, I really enjoyed putting this down, the idea just popped in my head.
But
I.. read more

This may be a first rough draft.. but it is without doubt the first rough draft of something that could eventually be a most amazing story indeed and I do mean that.. With the exception of one or two little typos and a grammar review (both minor issues and quick to put right) this could become a best seller.. it is everything a child and many of us grown up kids look for either to read or have read to us... It is like a 21st century North American equivalent version of some great Greek myth in the making or a summat.. it is certainly very special and has ever so much potential.... Good luck with it and All Good Things... Neville

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you Neville, I am always entertained by my typos and or auto correct (which is not my friend) .. read more
Neville

4 Years Ago

a little time and at least a few more chapters then bingo... good to go..
An entertaining a nice short diversion to explain to flat earthers that things have changed lol. Some still believe it is not so.

Second line "spinning his ball restless and bored"

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Later today I hope to flesh it out alittle.
And thank you for reading this silly tale.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2019
Last Updated on August 3, 2019

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..