Death Rides A Fast Horse

Death Rides A Fast Horse

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Chief Standing Rock would be lost from the ‘Valley Of The Warriors”. He found himself once again on Could-Dancer and riding astride of him the young blue-coat he killed over twenty years before. The unnatural truth of it was he knew every man that set a charger. They were of all nationalities; the battles that had bound them in life now would bind them in death as they road on the heels of Hell.
 
The thoughts of the living are of no interest to them; conversely, those of the dying or the damned ring-out like thunder. The same swiftness that found him in this place now had him blazing west across the bad-lands. There is neither day or night for these riders. They scour the sky in perpetual twilight. It seems the sun will not shine upon their shame. Nor do they care about any past transgressions. They only seek the next rider.
___________________________
 
Day is breaking soft and slow as it does every morning. The intent of man does not affect the grace or cruelty of nature and to prove so Bart and Ben Masters are hiding by the Union-Pacific’s water-station. The train arrives every Tuesday around 7:30 AM, and so they wait.
 
Bart places his foot on the rails, and the vibrations are growing. Like a woman in travail, the tracks begin to cry. The sun finally sets on the horizon, washing the lavender sky to blue, and before one songbird can sing a morning tune, his shirt is already soaked.
 
The brothers climb up the back-side of the water-tower and watch. The streaming chimney tells them the train is close. The two have spent the entire morning in silence. They will pull this job and then as always go their separate ways. That is until one or both are broke again.
 
The train is slowing, exhaling billows of steam as water cools the rotation slowing the locomotion. The engineer and the coal burner were shot without warning. Henry, the guard, dropped this plate of eggs and ham.
 
Bart quickly unhooked the last two railroad cars while Ben set the rest of the train in motion without its engineer. This would keep any do-gooders out of the way.
 
Henry closed the north side windows and he, and his Winchester stood ready.
 
“Boy, through your gun out and step-lively, and chances are good that we’ll let you live.” Bart declared flatly. “But son, if I shed another drop of sweat in this forsaken place, you are surely dead as you stand.”
 
Ben climbed the roof-top, and as easy as you please tossed in a stick of TNT, poor Henry was dead before he got a shot off. Ben dropped in from the roof as Bart made an entrance from the newly created opening.
 
 “Howdy, brother,” Ben chirped.
 
“Howdy,” Bart snarled.
 
They each filled their saddle-bags as a faint sound could be heard in the distance. Confusion washed over them. First, it was too soon for a posse, and second, you cannot hear the thundering of horses upon the shifting sand, but without fail, they each took to foot, mounted their horses, and rode. One broke left and the other right.
 
Bart rode his mare at a gallop for a full twenty minutes. She was utterly lathered and ready to break when he finally stopped at the great rock. He busted out in a full robust laugh as he decided a sand-storm was chasing him. He hobbled his horse grabbed a bottle of Mescal, and hunkered down to let the west wind pass.
 
Ben, on the other hand, could not shake the thundering steeds that raced upon him. Without mercy, they rode, and without reason, they continued to gain. In their wake, a cloud of dust arose filling the canyon. They never close enough for a visual, though a fleeting glimpse of them haunted his thoughts. 
 
Just one horse rode lead, and the sound of his four hoofs pounded in Ben’s ears. Soon it seemed as if the harsh pounding of hoof hammered upon his heart. He knew he needed to ease up on his horse, but this ride only ended in death, and he pressed the stallion all the harder until they both crashed upon the ground. Stone and his wrist collide, shattering his gun-hand. Jake, his horse, somersaulted from port to stern in a fury of red he landed on all-fours and never broke stride. Ben’s head was throbbing with every surge of the approaching rider. In his right hand, he made ready his blade. It would not be said that a Masters’ went down easy, but Ben Master’s did anything but that. The grey steed was now close enough to see, and the face of Death was bearing down on Ben.
 
Every sin he ever committed flashed before his eyes; the burning judgment of the innocent set flame to his flesh and their cries attached to his memories like stinging hornets. Hades, Death’s steed bite off his knife wheeling hand. His bones feel to the earth below, white-washed and still. While in an instant, he sat old Jake once again with purpose of heart. Hell chased Bart Masters, and Ben followed.



© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This so good dear Cherrie. I liked the character interaction and the story is adding some history. A good story add some history to make the characters better. You did. Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 19, 2019
Last Updated on November 23, 2019


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing