Wish you were here

Wish you were here

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer

Here in the dark, I write to you.
It is 4:41 in the morning
on the 11th day
of the Eighth month
in the year 2022.
You would have been 98 tomorrow.
You have been gone from me 43 years.
I miss you now as I missed you then.
Only my execution of grief
is now honed and quietly observed.
Not wishing to share it with strangers.
I am now older than you were on the day of your passing,
and wish to tell you so many things.
I wish I had known you as an adult.
However, with that said
it was my tender view of you that shaped me,
pushed me,
and
compelled me
to care for my family.
Your iron words fueled me
and your tender ways guided me
long after you were gone from me.
Now, those echoes comfort me.
I miss you
And wish you
were
here.

© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

touching and sad
++++++++++++++

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

:) thank you so much.
We try to be like our mentors dear Cherrie.
"I miss you
And wish you
were
here"
I understand the above lines. Now I am a old man and I try to be like my grandparent. Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Yes, I seem to be a blending of those I adored and wonder who I would have been without them.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

We do dear Cherrie. It is a honor to become like my grandfather.
To a loved one a soulful sentiment missing u poem wonderfully expressed. Kudos for this muse to your beloved.


Plz also read and comment on any of my two newest poems as per your preference.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you and I will be returning the visit very soon.
I can understand this piece, Emotional read here.
Nicely expressed

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

It's great to see you back at 🙂 can't wait to return the visit
Excellent Cherrie - clearly a really special person in yr life, though I am left wondering who exactly ? Maybe though that is the point, keeping their identity mysterious.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Tony. I wrote this for my dad.
red93

1 Year Ago

✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️
The fuel for each day is important and even essential specially when we have arrived at an age and condition wherein those that came before us have also gone on ahead of us, chief being our parents and grandparents, people who invested in us and speak into our lives still even after their demise. Thanks kindly for sharing Cherrie. It was my birthday a couple of days ago and much of it was spent on rehearsing memories and past conversations and interactions with those now gone. Gratefully, Freds.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

I committed on this last week. I hate it didn't save. Thank you for reading and sharing a piece of .. read more
A beautiful elegy for all the loved ones lost. A parent, grandparent, mentor, you have captured so spot on the life long twinge of sadness we carry with us whenever our thoughts turn to those who went before us.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Ken
And yes every single person will carry this feeling. There is no way around it.. read more
Wow! You're grief is safe with us since we poets are not strangers. When I saw the title I thought about the Pink Floyd song, then as I read quickly heard your song instead. A tender view of you, as you share your view that you found a way to write so tenderly. That's how this poem felt, tender. Touching. And the execution of grief is some powerful stuff!! Well honed words Cherrie.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Bill this came from a tender place.
Dearest Cherrie,
There is not a day that goes by when I do not think of my parents or the parents of my husband, and wish they were here so I could share things with them.
I cried reading your words and my heart goes out to you.
Lisa, now in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Yes me too. I miss both my parents and my husband's parents. We talk about them almost everyday.
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

We do too... As a child i really hoped they would find a way to go back in time...now would that not.. read more
I understand this piece very well. I share a deep empathy with the author. My dad passed away before my first child was born, the same year as a matter of fact. He passed in June and she was born in late November. She's now grown with three kids of her own but never got to meet her grandfather. Dad fought in WWII, my grandfather in WWI and my great-grandfather in the Civil War. My brother fought in Vietnam. It seems war has loosely defined our family lineage, sad but true. Both my parents have been gone quite awhile. I think of them with love and hold them tenderly in my memories. I enjoyed the read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Mankind will probably never learn. God bless those in stand in the gap.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

I agree that governments use their military as pawns.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 11, 2022
Last Updated on August 16, 2022

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The wild never The wild never

A Poem by Eilis