Shadows Fall

Shadows Fall

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer
"

Ghazal 5 couplets. The first ending in the same phrase. And the second line there after repeats it.

"
Under the oak so old, shadows form

on the darkened lea, shadows form.

 

 The babbling brook smoothly sings.

Sloping sun, lets the shadows form.

 

The book now closed, the day is gone.

And with sleepy mind shadows form.

 

Beneath twinkling stars, a light bows low.

And from that light, these shadows form.

---Cherrie---

 

© 2023 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

well done .. great closing line says i! no shadows where it not for the light .. love it. .. i have missed being here at the Café' .. so glad to stop and read your stuff.
E.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

Well hello stranger it's great to hear from you and glad to have you back.
Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

nice to be back .. as intermittent as i have been .. enjoyed the read :)

I find this poem to be a contemplative and evocative exploration of the interplay between light and shadow, nature's elements, and the passage of time.

Your imagery and language used creates a sense of beauty and tranquility while inviting the reader to reflect on deeper meanings.

The opening lines set the stage under an old oak tree, where shadows begin to take shape.

The repetition of "shadows form" emphasizes the gradual emergence of these elusive and transient entities.

This imagery suggests a metaphorical representation of the complexities and uncertainties of life, where shadows symbolize the hidden aspects and uncertainties that surround us.

The babbling brook, described as singing smoothly, introduces a sense of serenity and natural harmony. The flowing water becomes a metaphorical thread connecting the various elements of the poem. The "sloping sun" suggests the sun's descent, casting longer shadows and contributing to the ambiance of transition and change.

The line "The book now closed, the day is gone" signals the end of a chapter or phase. It implies a sense of closure and reflection as the day comes to a close. The "sleepy mind" evokes a state of introspection, perhaps suggesting a quiet contemplation of the shadows that have formed throughout the day.

The image of twinkling stars and a bowing light adds a touch of celestial beauty to the poem. The light's gesture of bowing low creates a sense of reverence and humility. From this light, the shadows form, suggesting that even in the presence of illumination, shadows persist, symbolizing the coexistence of light and darkness, knowledge and mystery.

Overall, this poem captures the essence of fleeting moments and the cyclical nature of life. It invites the reader to appreciate the nuances of light and shadow, the passage of time, and the profound beauty found in nature's elements. The poem's brevity and economy of language create a sense of simplicity and clarity, allowing the reader to immerse themselves in the tranquil atmosphere it evokes. It brought tears to my eyes in its simplicity but deep complexity. A lullaby.



Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

Your review is beautiful and very generous, thank you 😊
Interesting form, and your words create a nicely mystical atmosphere that allowed my thoughts to wander into those shadows.

Andrew2401

Posted 11 Months Ago


Lovely use of repetition Cherrie, so clever how you say so much in a few words. Excellent ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 11 Months Ago


This is quite an interesting form Cherrie, I definitely like the repetition of the phrase "Shadows form" it definitely puts emphasis on it! Thanks for sharing Cherrie, it's definitely an interesting piece!

Posted 11 Months Ago


So light yet profound. So gossamer and visual. This is the type of poem I adore.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

Thank you Ken. I always enjoy writing these. ✍️ and I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.
Hi Cherrie,
Went back to this poem of yours...which I did so enjoy last week...to reread how it was composed..
Lisa, visiting Valencia Zoo

Posted 11 Months Ago


I love shadows and how they seem to dance and follow you wherever you go....your repetition of the word shadow in different settings as you portray it is stunning....as the sun moves, so do the shadows, as the moon moves, so do the shadows....it's really quite a wonder of nature... love it! very imaginative...
Best, B

Posted 11 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

I saw a artist collection of the same tree in a park. She painted it at different seasons and times .. read more
Betty Hermelee

11 Months Ago

Yes a tree would definitely change its shadows (moods) at different times of the day....something ne.. read more
Well, first of all I love structure and I have never heard of this one until now... I just love it.
This one has no particular syllable count...
And, the subject matter is so interesting...
Your poem moved so smoothly...

Lisa

Posted 11 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

Traditionally it is a song 🎵. But mine never turn out that way. I can't wait to see yours.
Lisasview

11 Months Ago

Oh a song... I love it...
I wish there were more hours in the day.
I only really want.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

It's done in couplets. At least 5. The first most end in the same word or phrase.
Each coupl.. read more
dear Cherrie … firstly… I love your Arabic form and soft verses… that gives us a calmness to face each day with renewed Courage. gently, Pat

Posted 11 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

559 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 1, 2023
Last Updated on June 1, 2023

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA