The Blue Western Vintage Flyer

The Blue Western Vintage Flyer

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

I have to write a stroy with a moral about a boy and a bike

"

Bill and Sammie came ripping through the front door of the Western Auto; past the seeds and garden tools, around the 7-Dust and just on the other side of the tillers was Mr. Simmons looking at a lawn mower, which the duo almost ran over. He gave them a stern look as he pushed back his straw hat and  then gave them a wink. Just to the left of the mower was Bill’s bike. Well it will be his as soon as he saves 32 more dollars.

“Hey Bubba, this bike is pretty oh how it shines, I can even see myself when I look close.” Sammie said, with big blue blinking eyes.

“I’ll have you know that the Blue Western Vintage Flyer is not pretty, it is the most elite trend in transportation fully equipped with 3 gears and a book mount over the rear tire.”  Bill spouted with his upper lip turned slightly under. Sammie giggled slightly because she had seen their dad make that same face many times.

Mr. Tanner’s building had a large clock on the back wall. This told them if they started running right now they would not be late for first hour. So the wild whirlwind of youth once again made a quick exit from the Western Auto.

With each passing minute Bill’s mind raced up and down the creek trying to rustle up the remaining balance of $32.00.  He had plenty of after school jobs but they only paid every-other week and now that he was so close, he couldn’t wait another minute.

“The Riley’s Farm!” He stated with excitement in the middle of social studies.  Mrs. Walkup peered over her glasses, but never spoke a word. So the plan was set in his mind the moment Sammie got on the school bus he would inform her that she would go straight home and he was going to see Mr. Riley.

The boy wasted no time he walked straight to the barn because everyone knows to find a farmer or rancher you must start at the barn.

“Billie Barr, what brings you out here?”

“Well sir I was wondering, a hoping you needed some help around the place. I’m really good with horses”. The nine year old said.

“So just how much help were you hoping to do Mr. Barr?” The man said with a half-smile.

“As much work as I can for $32.00.” Bill’s statement was firm and delivered with resolve. He had placed his fists on his hips and between his expression and hand gestures it was all Ted Riley could do not to laugh.

Once the details were settled of the; who, what when and where and of course how many times. Bill began mucking out the horse stalls but not before Lilly brought him a slice of fresh baked bread with gooseberry jam on it.  “Billie it will be nice to have a kid around the place again,” she said with a smile.

It took Bill the next two hours to clean out four horse stalls and then repack them with fresh bedding, hay and water, but our little Bill got it done. Mr. Riley patted the boy on the back and said, “Come on lad and I’ll give you a ride home.”

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow after school Mr. Riley.” However before the truck came to a stop Bill flew from his seat like a streak of lightning, he couldn’t wait to tell his mother he had saved up the $98.00. Ted and Bill’s dad William were old friends the two men stood over the bed of that old green ford and shot the breeze.

William’s wife Marry yelled for him from the kitchen door. “Telephone Dear it’s long-distance.”

The two men said their goodbyes and William received some very bad news. Both kids were peeking around the corner of the hallway as William hung-up the phone.  “Mary, pack a bag we have to take the kids to your mother’s. My sister was in a bad wreck and we have to go to St. Louis and I’m not sure for how long.

“Honey, where will we stay once we get there, I only have $15.00 in the cookie jar.”

“I don’t know, but I don’t have time to worry about that now.”

Bill stood up tall and straight and pinned backed his shoulders he walked up to his father took him by the hand and handed him his bike money. Then he smiled the biggest smile he ever made. It was not a funny smile or a Christmas morning smile, but the smile of giving. His dad hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 

For the first time in his life he knew what it meant when Ms. Sarah his Sunday School teacher taught them, ‘it is better to give than to receive.’

 A month later then the family was together once again. Mr. Riley came to call, “Bill, that was a mighty fine thing you did I sure was proud of you when your dad told me about it. If you want to come back over to my place I’ll help you work for that bike but in the mean time I ’de like you to meet a friend of mine and keep him for me if you’d like.”

As Bill walked up to the kitchen door there was a magnificent animal standing before him, a two year old colt 14 hands with a smoky grey coat. “Is he mine!” Bill yelled.

“That he is.” Ted said with a smile. “Bill I ‘de like you to meet Smoky.”

Bill never did buy that bike but after that day in the kitchen with his dad he never really wanted it any more.

© 2012 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

good to warm the heart with all the charm of farm life.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A sweet ending that might have missed the mark in the hands of a less skilled storyteller. This really got to me. Wow, way to go!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The 4th paragraph seems a little abrupt, make a smoother transition. I like the moral and the characters.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


seein' how you had to do it, this 'll get you off the hook, i think...nice little flyer, Cherrie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good family story. It's got a good beginning/middle/end although the characters and location could use a bit more fleshing out, not much though.
I think all the piece needs is a dash of salt, a pinch of pepper, a sprinkling of basil.... touches of seasoning here and there.
The characters are strong, the plot straight and the moral true, you couldn't ask for better framework. Nice job.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on April 5, 2012
Tags: children_fiction

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing
Will Will

A Story by Cherrie Palmer



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Clean Clean

A Poem by LJW


 Land Ho Land Ho

A Poem by LJW





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5