The Day Goes On

The Day Goes On

A Story by ChibiKong

Ryuk, a young boy of eighteen with dark-blond hair and blue eyes, sat in a Chinese restaurant with his girlfriend, Miyuki. She had short black hair and bright green eyes. They met when they were Freshmen in high school, and never parted from that day on. Ryuk was planning on marrying her some day soon. They had finished their meals as they received their fortune cookies. “Your life is in danger. Say nothing to anyone. You must leave the city immediately and never return. Repeat: say nothing…” Ryuk read his fortune out loud. Miyuki looked over at him

“What?” she said, wondering if he was joking.

“I'm serious, that's what it says,” Ryuk replied.

“What a weird thing to put in a fortune cookie,” she concluded.

They left the restaurant, laughing off the fortune cookie’s warning as nothing more than a childish joke. The message still echoed in the back of his head. The couple sat on a set of swings near a road. Miyuki held a little black cat on her lap as she swang.

“Hey Miyuki,” Ryuk said, grabbing on to Mitsuki's swing chains.

“Yes?” she replied. Ryuk’s reply was drowned out by a loud bang in the distance. The earth-breaking noise startled the small cat, and it leaped off Miyuki’s lap. Miyuki frantically chased after the cat as it headed for the street . She ran into the street, bending over to pick it up. But as she straightened up, a bus crashed into her.  Blood was everywhere. On the bus, on the street, on cars parked on the side of the road. Miyuki’s blood splattered on Ryuk’s face. People started clearing out the bus. The bus driver frantically called 911. Children cried. Women screamed. Everyone was in a commotion except Ryuk. Ryuk was too stunned to cry, to scream, or to show any kind of emotional response. He just stood there and stared at his girlfriend's crushed corpse. You could barely make out her face; it was manned to make out any distinct fractures. The cat, shockingly, was unhurt, not even a scratch. It did the typical cat-walk around Ryuk’s feet.

Ryuk walked home, with the same shocked expression on his face the whole way. He reached his apartment and opened the door to his room. Ryuk curled up on his bed. He couldn't close his eyes. Every time he did, Miyuki’s lifeless body came to his mind.

It’s all my fault, Ryuk thought to himself, If only I had grabbed her soon enough, she would be here. Ryuk’s eyes filled with tears. They flowed out in streams, dampening his blanket.

I wish she was back. I wish she was back. I wish she was back, he thought.

“I want her back!” Ryuk cried, letting all his emotions out at once. He cried himself to sleep.

Ryuk woke up to his phone ringing. He didn't want to answer after what had happened yesterday. It took all the strength he had left to answer his phone.

“Hello,” he muttered.

“Ryuk, where are you?” Miyuki’s voice was on the other end. Ryuk’s head popped up off his pillow.

“What?” was the only thing he could manage to say

“I'm at the restaurant waiting for you,” she replied, sounding happy as ever.

“I’m- I’m on my way,” he replied.

Ryuk ran to the restaurant as fast as he could. He opened the restaurant's door, and there sat Miyuki. Alive. Not one scratch on her. She smiled and waved to him. He took his seat. They ate and had a wonderful conversation. At the end of the meal, they got their fortune cookies. Ryuk was hesitant to open his, but he did. It read: “Life is short; live it well.” They left the restaurant and went to the same swings as yesterday. The same crashing sound transpired, but this time, Ryuk stopped her from saving the cat. Miyuki screamed as the bus went over the cat.

“I'm sorry, but now you are safe,” Ryuk said, holding her tight. Miyuki smiled at him

“Thank you,” she replied, turning around and granting him a kiss.They walked down the road towards Miyuki’s home. Ryuk was happy. He felt as though the gods had given him another chance to be with his love, but he was wrong.

They walked by an old apartment building. They were lifting an old tv through the window. Miyuki walked under it right as the cord snapped. The tv crashed onto her, and once again children cried and women screamed. Blood had splattered up his arm this time. All he could do was stare. This had to have been some kind of bad dream. He would wake up soon in his bed, but that didn't happen. He made his way home once more. He lay on his couch, not wanting to return to his room. Soon, he fell asleep.

Once again, Ryuk woke up in his bed to the sound of his phone. Miyuki’s voice was on the other end.

“No, get out of the restaurant!” Ryuk got up in a panic.

“What?” she replied, confusion in her voice.

“I'll be there in a minute,” he said, as he ran down the apartment stars. He found Miyuki and grabbed her hand and ran with her.

“What are you doing?” Miyuki said in a panic-filled voice. They ran up a set of steps. Ryuk’s hand slipped off Miyuki’s. He turned to see that Miyuki had fallen down thirteen feet of stairs. She lay at the bottom of the steps. Once again, children cried and women were scared. There wasn't that much blood this time, just what flowed from her nose and mouth.

This time, Ryuk wasn't going to sleep. If he stayed awake, tomorrow had to come. Ryuk sat there in his room until the sun had risen. He was just about to head out for the day when, sometime around the same time as yesterday, his phone rang. It was Miyuki calling him, saying she was waiting for him. Ryuk went to the restaurant. They ate their meals. Ryuk didn't even open his fortune this time. They sat on the swing, and the crashing sound recurred. The cat ran, and so did Miyuki. Ryuk didn't have a choice. He grabbed Miyuki and pushed her to the ground. Ryuk ran out into the street after the cat as the bus crashed into him. Miyuki let out a scream. Tears flowed down her face. Ryuk was gone, and he had saved her. It was her fault.

The next morning, she woke up and was about to go about her day when she received a call from Ryuk.

The End

© 2014 ChibiKong


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on May 29, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014

Author

ChibiKong
ChibiKong

Alliance, OH



About
I like to write, but im a bad speller so pleas forgive me if i miss spell things :'( more..

Writing
The Barkers The Barkers

A Story by ChibiKong