Prologue and Chapter 1

Prologue and Chapter 1

A Chapter by ChikHaley64

Prologue

The Year 1797

            The sun was almost set now. The trees began to blend in with the night and the wildlife began to disappear into their homes. They knew what was coming. Two worlds which had been so close, yet separated for all of these years, were about to collide and set into motion the longest and most adverse journey the Protectors will have seen in a thousand years.

            “My dearest Gloria, something is changing here in Aurelia. I can feel it. The sun doesn’t set the way it used to. The night comes too fast, as if the sun is trying to escape the creatures of the darkness.”  The elderly man looked at his wife for consultation. With her long hair braided down to her waist and her dark grey eyes, she looked ready to stand by him through whatever trials they were about to face. The old man knew this was not going to be enough to stand against whatever evil was brewing in the darkness outside of his kingdom, Aurelia.

            “Roland, you know what you must do. There is no other choice.” Roland felt his wife’s hand land softly on his shoulder. He bowed his head and tried to beg forgiveness for what he was about to do. He ran his hands through his thick brown hair, trying to brace himself for the tragic story that was about to unfold at the mercy of his hands.

“Come, my dear. If we have decided on this, we shall make quickly with our decision.” He slowly stood to his feet and made his way to the door. He stopped as his wife tugged at his hand. She was so small and petite compared to him. Her hands fit like a child’s inside his palm. He loved her so.

“Please, if you do not want to do this, we won’t. We will find another way.” Her eyes began to fill with tears. Gloria had never liked the idea of the Protectors. She fell in love with each one of them as if they were her own children. In a way, they were.

“We have no other choice. I shall see to it that the plan is set in motion tonight. We never know just how much time we have before evil decides to strike.” Roland kissed his wife’s hand and walked out of their bedroom and down the stairs into the spell room. As he cascaded down the stairs, the smell of lingering magic and spell books filled his nose.

 As he opened the door into the dark spacious room, he realized he had not stepped foot in this room since the earliest of time itself. Visions of training and teaching of the first Protectors came flooding back into his mind and he felt a wave of sadness wash over him. He was now going to try to replace some of the most amazing kids to ever walk this earth, with another group of kids who will come to share the same purpose. He did not know how their story would end; he only knew that their story now needed to begin.

Roland walked to the metal bookshelf, which held in it the most powerful book any human being could ever lay eyes on, and unlocked it for the first time in a thousand years. The years of dust floated off the pages as he searched for the one thing he believed could save Aurelia. The pages creaked and cracked but never tore. The books was as old as time and never once had it ripped. A great sorcerer created the book for times of trouble and hardship. The spells in the book only worked if the world was truly in danger.

As Roland sat the book on the podium in the middle of the room, he began to feel pressure rising in his chest. He was skeptical of what he was doing. Many people had lost their lives the last time this book was opened. Any lives lost after he cast this spell, were now on his shoulders. What else could he do? There was no other way. The Gods trusted Roland to keep Aurelia safe with the magic they bestowed within him.

He snapped his fingers and the candles placed in a circle around the room were lit. Roland took a deep breath and began to read the words from the page and tears slipped from his eyes.


 

Chapter One
Present Day

Have you ever had one of those dreams where you know it is a dream but you just can’t seem to contain your movements or feelings? It is almost like there is someone controlling your mind and body. I dreamt I was running down a strange road in the rain. I didn’t know why and I couldn’t explain the fear I felt in my heart. My blood was pumping hard and my breath was ragged. I could feel someone chasing me, but I didn’t know who. I could feel that my life was being threatened, but I didn’t know how. I tried to wake myself up, but failed. My head was pounding and I could feel pain in my legs from running a long distance. I finally came to a stop by a river. I heard footsteps behind me through the fog and jumped into the water to avoid the danger I could not see.

The water was cold as ice. I knew I couldn’t hold my breath for long. I just needed to hold my breath long enough to let my attacker run past me. Ten seconds later, I saw a figure through the water, running alongside the river. A boy about my age, with dark brown hair and a fit figure, was searching frantically for someone. Something told me, I was the one he was looking for. My lungs burned like a fire in my chest. I couldn’t hold my breath any longer and my body would not allow me to stay under water anymore. I popped out of the river gasping for air. The boy looked at me with horror in his eyes.

“Carter.” I heard my brother’s voice. For a moment I was dazed. I was dry and in my bed instead of wet and hiding in a river. I sat up fast and my little brother flinched. He probably thought I was going to hit him for waking me up, when really I was thankful to be pulled out of that dream.

“What is it Eli?” I rubbed my eyes and tried to focus in on his face. It was a beautiful morning and the sun was shining bright. It was going to be a good first day of my junior year of high school. Last year was horrible and I couldn’t wait to make this year better. I was a new person. I had made a lot of changes in my appearance over the summer. My hair was dyed a dark chocolate brown, my braces were off, I had gotten contacts so I wouldn’t have to wear my confound glasses, and I just felt happier. I felt prettier.

“Are you going to get ready for school?” I looked at the clock. It was only 6:15. I guess Eli was really excited to start his first year of high school.

“Yea, I’m getting up. Is mom cooking breakfast?” I asked as I crawled slowly out of bed. The only bad thing about school had to be waking up early. I guess homework could be a downer sometimes too. Unlike every other teenager in the world, I generally liked school. I liked to learn and discover new things.

As I stood, I felt the soreness in my legs that I had felt in my dream. I was suddenly drained of any energy I had and collapsed back onto my bed. Eli stared at me with worry and curiosity in his eyes.

“Are you having the dreams again?” he closed the door behind him and sat in the chair across the room.

“I didn’t have any all summer. This was probably just an ordinary nightmare. There is nothing to be worried about. I promise. Just don’t mention it to mom. She will just worry.” I gave him a faint smile and waved him on to go get ready for school.

 This was not the first time a dream had left me completely drained like this. I slowly walked down the hallway to the bathroom, which Eli and I shared, and looked at my reflection. Dark circles had begun to grow under my eyes. The dreams woke me early in the morning and they made it hard for me to go back to sleep. I felt bad about lying to my brother but, the truth was the dreams had never stopped.

They were actually getting worse. They were becoming clearer and more real. In most of them, I was somewhere in the past. Honestly, they felt more like memories.

*                          *                             *

 

 

            I walked downstairs to find the kitchen smelling of something similar to burnt toast. My mom is no master chef. She will admit it freely to anyone, but she tries her best to be our “gingerbread” mom.

            “I was trying to make French toast. It didn’t turn out quite right. I got a little distracted.” I smiled at her and walked over to the cabinet to grab a bag of trail mix to eat on the way to school.

            “It’s okay mom. We can get our own breakfast today.” I went to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of apple juice.

            “It is your first day of junior year and Elijah’s first day of high school. I wanted your days to go perfectly!” I hugged her and started gathering the dirty dishes.

            “So far the day is going perfectly, mom. We will see you later okay?” I grabbed my purse from the counter and walked to the bottom of the staircase. “Eli! Come on! I really don’t want to be late on the first day.”

            “Have a good day Valerie. I love you!” My mom was the only person who ever called my brother and me by our full first names. I went by my middle name, Carter, and Elijah went by Eli. We waved goodbye and walked outside to the mustang. As we got in I did the routine mirror check. Meaning I checked to make sure my chocolate brown hair was holding its wave and my blue eyes still had eyeliner perfectly layered around them to make them pop. Last year I didn’t care what people thought of me or how I dressed. If I had it my way I would go to school in sweatpants with a high bun on top of my head.

            Although this year would be different, last year was terrible. I was bullied because I had braces and I didn’t wear designer clothes. After I got my braces off over the summer I decided to change my appearance so when I went back to school I could be a different person. I wanted to have a lot of friends and I wanted to stand out this year. I didn’t want to be just another student that passed through the hallways.

            “Carter, stop checking your hair. Let’s go.” Eli was never excited about going to school, but more excited really about getting it over with.

            “You ready to get this year started?” I smiled and started backing out of the driveway.

            “Are you? How do you know your dreams aren’t coming back? I really think we should tell mom. What if..” I slammed the breaks at the stop sign and looked my brother straight in the eye.

            “Don’t bring it up Eli. It won’t happen again. I won’t let it.” I turned right and drove toward the school. The rest of the ride was quiet. I knew he was worried that I was going to have another “episode”.

            For Christmas we went to visit my grandma and one of my dreams hit me and I started sleep walking. Only, I was doing more than walking. Eli said it was almost as if I were awake but unaware of what I was doing. He said he woke up and saw me sitting in the window seat across the room. Eli had crossed over to me and asked if I were alright, I answered him in a ghost like voice and said “It is coming. We are all in danger.” He went to touch my shoulder and I turned quickly on him with a ball of fire in my hand. My mom thought Eli and I were both delusional. Eli had just woken up and it was the middle of the night. We could have easily been mistaken. Who would make a mistake like that?

            Eli didn’t let what happened that night affect him. He went to counseling with me and ever since he has been there for me every step of the way. He believes there is something more going on; something supernatural and out of this world. I always tell him he is crazy.

            We pulled into the school parking lot and I took a deep breath. Eli was never nervous about these sort of things. He was very outgoing and an all-around people person. I, on the other hand, sent people running. I had to be different today. My goal was to find a best friend. I had a lot of friends when I was little, but we all went separate ways. I needed someone I could trust and confide in.

            “See you later Carter. Text me if you need me. Don’t let anything get to you today.” Eli got out of the car and ran over to his friend Chris.

            I said a silent prayer and got out of the car. I walked to the front doors and as I was walking up the steps a girl walking behind me dropped her bag and all of her stuff fell out. I hurried over to her and started helping her gather her things.

            “Thank you so much. I am such a klutz.” We both stood up and I was stunned at how pretty she was. Her appearance was capturing and elegant. Her dark hair fell straight to her waist and her green eyes shined with extreme brightness.  She was a few inches shorter than me and her smile was infectious.

            “No big deal.” I handed her notebook back to her and smiled politely. “So are you new? I don’t think I have seen you around.”

            “Yeah, we just moved here a week ago. My mom got a new job opportunity that she couldn’t turn down.” She smiled and looked down at her shoes.

            “Do you need me to show you to the office so you can get your schedule?” I gestured toward the front doors.

            “No I actually already got my schedule. I just need help figuring out where each room is.” She smiled sweetly and tilted her head slightly to the side.

            “I think I can help with that.” I smiled and gave a soft laugh. Maybe finding a friend wouldn’t be so hard after all. “I’m sorry! My name is Carter Sandusky. You?”

            “I’m Abigail. But I like to go by Abby.” She smiled and we made our way to the front doors. We had our first period together, English III.

            “So, where are you from?” She dressed very classy but casual. She had a certain professionalism about her that no one in this town had.

            “New York.” We came to a stop at her locker, which was only three spaces down from mine, and she started to unload notebooks from her bag.

            “Wow. I have never been to New York but I have always wanted to go. All the pictures I have seen are absolutely beautiful.” I closed my locker and lead the way to first period.

            “Beautiful you say? Even with all of the criminals running around?” We laughed as we walked into first period and found our seats at the back of the room. Mrs. Tuttle was our English teacher. She wore baggy clothes and had the hugest birthmark running down her neck. The pattern looked like an intricately drawn design along her skin, but that was just to me. It was absolutely disgusting to anyone else.

            As she walked into the classroom and took her seat she looked up directly at me. For a moment, I thought I saw a hint of red within her eyes. Then, everything went black.

            I was hanging off the side of a tall building with an immense amount of lights. I was confused and jolted by my surroundings. There was blood running down my arm from a cut on my hand. There was someone standing above me on top of the building, but I couldn’t see their face. All I saw were a pair of bright red eyes staring down at me.

            “Take my hand.” His eyes were bright with death, but full of guilt and despair. I reluctantly took his hand and he pulled me onto the roof top. He had pushed me off the building. I didn’t remember it, but somewhere told me I knew what had happened.  We sat there in silence, aware of each other’s heavy breathing.

            “Why did you do it? Why did you try to kill me?” I tried to stand but there was a severe pain in my right ankle.

            “I have no choice. I have to eventually. It is the only way to keep you safe.” He ran his hands through his thick dark hair and stood.

            “How does trying to kill me keep me safe? That makes zero sense. And why save me? Make up your mind. Either kill me or let me go.” I finally managed to stand as he made his way over to me.

            “I couldn’t do it. It gets harder every time.” He put his arms around my waist and held me close. I had no idea who he was, or what he wanted from me, but he seemed to know me very well.

            “What are you talking about? I know this is a dream, but it is a weird one at that.” He looked at me with bewildered eyes.

            “You don’t know who I am?” He touched my cheek with his hand and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

            “No. I am sorry.” I had tears in my eyes, but I didn’t understand why. I felt very close to him, yet I never met him. Sometimes the dreams would seem real, but not this real.

            “Times up.” Tears started to build up in his eyes. He leaned in and kissed the top of my head sweetly. Then the pain hit me. A stab to the stomach. He had killed me.

 

            “Carter? Carter, are you okay?” I opened my eyes to find Abby and Eli staring down at me. I was on the floor in the middle of the classroom. The pain in my stomach was faintly present, but fading. I sat up and looked around in amazement. Something was terribly wrong with me.

            “I’m fine. I think I need to go home.” Eli took my hand and pulled me up from the floor. Abby and Eli followed me to the office to call my mom.

            “Carter. What happened? You screamed.” Eli stopped me on the way to the office. I stood there speechless.

            “I……screamed?” The pain of the stab wound had still been there when I came to. Is it possible that I screamed in agony?

            “Yes. It was a painful scream.” Abby touched my shoulder and I jumped.

            “I don’t know what is going on, but it has been going on for a long time. This has happened before where I black out and collapse at random times. This time was different though. I still felt the pain when I woke up.”  Eli started pacing back and forth.

            “There is no hiding this from mom now. We have to tell her that you had another dream last night.” I had told them they stopped over the summer, and that was a lie.

            “No Eli. We have to just tell her that I was dehydrated or something. Mom has too much to worry about. I will just go home and rest and everything will be fine tomorrow.” I started to walk towards my locker when I realized I left my things in Mrs. Tuttle’s room.

            “I have to go back, I forgot my stuff.” When I turned around it was just Eli standing there. “Where did Abby go?” Eli looked around confused.

            “I don’t know. She said she would be right back.” After getting my things from Mrs. Tuttle’s room, I found Abby waiting beside my car.

            “Where did you go?” I pulled out my keys to unlock the mustang.

            “I called my mom and told her a friend of mine was having a rough day so I was going to make sure she got home safe. Eli told me your mom was working late today and he has to go to his friend’s house for band practice. So I offered to make sure you got home okay.” The girl had known me for a couple of hours and was already acting like a best friend.

            “That actually sounds awesome.” I unlocked the car and we both got in.

            “Maybe you can explain to me what exactly happened in there too?” She looked at me more seriously than she had all day.

            “Okay, but I’m warning you. It is a little crazy.” I started the car and pulled out of the school parking lot.

            “Don’t worry. I’m good at dealing with crazy.” She smiled sweetly and pulled out her phone. I know Eli didn't like the idea of telling people about my dreams, but I felt like there was more meaning behind them. I was ready to get to the bottom of all of this, and I was going to need help.



© 2013 ChikHaley64


Author's Note

ChikHaley64
Please leave comments! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting. I can't wait to read more. :) although I do dislike how the two chapters are out together, I have to say I like them both.

Posted 10 Years Ago


So I'm not sure about this Abby girl. Is she trustworthy? And was it a coincidence that she bumped into Carter? The dreams seem to be getting more and more real. I wonder if the man with the book from the Prologue is going to appear?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ChikHaley64

10 Years Ago

Only time will tell ;)
As usual, you're story had a great, hook, and I can't wait for the next part! Make sure to send me a request ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ChikHaley64

10 Years Ago

Thank you! XD
Calibaster

10 Years Ago

you're welcome! ;)
The prologue/chapter was beautiful!! It was filled with mystery and wonder of what was going to happen next!
Keep up the amazing work~ ^-^

Posted 10 Years Ago


ChikHaley64

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading! :)
PokemonFan#1

10 Years Ago

You're welcome~
I adored this chapter, so good, you did a fantastic job. Keep writing let the world see your talent.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ChikHaley64

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. That means the world to me!
You certainly maintained the style throughout the piece. Your rhythm is impeccable.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ChikHaley64

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Please tell your friends about my writing! I am really trying to get my name out .. read more
SquinklaPsyOps

10 Years Ago

You can count on it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

871 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2013
Last Updated on August 22, 2013


Author

ChikHaley64
ChikHaley64

Durant, OK



About
The name is Haley! :) Currently in college! My goal is to make a difference in the world! I love to write, sing, read, play piano... live life really. Recently just got into making YouTube videos! Ple.. more..

Writing