My Shield Will I Lift Up

My Shield Will I Lift Up

A Poem by Chris Taylor

My Shield Will I Lift Up

 

a poem by Chris T.

 

 

The money-changer’s hand comes to snatch my coin

But my shield will I lift up.

The flaming arrows seek to destroy

But my shield is God Most High.

 

A rock was placed to watch me stumble

But my shield I throw aloft.

I keep my heart faithful and humble

For my shield is free from rot.

 

The valley is dark and the path is narrow

And my shield is my defense.

Thieves they come to seek my marrow

But my shield is quite immense.

 

When one step further is one too much

My shield blocks the fray.

When to my chest my faith I clutch

my shield knows the way.

 

So onward and upward to battle I come

Bringing my shield to peril’s door

Having no fear of my enemy’s drum

I hoist the shield once more.

© 2011 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
“My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart” Psalm 7:10

This week I began to think upon the concept of faith and how it relates to me and my struggle. Most theologians generally define “faith” as: a belief in something sight unseen. John Maxwell states there are 3 kinds of faith that relate to the Christian experience. They are: Faith in our God, Faith in each other and Faith in ourselves. Some of the elements of faith that I have to rely on daily are: That Jesus is the Son of God and sits at the right hand of the Father. That Jesus died for our sins; paying the cost, so we can have eternal life. That God is able to save us from each other; and ourselves. That he loves us and hears our cries(prayers). After many years of ruining my life by trying to run it myself in my sinful, disobedient way, I finally put my faith in Jesus. As I now reflect back, I began to think of my faith like a heavy Roman shield. A strong, well made shield, one that is founded in belief in Jesus, has a good weight to it and is heavy to lift. It requires a good physical effort and is not easy to hoist up. It must be so, because it has to withstand the onslaught of arrows, flaming or not, that come to a believer daily. Some days I feel like I can’t lift my shield; like the burden is too much to bear. It is in those times when I take peace in the verse Psalm 7:10. God SAVES the upright in heart! I have faith He will do that, every time I call and without fail.
Thank you God for your promises. May my faith in you increase daily

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very inspirational. Keep on penning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


awesome piece of work

Posted 12 Years Ago


boldness in our walk comes from knowingGod's word and walking in it. This poem has a great flow and a true message

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God is awesome ! well im catolic so yeah :P love this poem !:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Inspiring - more please!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very powerful and positive poem. I'm trying to keep my faith with God and Jesus, and not just in name only, but with my heart and everything that I have. A wonderful and very inspiring write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes this is a brilliant write Chris! So TRUE!! God will not fail us, God will always protect us no matter what comes our way! March on!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ahh the shield, I agree with lostboy that it isn't always easy to wield but when used properly it protects you from the things that can harm you. This was really inspiring and written very well. Thanks for posting something so close to your heart :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My first thought when i read your title was the Episcopal shield. But further reflection reveals all the Biblical references with shield in them. my definition of faith encompasses all traditions.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the shield of faith is not always easy to wield but it is ours to do with as we please..and if used correctly it performs its job well.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

928 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 20, 2011
Last Updated on September 20, 2011

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Torn Torn

A Poem by Dark Beauty


Wicked Son Wicked Son

A Poem by Thea