Oh, The Sting Of This Rusty Razor

Oh, The Sting Of This Rusty Razor

A Poem by Chris Taylor
"

This is a darker work than I usually write. It is supposed to reflect the darkness of the financial woes that the people in our country seem to be in.

"

Oh,The Sting Of This Rusty Razor

a poem by Chris T.


I feel its dragging and the pulling across my undulating face.

This tool with no leading edge, no trimming relief.

My fortune is challenged by the economy of my day

And I am left with the sting of this lone rusty razor.


Thirteen days until I receive more pay,

An eternity of pensive waiting;

Like the rush of counting each grain of sand that falls through the hour glass,

But, armed with the knowledge that it will move no faster, and have no concern of my schedule.


I’ve combed every bargain and sifted through many pages of print,

To find the gems that I still can’t afford but  still need to produce.

The sweat tumbles downs my brow as the lines deepen engraving into my forehead, more experience and a weathered look.

Succumbing to the realization that I am not really my family’s provider.


I look, I search, I gleam, anything I can, anywhere I go,

In the all-consuming effort to replenish my hardened heart with the words of a savior’s love.

Pain, misery, toil, disbelief and anguish are the bones of which I chew on ’til my next meal.

Yet, I am still the herald, the trailblazer and the burden carrier for my family and it’s condition.


So many things pull at the heart of a mans ego,

As the octopus’s arms become more difficult to remove.

Left cheek, right cheek, a strike to the gut are the little deflections,

That will come to make a chaste man, less effective and totally spent in spirit.


This morning I read about a man named Job,

All that was lost and the puss laden shard of pottery that did scrape the boils.

And as I search for more green paper to keep the wolves at bay,

I continue to use this month-old razor across the face that the almighty did design.

Oh, the sting of this rusty razor,

And the sting of this time in my life.

© 2011 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
On this poem, I would like the believers out there to suggest a verse they think fitting for this piece of work.

Please feel free to comment, subscribe, enjoy and tell others what you have read here today.
The Great Plains Poet, living proof that “the rains falls upon the just and unjust”.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The last stanza bring this piece together, the pus-laden shard with the rusty razor. I almost see the protagonist contemplating a way out as he's shaving that very morning. I feel the pain of this piece, this is a truly emotive poem if I've ever read one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well written. I liked your reference to Job. Keep on penning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting subject matter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is simply beautiful and sad at the same time. It left me to reminiss to the times that i too felt like that dreaded character from the book. Remember he was rewarded ten fold. Sometimes it lightens the pain. Amazing sir and i wish i had a verse to add.. but this seems perfect all by itself

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think this poem really speaks to our times, expressing the sense of futility and hopelessness that many people across America and around the world as well carry with them. I think it's very interesting how you use the idea of a rusty razor as a kind of symbol of the troubles everyone faces, and I think you do a great job of using imagery and metaphors.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A poem that offers strength to those who are struggling right now and I"m thinking that number is great.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is difficult to find scripture for such solace needed. But ah, Chris, I know that YOU know....so here goes. "A just man falls seven times, and rises, again." Also, "though He slay me, yet will I trust him."...Spoken by the very Job of which you write. "you are a soldier in the kingdom, endure hardness as one." to me this means that our sensitive, fragile hearts may be breaking, but we that have enlisted in this Holiest of wars...have not yet begun to fight!"...How this poem inspires me....you will never know. Thank you, my brother.
MASQUED_MUSE^^
in service of the King +

Posted 12 Years Ago


ha like this very reflective !:) love it 1:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome imagery in the truth of your words.

Though I can't imagine adding to this piece of art I will continue to read and reread in hopes that some small tidbit may come to mind.

Thank you for your inspiration in these trying times.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It hurts, by God it hurts. But just as a razor brings about a clean face, this hurting will bring about a redemption and new face for the future. Very evocative writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a shame our world is facing these days and people are trying to keep their heads above the water to make ends meet. I keep hearing it's only going to get worse before anything changes, I hope thats not true.

Awesome write.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

894 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 5, 2011
Last Updated on October 5, 2011
Tags: bad economy, hourglass, Job, misfortune, octopus, peniless, pottery shard, Rusty razors

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Torn Torn

A Poem by Dark Beauty