Chapter 3 - Two Kinds of Trouble

Chapter 3 - Two Kinds of Trouble

A Chapter by Chris
"

The story continues...

"

Chapter 3: Two kinds of trouble


The familiar electronic chirp chirp cut through the air as Derek slowly reached his arm out from under his coral colored sheets to hit the snooze button on his alarm. He sat up and rubbed his eyes until the spots circling his vision subsided.


Stretching and yawning, he swung his legs out of the bed, hoisted himself up, and shuffled out of his room to the bathroom for his morning routine of brushing his teeth and showering.


The shower was where he usually ran through the events for the day. What all he needed to do, what he wanted to do, and what he’d actually do.


Then suddenly his stomach knotted. He remembered Kat.


She was determined to finally tell Chad Cassidy about her love for him. Derek wondered how she would go about telling him. Would she simply blurt it out as her usual style of saying things or would she take a more reserved approach.


The thoughts were swirling in his mind as he stepped into the shower and let the water wash over him.

Once he made it back to his room he went over to his closet and pulled out a pair of beige cargo shorts, a thin black and white stripped t-shirt, and reached for a pair of black sandals.


He grabbed his backpack, took a quick look in the mirror to fuss with his blonde waves, and he was out the door.


Rose’s door was wide open and the sunshine cascading in from her parted curtains brought to life the colors of her room. Derek knew that meant she was already downstairs and that mom didn't fall for her act today. He descended the stairs and as soon as he hit the last step the smell of dad’s hazelnut coffee and sausage filled his nose.


He entered the kitchen to find his mom sitting at the table in her scrubs and Rose sitting across from her in a white blouse and jeans.


“Morning Derek.” She said pouring her a glass of orange juice.


“Morning.” Derek replied, “Where’s dad?” he asked.


“In the living with his face glued to that ridiculous weather man.”


“Mom, I think it’s time to face the fact that dad’s gonna leave you for him. It’s only a matter of time.” Derek said as he rubbed her shoulder.


His mom let out a sharp cackle and finished off her juice. She reached across the table and took the bowl of milk sitting in front of Rose. Derek grabbed a bowl from the dish caddy and poured a bowl of Frosted Flakes.


Rose, who was reading a rather thick book for a 12 year old, sat quietly until their dad walked in and kissed her on the forehead.


“Dad, Derek says you’re leaving mom.” She said looking unusually wide eyed.


“What?” he said looking confused.


“It was a joke about you and that weather man having an affair.” their mom said as she winked at him and smiled.


His features unhinged and he walked over to her giving her a couple kisses as he poured some coffee into his mug.


“Rose get your things together and I’ll drop you off on my way to work.” She stated giving her husband a slight tap on the rear while walking past him.


Derek groaned in disgust but his dad just laughed.


Rose grabbed her backpack and followed her mother to the door. “Katie don’t forget I’m gonna be working a little late today.” He said grabbing his keys off the counter.


“Got it. You can still pick Rose up from her rehearsal though right?”


“I’m all over it.” He replied.


Derek finished his bowl and placed it in the sink. Walking over to his mom she kissed him on the cheek and walked out the door with Rose in tow. His dad walked over to the door and watched as the girls pulled out of the driveway.


“You got any plans with Adam today?” he asked.


“None that I know of right now but we’ll probably hang out after school.”


“Okay. And how’s Katherine doing?”


“She’s fine. Same old Kat.” He said thinking of the events that were to transpire today.


“Alright, well tell her I said hello.” Derek nodded as his dad got in his car and pulled off.


He shut the door and walked into the living room where the tv was still going. The weather man was giving his daily traffic report.


“Yea, yea just shut it.” Derek mumbled as he hit the power button on the remote.


A loud knock came from the door as it swung open.


“Hello?” Kat poked her head in.


“Hey Kat I’m coming.” He walked out the door and stopped in his tracks.


Kat was wearing a form fitting white low cut t-shirt with her midsection showing, cut off jean short shorts that accentuated her already long legs, and a pair of bright red pumps. Her raven hair tossed wildly and draped around her shoulders and her makeup was simple eyeliner and red lipstick.


“Well?” she said arms extended.


“Kat you look hot! I mean it’s crazy!” he said circling her, “if I weren't gay we couldn't be friends. I think this is too much for one man to handle.”


Kat laughed as she posed like she was a model. And she certainly could've passed for one.


“So you think he’ll like it?” she asked.


“Kat, if he doesn't like it then trust me he’s gay.” Derek said opening his car door and throwing his backpack in the backseat. Kat smiled and got in the car.



When they pulled in the parking lot at school Derek grabbed his bag, hopped out and ran over to the passenger side. He opened the door and held out his hand like a valet service. Kat took his hand and stepped out of the car. The breeze teased her hair as they walked around the building to the front stairs.


Derek noticed a lot of guys staring at them as they walked into the school.


“Wow I must be looking especially hot today” he grinned, “these guys are absolutely drooling.”


“Well you do look hot as usual my good sir but I don’t think all of them are gay. Definitely some, but not all.” She said laughing.


For the first 2 periods Derek wondered when and how Kat would confess her love. The bell rang for the lunch and Derek made his way to his locker where Adam was waiting for him.


“Hey be careful in Howlett’s class today. He’s on his period or something. 20 pages of reading with an assignment at the end of it.” Adam groaned.


“Well I've got bigger things to focus on than Howlett.” Derek said stuffing his books into his locker and closing it. “Have you seen Kat?” he asked.


“Holy s**t I forgot she’s gonna tell him today. I haven’t seen her but I hope we run into her before Jessica Raimy does.”


“I know. I just wanna make sure everything goes perfect for her. And when you see her try to keep your mouth closed.” Derek said with a slight wink.


“What’s that supposed to mean?” he asked as they pushed open the cafeteria doors. Derek scanned the crowded room for her and spotted her putting money in a drink machine. He nudged Adam and pointed in her direction. Adam’s eye widened.


“No f*****g way.” He said astonished. They walked over to her and Adam gave her a look of approval.


“This little outfit wouldn't happen to be for a certain guy would it?” Adam asked coyly.


Kat gave a little twirl. “Well I just figured he’s more likely to notice me if I show him what he could have.”


“I’m sure he’s gonna notice. Hell, every guy in here has noticed.” They found a table and sat down. Derek noticed Kat looked uncharacteristically nervous.


“Are you planning on telling him before Howlett’s class?” Derek asked.


“You think I should?” Kat looked almost sick.


“I think first you should calm down. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?”


Suddenly a sharp pain shot up Derek’s leg. He jerked and quickly looked at Adam, who was motioning for him to look to his left. Derek turned his head to find Chad with his arms wrapped around a girl he’d seen before but didn’t have a class with. The two were far too close to be just friends and that thought was cemented as they shared a kiss.


Derek’s insides flared.


He looked over at Adam who had a worried look on his face. Hoping Kat hadn't seen Chad’s little PDA session he looked over to find that it was too late. He saw the look of pure destruction on her face and the tears started welling up as she watched the two continue to kiss.


“Adam! Do something!” Derek seemed desperate.


“Right.” Adam said as he grabbed the Coke Kat just bought and walked toward Chad and his mystery girl.


He began shaking the bottle as he approached them and when he was close enough he opened the bottle. Brown foam and fizz shot up and rained down on all three of them and a few people other people caught in the middle.


“Dude! What the hell!” Chad yelled as he wiped Coke of his forehead.


“Sorry I dropped it but I thought it was okay to open.” Adam shrugged.


While everyone in the cafeteria was focused on Adam’s little stunt, Derek grabbed Kat by the arm and briskly escorted her out the doors and down the hall knowing at any moment she could have a meltdown. He pushed open the door to the boy’s restroom.


“Anybody in here?” he called out.


Nothing.


He led Kat into the handicapped stall at the end and locked the door behind him. She didn’t say anything. Derek could see the tears in her eyes but it was almost as if she refused to let them fall. He’d known her since they were 4 and never saw her cry.


He ripped of some tissue from the dispenser by the toilet and handed it to her.


“Kat?” he whispered. She didn't even look at him.


“Katherine!” he yelled grabbing her by the shoulder.


She looked up but didn't speak; her brown eyes looking dim.


“Kat, come on Chad’s had bimbos before. You know soon enough he’ll wake up and get rid of her. He’s been single for a long time he was probably just a little lonely.” Derek said convincingly.


The bathroom door opened. “Derek, you in here?” Adam called out.


“Yea, last stall” he replied. “Kat listen it’s gonna be okay. You and Chad are great for each other and he’ll see that. And if he doesn't then screw him.”


“Yea Kitty.” Adam said from the other side of the door, “besides did you see how ugly that girl was? You’re ten times hotter than that chick.” He said leaning against the stall door.


“I mean, her face looked like something you’d find in one of these toilets.”


Kat laughed as she wiped her eyes and nose. Derek threw his arm around her and pulled her close for a hug, then opened the door to see a Coke stained Adam.


Kat looked at him and smiled “You didn't have to do that Adam.” She said reaching out to give him a hug.


“Eh, it wasn't a big deal. Besides, it’s not the worst thing I've been covered in.” he laughed.


Kat walked over to the mirror and reapplied her eyeliner.


“Y’know Kat if you don’t wanna go to Howlett’s class I completely understand. I can take you home.” Derek said leaning against Adam.


“No. I can handle it. I want Chad to see me. I want him to drool. Maybe it’ll speed up his epiphany about me and him.”


“Ok, well next period starts in like 5 minutes. You gonna be ok?”


“Yea I’ll make it. See you later,” she walked to the door and grabbed the handle. “And thank you both,” she said blowing them a kiss and swinging the door open to leave. Derek turned around and grabbed Adam by the shirt.


“That was awesome Adam. I had no idea you were gonna do something like that,” he said grinning.

“Well honestly my first thought was just to throw it at them but I didn't see that going well so I went to plan B.” he said laughing.


Derek pulled Adam close and kissed him.


His hands seemingly possessed as they roamed around Adams lean and still damp body.


Just then the door swung open once more. A tall, slender redhead entered. He looked at Derek and Adam and let out a disgusted groan.


Derek felt Adam’s muscles tighten and clinch.


“You got a problem Shane?” He said stepping in front of Derek.


Before Shane could even speak Derek slid in between the two.


“No, there’s no problem. Adam let’s just go. Class is starting anyway.”


“Better listen to your wife Norrly.” Shane said with a smirk.


Adam stepped forward and Derek stretched his arms out in front of him.


“Adam, he’s not worth it.” He said trying to brace for Adam’s outburst.


Keeping his eyes steady on Shane, Adam walked out of the bathroom and down the hall. Derek let out a quiet sigh and walked over to the door.


“Shane, leave us alone.” he said calmly, “next time I won’t hold him back.”


Derek walked into the classroom and sat his homework on Mr. Howlett’s desk. Turning around he instantly locked his eyes on Chad as he walked to his seat and sat down.


Person after person entered the room and Derek wondered if Kat had decided to skip today so she wouldn’t have to see Chad. The tardy bell rang as Howlett got up from his desk to shut his door.


“Alright my bright pupils” he started, “let’s pick up where we left off on the Renaissance. Take out some paper for notes.” He said pulling down the projection screen.


Just then a loud knock threw Howlett off focus.


He walked over to the door and opened it.


“Ah Miss Reece, how nice of you to join us.” He said as Kat handed him her late slip.


Derek knew exactly what she was doing. What better way to be noticed than to create an audience for yourself. She strutted into the room and stopped right in front Chad.


“S**t. I forgot some paper. Can anybody help me out?” she said seductively.


Derek covered his mouth trying to stifle the laughter yearning to break free.


Chad, looking dumbstruck, leaned over to search through his bag for a couple sheets. Pulling them free he slowly rose back up, clearly admiring every inch of Kat's toned and tan legs, and handed her the paper.


“Well aren't you sweet.” She said pinching his cheek.


“Sit down Miss Reece.” Mr. Howlett seemed agitated.


On her way to her seat she gave a little wave to the guys who were bold enough to stare even though she was looking at them. She didn’t know half of their names but it was important to let Chad see other guys wanted her.


And that she could easily have them.


The bell rung and everyone jumped up. “Wait! Just turn your work in and you all are excused,” Howlett said from his desk.


Kat walked to the front desk and laid her work on the table. Tory Gunner dashed up to her and Derek knew he was asking her out and he’d hoped Kat said no. She patted him on the shoulder as she side stepped him to come meet Derek.


“Did he just ask you out?” Derek inquired.


“Yea but I told him I was waiting on someone else to ask me. And I also told him Jessica Raimy was desperate to give some lucky dude a blowjob and that he should check with her.”


“Oh my god, Kat! He’s probably gonna do it too.” Derek said slinging his backpack over his shoulder, “and she’s totally gonna know you told him to do it.”


“And I’m supposed to give a s**t?” Kat replied as she pushed open the double doors leading outside.

There, right at the bottom of the staircase, stood Chad and the mystery girl. Kat stopped dead in her tracks and grabbed Derek’s arm. Derek looked ahead and frowned.


“You wanna take the back door?” he said.


“No need. I’m gonna go over there.” She said starting down the stairs.


“Kat, please don’t hit the girl.” Derek pleaded.


Kat laughed, “I’m not gonna hurt her Derek.”


“I said hit, not hurt.”


“Relax, I just wanna check out the competition.” She walked up to the two of them.


“Hey Chad, I just wanted to thank you for the paper.”


“Oh, no problem Kat.” He said awkwardly trying not to stare.


“Maybe some time I could return the favor,” she said flicking his chin, “aren't you gonna introduce me to your friend.” she turned to the girl.


“Yea this is Taran.” He said pushing her toward Kat.


Derek could feel the heat radiating off Kat.


He stepped up, “Hi I’m Derek.” He said shaking her hand. “I’ve seen you around but I never really stoppe "”


“So you two dating?” Kat cut in.


Chad looked confused. “No we’re just friends. We have drama together and Taran thought it’d be a good idea to try to stir up some chemistry for the role.”


Derek nudged Kat. “So I take it y’all are gonna be doing Romeo and Juliet?”


“Barefoot in the Park.” Chad corrected.


“Oh you hear that Kat? Barefoot in the Park. A play. Just. A. Play.” Derek said slowly.


“Yea I heard.” she said looking stunned.


“Well we gotta get going.” Chad said, “I need to get my lines straight.”


“Of course.” Derek said grabbing Kat by the hand, “we’ll see y’all later.” he said walking towards the parking lot.


Once he was out of hearing range he broke into a laugh harder than he’d laughed in a while.


“Wait till I tell Adam he that threw Coke on them for nothing!” he said in between laughs.


“I can’t believe it.” Kat said still shocked.


“Well I know you feel stupid now.” Derek said opening his car door and throwing his backpack in the back seat.


“I do. But that still doesn't change things. I need to tell him how I feel like tomorrow. That Taran girl is gonna make her move. I could see it in her eyes Derek.”


“Okay, so you’ll look hot again tomorrow and as soon as you see him you’ll tell him how you feel.”


“Hopefully it’s that simple.” She said looking back.


“It will be Kat. I saw the way he looked at you today.”


“That’s because I gave him a boner Derek. But is he gonna stick around after the boner is gone? That’s the question.” Kat looked worried.


“He’d be stupid not too.” Derek said taking out his cell phone and putting it to his ear.


“Who are you calling?” Kat asked.


“Adam. We had a little altercation with that d****e Shane Ullman in the bathroom after you left. I just wanna make sure he’s cool.”


“Maybe you should drop me off and go meet him somewhere.”


“He didn't answer.” Derek looked confused.


“Well just text him and tell him to meet you somewhere so you guys can talk.”


“Good idea.” He typed out the message and hit send.


“Come on, let’s get you home.” He said getting in the car, “you have an outfit to plan and I gotta go check on my man!”


Kat groaned, “Don’t try to rhyme sweetheart. It’s lame.” Derek laughed as he threw the car in drive and sped off.



© 2013 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Enjoy! ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on May 9, 2013
Last Updated on May 11, 2013
Tags: Romance, Gay & Lesbian, Fiction, Supernatural & Occult


Author

Chris
Chris

Little Rock, AR



About
My name is Chris, I'm 20, and I live in Arkansas. I just like to dabble in writing here and there. I mostly write poetry or what I'd call poetry lol it's mostly just writings of whatever I feel at the.. more..

Writing
In The Shadow In The Shadow

A Book by Chris