Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chris Harris

Westminster High School �" 8pm

 

It was a cold and rainy day in London, although isn't it always. All the other students had gone home long ago, but I was still in the science lab working - as usual. The sky was dark grey outside and rain drummed a rhythmic beat on the long classroom windows. The school was empty, teachers and students likely in bed with hot chocolate. But although it was dreary by anyone else's standards, this was when I liked to work. The rain drowned out any arbitrary noises outside and apart from that there was peace and quiet. I could concentrate.




Alone with my thoughts I worked away in the science lab. Sketching on the whiteboard and taking notes on my tablet PC. For the last few weeks I had been working on a game changing new project of mine. If I could get it to work, it would mean consistent renewable energy for 3rd world countries across the world. My theory involved designing a solar panelled structure that could rise up above the cloud line, and in doing so absorb golden energy from the sun to bring back down and power our devices. The kicker of course being that no matter rain or shine, there would be consistent renewable energy despite the weather.




It wouldn't do much for cities on a large scale, but in 3rd world countries it could provide enough juice to power many families' homes with reliable energy.  The cherry on top is that it would bring us a step closer to conquering global warming. If I could get the concept to work on a small scale then maybe one day it could be adapted to partially power the cities centres.




It was one of the projects I was most proud of and had been very promising. Tonight I was testing some materials in the lab. The finished product would have to be very tall after all, so structural integrity was key. I was just busy with a carbon fibre blend when I realized the time.




'Is it already that late?' I said, looking down at my watch. This wasn't the first time I had lost track of time working on a project. I quickly began wiping down the whiteboard while simultaneously shoving my hand in my pocket 'Hi Mike, it's Camden' I said into my smartphone. 'Yes yes I know I'm late, I'll be outside in 10 minutes'. Mikes fiancée Nadine would not be happy with me dragging her future husband away at dinner - again. It was Christmas eve after all. Being a driver for the Armonts meant great pay but strange and infrequent hours.




Like clockwork, 10 minutes later I was outside. I quickly synced my files to the office at home. I anticipated another late night researching. Just then the Jag pulled up and I hopped in the back. 'Sorry I'm late Mike. I'm sure Nadine isn't too happy tonight'. Mike turned around to face me. He was a dark haired, fairly tall and ever energetic man in his early thirties. His uncle had been a driver for us and Mike had taken up his post. 'Ah no worries Cam, I'm glad I could ge' a listen in on how the football's goin from the radio. Nadine doesn like me havin the game on durin supper'. Despite how he usually left the last letter off pronouncing his words, I liked Mike. He picked me up and dropped me off whenever I needed, but between work it was nice to have someone to joke around with. 'Well glad I could help, how's the game going? Last I heard Arsenal was a goal up'. 'Oh that was 20 minutes ago Cam, Man City came back and is wipin the floor with Arsenal!' We spent the ride discussing football, I had the scores updated to my phone so I could keep up with Mike who knew all the games, scores and players.




The car jiggled gently up the cobblestone driveway to the house and I walked inside, leaving Mike to shout at the game from his radio. The house had been with the Armonts for many generations. The land was bought by Nathaniel Armont -my great great grandfather- and it had been renovated and upgraded by each generation since. There were large rolling grounds and at the top stood an impressive 3 story mansion. My parents weren't home, they hardly where. Right now they were in Angola fighting malaria in the rural areas. I didn't have bad parents, they loved me and video called most days. They just weren't around. But that didn't bother me too much, I was used to being on my own. I had never had many friends and had learnt to take care of myself from a young age. I enjoyed the time to myself and used it to work on my projects.



My parents had called me 2 days ago to say they couldn't make it for Christmas. Their pilot had come down sick and they couldn't get another out on such short notice. I understood, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or one. I went across into the kitchen and saw that our housekeeper Martha had left a note and dinner in the oven. She was used to me coming home late. I took the plate to the office and started unpacking my things when Matha came in. 'I heard the noise Cam, another late night I see. Well I left ya some dinner in the -' 'In the oven, yes I did see. Thanks Martha' I said, unnecessarily holding up the plate for her to see. 'It's gettin a bit late though' I said 'Why don't you knock off for today and get some rest.' Martha raised an eyebrow at me and replied in her southern accent. 'Oh I will do master Armont, but it’s not good for yer to be workin so much. Why don't you find a nice girl and take her out? Spend less time in front of these computers.' I smiled, Martha was from Memphis and had been somewhere between a mother and a housekeeper since I was very little. 'But where would I find someone as lovely as you Martha?' She waved her hand in a disregarding way and left me to my work. 'Ya best be asleep before Santa gets here!' She said over her shoulder as she left the room.



I let out a quiet chuckle, then I fired up all my computers. It was past 2am when I finally got so sleep.



© 2014 Chris Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on January 19, 2014
Last Updated on January 19, 2014
Tags: camden, armont, chris, rhys, harris, YA, Young adult


Author

Chris Harris
Chris Harris

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
I am a writer, a young one at that. 22 years old with one book under my belt but taking on my biggest novel yet. Looking for inspiration, help and a community to run ideas and writing subject matter b.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Chris Harris


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chris Harris


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Chris Harris