Deserted On An Island

Deserted On An Island

A Story by Christopher Zayn
"

First essay, analyzing the culture of modern America and contrasting it with being on a remote island. Based on survival outside of the comforts we know and take for granted.

"
In the modern world of America, the popular television networks can depict to its viewers realistic scenarios. The term "reality show" is taken quite literally among the people who tune in. A program like "Survivor" or "Lost" can be entertaining and realistic, but it takes away from the imagination of what being on a deserted island is really like.
Experiencing being alone on an inhabited island is nothing like a vacation. Coupled with the general anxiety of the situation, shelter and food would be the top priority. Much different than opening a refrigerator. The discovery of such necessities such as food and drinkable water would be celebrated.
You make an arrival. The corner of the island is looming and dark cave. It is not safe or enterable without a light source. As the sun begins to descend, it is apparent that fire would be most necessary. A panic ensues.
The problem with fire starting is, a considerable amount of people don't know how. The American culture of creating things out of thin air become second nature. The manual methods are not learned. Such as with lighters, matches, and gas stoves. Discard the popularized ineffective methods of rubbing wood together.
The sun rays on the horizon gives its last wave. The final light source is only twilight. The cave doesn't appear any darker. The only shelter within sight, the decision is made. The jagged rocks and paranoia are equally sharp. Shelter is reluctantly made.
In most big urban cities, homelessness is a big economic challenge. What the homeless face is dehumanizing on a daily basis. They are often looked at with scorn, and their methods are equally shone in a pitiful manner. The way of America lending a hand can be to feed and clothe the needy. In other ways can be pretty bitter. The process of gentrifying or "cleansing" a certain borough can be to literally outlaw homeless persons.
The sun appears, illuminating the empty cave. Sharp fragments of stone embedded into the skin. Bubbly salt water to rinse the face. A small cruise ship is in the distance. Frantically jumping ashore, the cruise isn't that far off. Swimming lessons are finally paid off.
In conclusion, being on a remote island can be a vacation. To many an unlikely hellacious experience only seen on their television screens. But next time you're grabbing a soda from the fridge, you should think about being without the comforts you live with. Or you can check Twitter pages.

© 2015 Christopher Zayn


Author's Note

Christopher Zayn
minor grammar inconsistentcies,
I didn't have much inspiration
Suggestions and new topics appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You painted the scenes so well with the words you employ. While reading, I was like traversing waves in the sea. When I get to the shore, I see the bigger picture. The concluding statement is canny. You were able to establish what you are writing is for in the end. I can sense your unique style as well. Keep going.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Zayn

8 Years Ago

I think I have to work more on my imagery. I want to really pull readers into my mind through my wor.. read more
makoy

8 Years Ago

Yeah, but you paint good images with this, and if you are really dedicated to work on your imagery, .. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.



Reviews

You painted the scenes so well with the words you employ. While reading, I was like traversing waves in the sea. When I get to the shore, I see the bigger picture. The concluding statement is canny. You were able to establish what you are writing is for in the end. I can sense your unique style as well. Keep going.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Zayn

8 Years Ago

I think I have to work more on my imagery. I want to really pull readers into my mind through my wor.. read more
makoy

8 Years Ago

Yeah, but you paint good images with this, and if you are really dedicated to work on your imagery, .. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This was such an interesting and original idea. The technical inconsistencies only added to the very raw feel of the piece. From this essay I believe that you have a very unique style of writing that I'm looking forward to seeing more of!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Zayn

9 Years Ago

Thank you! It seems my most viewed piece so far is the Glad I Did narrative essay, lol.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 25, 2015
Last Updated on April 25, 2015
Tags: Deserted, Island, Modern, America

Author

Christopher Zayn
Christopher Zayn

Fantasy Land, CA



About
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.” ― Albert Einstein, The World As I See .. more..

Writing