Solace of a Lantern

Solace of a Lantern

A Story by Chryiss
"

2013 FF Oneshot

"

The little bat beat its waxen wings, papery membranes affixed to gangly bones that laboured to keep the frail creature aloft in the moonless, starless night. Despite having eyes that cast light into the vast gloom, the unremitting silhouettes of spectral limbs grating in the withering wind rattled the little bats heart as he flew shakily on.


Grasping, groaning towards the night ceiling the boughs quavered a rickety strain. He trembled though his body was already wobbling from the relentless gusts of bitter wind. In his warped imaginings, the scarred trunks of the towering cobweb branches turned into malefic visages threatening to lunge at him if he didnt carry on his flight.


Alone in this pitiless night his heart yearns for solace, for warmth. But no one answers his silent cries.


An unexpected gale ricochets off the top of the barren forest, ominous faces now contorting into delight as they dive with the force of the wind at him. He utters a muffled shriek and reels towards the ground, only at the last moment catching himself before impact.


Wheezing for air his body seesaws, desperately at the verge of collapse. Then to his sudden rapture a mysterious amber glow hovers in the near distance. Careening towards the source hes thankful for what seems to be a lit pumpkin, a jack-o-lantern.


Alighting upon the blackened branch on which it sits, he finally rests---unbeknownst that the branch is in fact, a shoulder.

© 2018 Chryiss


Author's Note

Chryiss
Uploaded old work yet again. I was tempted to make this genre horror haha. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How I love this story Chryiss! I was drawn to the title, then finding that it was the tale of little bat, I was so pleased. Having a maligned creature be the character in your story is just my type of writing. Descriptively wonderful, touching and very sweet...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kay
This is an endearing piece. =) Normally, we envision bats as these sharp-toothed, creepy, vicious creatures, also associated with villainous vampire tales. But here, you draw the curtain back and reveal a tender truth - he is "frail", he flies "shakily", he has a "little heart", he's "trembling" while calling out but nobody answers his "silent cries". I wanted to wrap him up in a warm hug. It's an interesting perspective because we often forget to zoom out and look at the bigger picture; bats are quite small in the animal kingdom. They are "papery" and have "gangly bones", and therefore are more fragile than we judge them to be. Great story-telling, it forces us to empathize beyond our usual understanding. If you look into the symbolism of this short story, it's also a sweet take on going against the "withering wind" of life and finding guidance (from the lantern's light through the dark) and comfort in someone who offers their shoulder to lean on. Well written!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chryiss

5 Years Ago

I'm rather late due to rl issues, but thank you so much for your thoughtful and perceptive review!
I like the POV. The ending has a great twist.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you! Glad to hear the ending was a twist as I had hoped!
How I love this story Chryiss! I was drawn to the title, then finding that it was the tale of little bat, I was so pleased. Having a maligned creature be the character in your story is just my type of writing. Descriptively wonderful, touching and very sweet...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chryiss

5 Years Ago

Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 23, 2018
Last Updated on September 23, 2018

Author

Chryiss
Chryiss

CT



About
An artist. A dreamer. A writer. A storyteller. I am Chryiss. These stories are the culminations of my imagination. Will you share in my daydreams? My latest fantasy novel, My World To Live, is ava.. more..

Writing