Ch. 2

Ch. 2

A Chapter by Michael J Taylor

Chapter 2:

Planet Deadwing: Merc town

 

        Strolling into the Convention Complex of Merc town, Midnight was greeted by a doorman who took down his name on the attendance form. Midnight continued through to the bar they had set up and ordered a Mt. Dew with a key lime slice and powdered sugar mixed in. Midnight surveyed the area as he sipped at his drink; the Convention Complex had silver wall paper with marble tiles on the floor, it had twenty rooms, the massive one where the main gathering would take place with a stage at the front of it, and nineteen other rooms set up for smaller groups to congregate, trade secrets, black mail people, order unregistered weapons off of the Deep Web; you know, the usual stuff that occurs behind closed doors. Speaking of which, Midnight was in the market for an untraceable Pulse revolver, perhaps when he had some free time, he would go into another room and-. His thinking was interrupted as someone approached. Tall and blonde, the girl wore a yellow dress with pink trim and the Deadwing insignia (a shield with a skull inside of it with wings in the outside of the shield itself) emblazoned on the folds of the dress’ skirt. She smiled at Midnight.

“I see that you got rid of that horrid leather you like to wear” she said noting the fact that Midnight was wearing a tuxedo that was all black with silver trim with the Deadwing insignia emblazoned of both his gloves and on the necktie. He carried a ceremonial cutlass in a sheath at his side after the manner of the Armada officers as a reference to the close friendship that both groups share.

“Don’t hold your breath, the only reason for this wardrobe change is decorum, I’ve come to learn that there’s a time and a place to dress up as well as a time and a place to give no darns to the matter of appearance.” He replied smiling back at her. Caroline was the type of girl that believed fashion was just as important as a weapon was. Naturally, she and Midnight disagreed. “Has it ever occurred to you that dressing up like this is what allows the vipers to mingle with us? Caroline raised an eyebrow.

“Says the hired gun/warrior/mage.”

“You laugh now, but mark my words; some fool is going to stab us all in the back and we won’t even know it. Why? Because said fool will be dolled-up like the rest of us. An assassin in gentleman’s clothing.”

“You keep describing yourself”

“It will happen, and when it does I’ll be ready” he said pulling out two tarot cards, his fidget spinner, and a gun.

“You brought weapons to the annual gathering?”

“And you didn’t? Haven’t you read The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson? A function like this is exactly where something bad is likely to happen.”

“And you base that on a work of fiction”

“Fantasy is only science that can’t be explained. Also, one would think that mage’s being a thing you would come to trust fantasy more than “science” of all things. After all, the laws of physics become somewhat redundant when someone can bend and reshape them with the right tarot card.”

“Well,… Okay, I guess I have to give you that one.” She allowed with a sigh. Midnight smiled wider.

“I actually left you speechless? What an accomplishment, I’ll need to add it to my resume.”

“Oh, shut up” Just then feedback sounded over the speakers and the hundreds of people in attendance quieted down as Tobias Polasfin, the leader of the Deadwing Organization took the stage. He was in his eighties with hair that had grayed and thinned long ago wearing a white suit a black tie looking out over the audience.

“Brothers and Sisters” he began in a shallow but commanding voice “Thank you for attending our annual gathering, please refrain from trying to shoot anyone at this time. I’m looking at you, flat-bed.” Everyone laughed at that. “Another year has passed and a new one dawns. Some of you have experienced great growth. Others are progressing far more quickly than they should.” He said looking at Midnight. “Keep working, keep earning, and never stop pushing!” He finished leaving the stage as people began to mingle again.

“Wow” Midnight began “His announcements get shorter and shorter every year.”

“He is looking worse for wear.” Caroline agreed

“People will take advantage of that and begin playing for power.”

“Another lesson from Brandon Sanderson?”

“Just common sense, when you gather this many predators in one place, they live in an order that establishes survival as a privilege of the strong. Once the strong become weak, they become obsolete. That is the way of Deadwing. It’s a depressing way, but it’s what we all deal with.” Midnight replied, continuing to drink his Mt. Dew. A man dressed in Navy Blue walked over to the two of them and bowed.

“Mr. Midnight, the High Lords request your presence immediately.” He turned to Caroline and bowed to her as well. “If you’ll excuse us, Miss Poltin.” With that, he swiveled around and ushered for Midnight to follow him to one of the smaller rooms.

“See you later, witch.” Midnight said, smiling as he left Caroline.

“Heartless demon!” she yelled after him as he strode along beside the courier.

They passed dozens of people nicely dressed in various colors. After a few minutes, they reached a doorway to one of the smaller rooms. The guards on duty nodded and allowed Midnight to enter. The High Lords of Deadwing were legendary. Numbering twelve at all times, the High Lords were the fastest, strongest, and smartest of the organization. They were recognized by the United Galaxies General Assembly as the sovereign rulers of Planet Deadwing. Each of them represented a different mentality and personality than the others. Twelve beings equal in power and authority each one capable of being unique while acting for the good of the Organization and the Planet on which it resides, each of them wore a mask, it was improper for those below Noble status to know they’re true identities. They sat at a circular table surrounding two loveseats in the center with Tobias Polasfin being situated in one and the other being empty.

“Midnight, our young ace.” Tobias greeted with a smile. “Please do come and have a seat, we have much to discuss.” Tobias stood and motioned for him to come over and have a seat in the other chair. Midnight sat and smiled.

“Why do I have a feeling you don’t want to share a pizza?” He asked earning a chuckle from Tobias and a couple of the High Lords.

“I think you’ll find this much better than pizza.” Tobias replied

“It is our intention to recognize your outstanding achievements throughout your time here with us.” One of the Masked High Lords said in a feminine voice. “You are so young, so scarred, and yet, you advance much more quickly than those who have spent a life time working with us. It is our intent to elevate your status to Noble.”

“Really?” Midnight asked “Can you do that? I mean, don’t I have to earn it first?”

“Yes” the same High Lord answered. “If you wish to prove yourself unquestionably worthy of Noble status you must take and complete an epic-level job. You may use any resource on your assignment except for a partner or team. You must do it alone, if you survive the mission and return here with a favorable review of the one who submitted the job, you will be made a Noble.”

“I see” Midnight said thoughtfully

“If it seems too difficult for your ability, don’t feel ashamed, it has been over twenty years since someone has reached Noble status.”

“Are you kidding?” Midnight chuckled “This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for, something that actually sounds challenging! When do I start?” he asked

“That is up to you” Tobias said handing him a piece of paper. “This is the code you’ll need to access the higher order job lists. Good Luck, we hope for great things.”



© 2017 Michael J Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on June 28, 2017
Last Updated on June 30, 2017