Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Cly Young
"

The Scarlett Harker Files

"

Prologue


My name is Scarlett Harker. I am 27 years old and am a private detective of sorts. Due to my clientele, most of the time I don’t get rewarded by monetary means. So to pay the bills, I work random part time jobs, like being a receptionist or courier, even coffee shops. They’re easy and give me flexibility for my real work. I share a dinky apartment with my little sister Paulina, whom I call Holy Poly. My relationship with my sister is the key to what I do and why I do it. We were inseparable until I was 13 and she was 8, then DHS came in and made the inseparable separable. We found each other a few years back and have become indivisible again. During that time apart she had been adopted by a good family, became a churchy, and went to college. Now she works as a case worker and life coach for some pretty messed up little delinquents, aka mini me’s. 

In comes my real job...  A lot of the kids she works with are in foster care, bad care, or no care. A number of them have home situations that just need a little public light shed on them to reveal just how unhealthy and false things really are. Then some of the kids are just trying to find good ol’ mom and dad. Although, I always warn them sometimes they’re better left unfound, but to each his own right.

            What I do is purely in the gray and never clean or welcomed. But I know firsthand how it is to be a kid who couldn’t prove the truth, and should never have been sent back home. So we do what we can for this new generation of misfits and undesirables.  If anything, at least they can sleep at night knowing someone believes them. However, don’t mistake me for being a saint or even nice actually. I’m generally a real piece of work, if you’re looking for someone to aspire to please refer to Holy Poly. With me, just stay out of my way and don’t be the dead beet parent I come looking for late at night.


So this is my story, where I’m from, what I do, and how I do it. Believe me, I make more enemies than friends, and this crap isn’t for the faint-hearted, but somebody needs to talk about it.



© 2015 Cly Young


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I knew I was goin to enjoy this. Your opener had me hooked. Holy Poly - that put a grin on my face. This was fantastically well written, your paragraphing, sentence length and grammar skills are excellently executed. Thank you for such a good read.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2015
Last Updated on June 24, 2015