Case 1: Humpty Dumpty My A*s

Case 1: Humpty Dumpty My A*s

A Chapter by Cly Young
"

The Scarlett Harker Files

"

Case 1: Humpty Dumpty My A*s


“Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.” In this case, a 14 year old who went “whoopsie daisies” down a stairwell. It always amazes me the bogus stories people make to explain their unsightly sins, but even more so the bogus people who believe them. When Holy Poly gave me this case, at first glance I could see it being an accident, but she had a bad feeling and asked me to take a deeper look. Guess what, my baby sis has good instincts. I met little “Timmy” and his loving parents in the hospital, as a friendly patron of course. Did you know that falling down the stairs causes black eyes that look more like right hooks and partial hand print bruises? I didn’t, but they seemed to be quite convinced it did. Hmmm...  Next comes the background check. That didn’t pull up any red flags. A few traffic tickets, and a loud noise complaint from a domestic dispute but nothing that would really point to abuse at foot. So I looked into Timmy. When you want to analysis a kid, you won’t get anything from asking them straight up, most the time anyways. You have to read outside the lines. Timmy was a C, oh who are we kidding, D average student, but only since the last 2 years. So that tells me something changed. Puberty? We all know how that can derail a good kid into a rebel without a cause, literally overnight. Or was it his new long lost older brother that moved back in 2.5 years ago and, according to sources who shall not be named, has quite the record for disorderly conduct. Now I think we’re getting hotter. So now all you have to do is catch him and get some evidence. Easy right? NOPE. This takes time, lots of doughnuts, and long stake outs.

 In the week that I watched him, big brother lived more saintly than the Pope.  Eventually, Timmy healed and got discharged from the hospital. I hate this type of timing, because even though this makes things come to light faster, it also means the victim is vulnerable. On one of my late night stake outs, whilst enjoying the company of Bavarian filled deep fried yummy goodness, I was interrupted by some harsh, not so quiet, whispering. At around 1 am, Timmy was apparently trying to sneak out but big brother intercepted him. From My location I couldn’t hear much, but it became apparent that I wouldn’t need to hear much before I saw all the proof I needed. Big bro was commanding something, when Timmy made a remark and turned to flee, but big bro pulled him back and started choking Timmy. I hate to do it, but in this moment, a picture is as important as stopping the violence, so I’ve had to get good at multi-tasking. I snapped like crazy as I leapt out of my car and ran to Timmy. Big bro saw me coming, he hesitated, probably debating whether or not to take me out too, but then decided the best action was to run. Fortunately, he ran in my general direction which is why I carry stun guns. Don’t want him running loose, when justice is waiting to be served. I tased him to the ground, then continued on to check on Timmy. He was shaking and coughing trying to catch up on air when I called 911.

At the police station, it came to light the parents knew their boys did not get along, and had seen signs of physical violence between the two before. Still, they were unable to believe what was actually happening. The images were a cold reality that they were forced to face (told you how important it was). Now big bro is in jail, he was 18 by the way and tried as an adult. He also decided to man up, and confessed to the stairwell incident as well. I don’t consider this a happy ending though, because it’s not a happy story. What would have happened if I hadn’t been there that night watching? Would his parents have ever opened their eyes to see the truth? I’ve found that people will gladly follow delusions to escape having to accept a terrible reality. For that, I do blame them, but at the same time I also stand guilty and am condemned all the same. In any case, at least the kid is alive and safe. Psycho bro is in jail, and the truth was accepted.

-Scarlett Harker



© 2015 Cly Young


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great story idea , you make it clear that Scarlett is experienced and can spot all the signs, with little things, like pointing out how she sees many people living in a delusion rather than acting on problems. Can't wait to read more!!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on June 25, 2015