Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Colleen Magelky AKA taurusgrl42895

I don't really remember what happened that week. After the accident... All I know is that I fell in love and that my best friend died.
~First Night~
We all arrived to the three beach cabins in Miriam's beat up van that Sunday night. It was Miriam; her boyfriend, Patrick, me, this kid named Jake, Macy and her boyfriend, James. Spring break was in full swing and this was our group's trip. 'Our group' being the senior 'popular' crowd, excluding Macy--who was a freshman. I don't really remember why we allowed her on the trip. Jake and I were the only ones who were single and I always seem to think that it was set up for me and Jake to get together, but that didn't matter to me. I always ignored it.
We piled out of the rugged van and it was slightly chilly. I could feel the salt coming off the ocean and smell it, even though we were still a ways away from the beach. The smell was intoxicating, considering I had been cooped up in the city since last summer and Christmas break wasn't set in Los Angeles like had always been for my family. I helped Miriam unload the trunk while the rest of them picked out what cabins they wanted to be in. I let Jake go ahead and pick for us. It didn't make any difference for me.
"This is going to be a great week." She said to me while throwing my bag next to me. I game Miriam a look as if to say 'really?' and she grinned. I rolled my eyes smiling.
"Yeah," I replied, heaving James' bag out of the trunk onto the ground. "No joke."
"So there are only three cabins, you and Jake are going to have to share a cabin."
"Alright." I shrugged. Like I didn't already know that before hand. Macy and James were a couple and so were Miriam and Patrick. They would want cabins to themselves for 'alone time'.
We took the bags to each of the cabins and, since it was late, we headed to our own cabins. It was about eleven o'clock and even though a midnight swim on the beach sounded like a splendid idea, I was tired from just the drive. I walked in and threw the key onto the card table that was considered the dining table.
"Jake?" I asked, just curious as to where he was, if he was even in there at all. I kind of thought he would have talked for a little bit before going to sleep. Elaborate on how great it was going to be.
"I'm in the bedroom." He replied. "There is only one bed. I can sleep on the couch."
"No." I walked into the bedroom with our bags. "It's no big deal. We're only friends, right?"
"You sure?"
I smiled and nodded. It was his spring break too. I wasn't going to let him sleep on a couch his entire spring break. That would just be mean.
He smiled back. I put my bag on my side of the bed and pulled out my toiletry bag.
"Mind if I use the bathroom first?" I ask him, pulling out my over-sized t-shirt.
He shook his head and I went into the bathroom and changed quickly. I opened the door for him, in case he needed to brush his teeth or do some other form of nightly duty that didn't involve him being alone in the bathroom. He walked in with his toothbrush. No toothpaste?
"Can I use your toothpaste?" He asked. That would explain it. I squeezed some onto my toothbrush and handed him the tube.
"Thanks."
I nodded and started brushing my teeth. He bumped into me, setting butterflies in my stomach. I scooted over for him and he smiled at me. He wasn't bumping me because he didn't have enough room, he did it just to do it. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. He laughed and started to brush his teeth. I finished before him and walked around him into the bedroom.
I pulled back the covers on the bed and crawled in. I watched Jake shut off the light in the bathroom and he stood by the doorway to the living, next to the light switch.
"You sure you don't want me to sleep on the couch?" He asked. I chuckled. He wasn't going to let this go, was he? It's not like we were doing anything other than sleeping.
"Really, Jake." I replied with a smile. "It's no big deal to me.
He shrugged.
"Okay, whatever you say." He shut off the light, making the room go nearly pitch black. The moon was shining through the small window at the top of the wall. I watched his shadowy figure walk over to the other side of the bed and get in.
"Goodnight, Vanessa." He said and turned his back to me. I looke dup at the ceiling and let out a sigh.
"Night, Jake." I replied.
I closed my eyes and fell asleep.


© 2012 Colleen Magelky AKA taurusgrl42895


Author's Note

Colleen Magelky AKA taurusgrl42895
Hey guys, sorry if it seems short. It's only the night when they arrive, so the days are definitely longer. I hope you guys like it! I'm going to try to put up a chapter a weekday, since I have study hall and nothing else to do! Enjoy, guys!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
"I don't really remember what happened that week. After the accident... All I know is that I fell in love and that my best friend died." - This opening sentence kept me intrigued the whole way through. I look forward to reading the next chapter. Very well done!

- Brittney

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 12, 2012
Last Updated on October 12, 2012
Tags: spring break, romance, love, murder


Author

Colleen Magelky AKA taurusgrl42895
Colleen Magelky AKA taurusgrl42895

MO



About
My name's Colleen and I'm trying to remember that this website is here. A lot of my other stories are on Wattpad, however, so go check those out! Junior psychology major just making my way through .. more..

Writing