Anthrophobia

Anthrophobia

A Poem by Cole Hayley

 Anthrophobia
Encased in the purity of a glass prism 

I'll look out through the bullet-proof windows

At all of the people sinking through the floorboards. 


I built myself inside of a heavily armoured shell

With enough ammunition to blow everybody away

If they ever dared to look at me. 


I'll deface my insecurities with the most elaborate security system

Compelling rumours down the grapevine will tell of my blood thirsty hounds

Everything will become so peaceful without their snickers

Everything will become so powerful with their barks. 


As precious as I considered my encasement to be 

I still wonder what its like on the other side of the pixie glass.


Out there in the gritty underbelly

Trapped in the midst of a murky swamp with faceless people

Everything surrounded by the stench of the somber haze.


As soon as I start to think about it I wanted to kill myself. 


The clean and sanitary halls of my prism will do fine for myself

With my only friend being the reflection off the glass.

I know he will never look down on me


Unless one day he gets tired of being in my shadow

And decides to finally break out from the confinement of the glass. 


I know he has the same heavy arsenal as me 

I know he won't hesitate to blow me away. 


Just give him a couple of days.

© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i researched what Anthrophobia meant before reading this. you was bang on the money. exactly how someone with that fear would act. and the fact you showed the obsession with isolation was making the person insane just added to that. i loved the vocab in this. it was very well structured. another great poem. well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i researched what Anthrophobia meant before reading this. you was bang on the money. exactly how someone with that fear would act. and the fact you showed the obsession with isolation was making the person insane just added to that. i loved the vocab in this. it was very well structured. another great poem. well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I thought anthrophobia was a fear of people..? No? Anyways, whether I understood the poem or not, I still liked it. The metaphors are strong and fit in well. Nicely done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fear of flowers. The title made me think of a person's fear and insecurities towards women. But as I read on you mentioned about all people, faceless people. So then I absorbed that this is about a person's personal fear. His fear of showing his dreams, vulnerabilities and flaws. He isolated himself from the real world and chose to hide in his shadow because he doesn't have the strength to endure the harsh reality.

Your poem speaks of a very critical issue that the young generation is facing.

Another great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great poem. I love the feeling and emotion that is so carefully weaved throughout this poem. Wonderful job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, Cole. This packed a powerful poem punch. I absolutely loved this line "I'll deface my insecurities with the most elaborate security system" The ending was striking as well. A few days to recuperate yourself....Nicely done ^_~

Posted 11 Years Ago


well done.. fear of people extended to a fear of the one we live with.. ourselves.. there is one line where you used present tense and then transitioned to past tense.. I don't know if that was intentional..

"As soon as I start to think about it I wanted to kill myself. "

"start" and "wanted" are conflicting but perhaps you intended this since the work itself is conflicting in nature..







Posted 11 Years Ago


Protection in a glass prism is no protection at all.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, that was dark, very well done and powerful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


beautiful and deep ..good work

Posted 11 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1085 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 15, 2012
Last Updated on July 15, 2012

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


LIVE ON LIVE ON

A Poem by afra