4

4

A Poem by Cole Hayley
"

half way

"
4
we've come to the end of our tether 
and like george i'm a part of the earth's
rotation, i've never been so scheduled 

you're sandra bullock alright 
you're doing fine, you feel 
like you're going to die all 
the time but you won't, 
at least not yet, not
in space

but 
probably in a retiring home somewhere
or your second born's basement apartment 
the one he originally planned on renting out
until you broke your hip, either that or in the 
lap of your lover, the second after him

my future isn't as bright or grim 
it's the grey in between, history
in progress unsure of the direction
it wants to go with the whole thing

funny, that's the same way
i approach poetry 

i'll die in the middle of a poem,
alright 

© 2016 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley
5 6 7 8

obvious Gravity reference

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Obvious Gravity reference is obvious. lol.

Keep up the numbers project, I yearn to see number eight and it better be a grand finale. I'll hunt you down otherwise.

Third to last stanza, being in the grey. Can't tell you how much I love covering the topic of 'the grey' areas in life. The in-between, I almost feel a sensation of indecision. Don't know what you want, you may never know, and because you won't you'll walk through life feeling purposeless but 'alright'.

Also the end of the relationship union there, the breaking of the tether. Without her there seems to be a lack of emotion, the lack of dark or light. The... numbness of losing a loved one after a break-up can feel. Everything is scheduled... monotonous. Many different interpretations to be had here, and usually my way of saying the work is quite good. Loved it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


At first I didn't understand why you thought she would die this particular way, but then I understood that is because for you that would be the worst way for her today. She wouldn't be in your arms, but she would be in the arms of another, and for you that is the worst. She won't die alone in space, because she has other people out there to take care of her. You aren't in her life, but that doesn't matter, because she will always have others. That is what I got from that piece. I don't know if that is right, but it is what it made me feel, and I wanted to share it with you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I liked the thoughts and places you took me.
"my future isn't as bright or grim
it's the grey in between, history
in progress unsure of the direction
it wants to go with the whole thing

funny, that's the same way"
The above lines. Honest and you left something for the reader to ponder. Thank you Cole for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote
i approach poetry

Posted 7 Years Ago


Working with a shadow ... an invisible friend ... helps in the socialization of the mind ... but it doesn't define knowing. If you want to pin something down ... and achieve your human condition ... you'll need to handle yourself on your own.

Posted 7 Years Ago


The first stanza is very creative. I really like it Can't get much more scheduled than that! The whole piece is outstanding, Cole. Love where your mind goes.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Besides the obvious reference to a very beautiful film, this is my favorite part-

"my future isn't as bright or grim
it's the grey in between, history
in progress unsure of the direction
it wants to go with the whole thing"

We never know what the next day holds, or even the next hour. We are the people that play it by ear, we can't even predict how we're going to feel the next morning when we wake up. Emotions are never definite, neither are our actions when we're lost in our heads. We're a compass caught in the Bermuda Triangle, the arrow is spinning all which ways.

And I admire the way you approach Poetry, i'm loving this numbers project so far!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lol. I did laugh at the broken hip part and moving into the basement that was going to be rented.
I actually know someone who this happened to.

Posted 7 Years Ago


i apologise for the wait - busy life.

this one makes me think and i have nothing more to say that that. it'll take time to digest it, my opinion of it doesn't come as naturally as the others and i'll have to think over what it means to me. there's a nice aura of uncertainty about that, which i really like - thanks :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Another great installment! I enjoyed the Gravity reference and I thought it really made the poem relatable, or at least offers a launch point to go from when trying to understand the poem. I really enjoyed these lines and I like the insight it offers into your work, if it's meant to be taken that way:P

my future isn't as bright or grim
it's the grey in between, history
in progress unsure of the direction
it wants to go with the whole thing
funny, that's the same way
i approach poetry
i'll die in the middle of a poem,
alright

I feel cheap quoting a third of your poem, but honestly it's a passage i read over and over, not because i was confused by it, but because i was intrigued and interested in what it means about your poetry and poetry in general.

it's the grey in between

I think i can see that in your work, It's ambiguous at times, but in a good way, you have a way with giving us the readers the fibrous, hard to chew pieces of life that grind between our teeth slowly, seemingly endlessly. That's the intrigue of your poetry though, you don't always go for the emotional highs or lows, but you're content with writing about the bits in-between and it's the kind of work you can read by the fireplace late at night and contemplate the passing of life, not its meaning. I sincerely enjoy it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Interesting. The end is surprising. I enjoyed overall.
Keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

599 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2016
Last Updated on May 9, 2016
Tags: poem, series, cole hayley, writing, poetry, 5 6 7 8

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


7 7

A Poem by Cole Hayley