Chapter 1: Beginning of a Sister

Chapter 1: Beginning of a Sister

A Chapter by White Rose
"

This is the day of the twins being born.

"
     It's July, the birth of the independence for a day, to be exact. I'm so excited of course what two year old wouldn't be? Fireworks are going off even when you can't even see them, just the noise makes my heart explode with the cracker.  In fact, that is how I am woken up. I sit up in my queen size bed with my barbie doll cover smiling at me in her pink ballerina outfit. My pink walls shining brighter than usual with the sun peering in from my windowsill. Another firecracker explodes and then it hit me, today's Independence Day!  I jump out of my bed and dart out of my room, violently swinging my door open and slamming it shut. My grandparent's Samoyed, Keisha, greets me in the small dark hallway by surprisingly pouncing on me and licking my face as I giggle. Even she gets into the mood of a holiday. I push her off of me and race her into the living which was only straight ahead of us.
     She beats me by a mile, of course, she has four legs and I only have two. My grandfather is outside getting the backyard ready to be presented to the family. My grandmother... where is she? Normally she's in the kitchen cooking everything she can for everyone with all that we have in the house, frequently going to the store to get more stuff giving me the time to sneak some of it to try, but she's not there. I don't pay too much attention since, as I said, she frequently disappears to get more ingredients for the food. I guessed that is where she was. So I run to the back door on the other side of the living room, which isn't so big but humongous to me. I reach for the backdoor knob on my tiptoes, twist it, and pull the door open with all my might. Keisha darts out as quick as she could, knocking me to the side of the door very hard.
     "Ouch Keisha!" I holler out to her in irritation.
     I rebalanced myself and slowly step outside on the cement patio. Even though the air was hot and the backyard is humid, the cement floor is cool below my small and tiny feet.  I close the door and begin to run out to my grandfather who is turning on the riding lawnmower, or the grass-eater as I called it.  He sits down on the seat and then glimpses a sight of me running up to him in my blue Eeyore pajamas.  I could see through my sun blind eyes him smiling at me as I was reaching him at my fastest speed, which is still slow. 
     As I finally reach him he picks me up from under my arms with his more-than-familiar-voice, "Whoa".  I giggle as he sets me on his right knee and tickles my small belly for only a slight minute. He kisses my left cheek and I return it with a kiss on his right.
     "Want to ride with me?" He asks me over the loud roar of the grass-eater.
     "Yeah!" I yell with a big nod.
     He sits further back in the seat and gives me just enough room to sit down like a cowboy on his horse. I place my hands on the face of the lawnmower and settle in.
     "Alright, here we go!" He says as he puts the loud machine into drive.
     We begin at the far left end of the yard and move our way to the right and then up to the front where the backdoor is and back to the far left. We have a rather small pond in the middle of the yard that my grandfather installed just a few years earlier. As we go around in a circle that gets smaller and smaller as we go around, Keisha would run out of our way much sooner than she needs to in a fast dart. This is always a funny sight to me, just to see a big dog scared of a loud grass-eater. We went around my small swing-set also getting the tall grass underneath the swings and seesaws. Although, when we did that, my grandfather wanted me to stand over by the pond and he pointed in a particular spot so I went and stood there. 
     It was only a matter of seconds but I soon realized I couldn't breathe so I ran to my grandfather.
     "Papa, I can't breathe and I hurt and itchy," I say in tears.
     Papa, my grandfather, suddenly turns off the lawnmower and runs up to me. By this time I feel as if I'm going to die. He picks me up and runs over to the garden hose on the porch and hoses me down. I didn't realize it but I was standing on a bed of fire ants and a lot of them had gotten on me and started biting me.  Papa picks me up, I still can't breathe, and takes me inside the cold house. Picks up the phone in the kitchen and begins to call someone.
     Bliiing, bliiiing, blii -
     "Hello?"
I hear my grandma ask on the other side of the phone.
     "Dana, Raven has been bit by fire ants and she's blue. I don't know what to do." Papa explains in almost a frantic.
     "Call an ambulance! She'll be sent here! Call now!"
     Then just like that Papa calls the ambulance and I drift off into a deep dreamless slumber.

*                     *                    *                     *                       *                   *

     A bright light shines down upon me and only good feelings rise up in me.  I see a familiar face appear in front of me.  A beautiful slender Indian woman in her twenties in a caribou outfit with beautiful blue and white beads on the left side above her chest. Her black hair flows beautifully behind her except for a small braid on her left, that hangs down in front of her. She has such a voluptuous body and beautiful curves.  Her eyes were like melted dark chocolate in a small Reese's piece. A big smile crept upon her face and I can tell she is very happy to see me.
     "Howlin' Wolfpup," she says with her smile.
     I knew who that was from anywhere because only one person did I know who would call me by that name, "Gramsie?"
     She nods and holds out both of her arms and I run into them just like I did a year before she died.
     "Wait a second..." I thought to myself and let her go, "You died a year ago. How can I see you?"
     "You are trying to die, Howlin' Wolfpup.  That is why I am here, to stop you from coming to us." Gramsie explains to me.
     "Why? If I was to die, won't I just... die?" I ask her in serious.
     "If it is your time, yes, but now is not YOUR time," she replies.
     "Then, what am I supposed to do?" I ask her confused.
     "Turn around and walk," she says.
     "Will I ever see you again?"
     "When it is your time, you will."
     I bow my head in sadness, "Okay, but... can I have a hug before I go?"
     I look back at her in hopes of at least getting a hug once more.
     "Of course, my sweet Howlin' Wolfpup."
     I smile big and hug her very tightly and she does the same to me. A tear runs down my cheek as a stand hugging her one last time for a long time.
     "Good bye, Gramsie." I say in a hushed voice.
     "Good bye, Howlin' Wolfpup."
     We let each other go, I turn and begin to walk away from her. I turn around to see her seeing me off, even though I want to cry I decide against it and smile and wave instead. She returns the wave and I run away from her, I just needed to get away from her, I just needed to.

*           *          *             *                   *                *                           *               

     I awaken to seeing Mimi, Papa, and a doctor standing over me. Tears are in Mimi and Papa's eyes. I feel really weak and my chest hurts. The doctor checks me over: checks my breathing, my pupils, and my ears.
     "She seems alright now," he says to Mimi and Papa. "You gave us a scare, Miss Raven."
     "Sorry," I said weakly.
     "I'll be back in a while so if anything goes wrong just call my nurse."
     The doctor walks out and closes the door. Mimi and Papa I notice have sat down as the doctor was talking to me and checking me over.  I sat up in the hospital bed. The room was small and the walls were white and blank, the tile was white with dark blue lines. There were only two seats beside the bed on the right, a machine that was hooked up to me was sitting behind the bed, and a small oak nightstand on the left side of the bed.
     "How do you feel, Raven?" Mimi asks me.
     "I feel better." I told her.
     I decided not to tell them that I saw Gramsie so that I don't get weird looks from them. Papa turns to Mimi, "Aren't you going to tell her?"
     "Oh! That's right," Mimi turns to me, "Raven, you're a big sister now." She says in excitement.
     I'm not sure why, but that information just didn't hit me the way it should have.
     "Oh," I say blankly.
     "They're here in the hospital if you want to go see them," Papa says to me.
     "I guess I can," I say.
     "Okay, we talked to the doctor about you seeing them before you tried to die on us.Which, don't you dare do that again."
     "Okay, I'm sorry."
     "You can go."
     So I get out of the bed and walk with Mimi and Papa up to the nursery department. We go down the hall to room 314 and walk in. As I step into the room I see my uncle Donny, my aunt Peggy, my dad all standing and sitting around the bed. I walk closer to the bed and see my mother sitting in it with the covers up to her waist and a small blanket in her arms underneath her voluptuous chest. I get right next to her now and I see a small, fat red baby in her arms.
     "This is your sister Danika, Raven." My mother says to me in a hushed voice.
     "And over there with aunt Peggy is Cassy."
     I stood there, at the side of my mother's hospital bed emotionless, not knowing what to do or say.  I, honestly, thought that they were stealing what I never had: my mother and father. 
     "Do you want to hold her," my mother asked me.
     I look down at her, Danika this little fragile baby in my mother's arms, and wonder if I should say yes or say no.
     "I guess I could," I say.
     Mother moves over a slight to the right and I sit down. She carefully passes Danika over to me and I hold her.
     "Make sure you hold her head, Raven." Dad tells me.
     Not that I care, but my father told me to, I move my arm up more on her head.
     "I'm more than positive that you'll be very happy when they get older so you'll have some children to play with." Mother says.
     I really didn't think so, but I didn't want to ruin their idea of me or the babies, "Yeah, I guess so."  
          
    

       
                         


© 2010 White Rose


Author's Note

White Rose
I hope you like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did like it but it jumped a tad. The main character going to the hospital and then we hear she has is a big sister. A little of a jumpt that you might want to fill with some back story. Over all it was cute and it seems like this child was spoilt but won't be anymore lol. Your writing style is cool and i like the ancient feel in your names.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 22, 2010
Last Updated on February 23, 2010


Author

White Rose
White Rose

Constanta, Dobrogea, Romania



About
When the door to darkness opens up, it'll reveal all that is sad and evil, the hearts of the world will shrivel and die, the heroes will fall and be forgotten, then it'll be up to the people, the.. more..

Writing
I wish I wish

A Poem by White Rose


Voice Voice

A Poem by White Rose


Colors Colors

A Poem by White Rose