The Rippers.

The Rippers.

A Story by Connor
"

Just a short story I wrote a while ago.

"
Torn. Torn flesh. Torn hearts. Torn families. These Rippers are everywhere they shuffle around just waiting for their next meal. Then when the hunger takes hold and they see their target, they run. Some spark deep in their brain gives them the will to run. They move their ragged limbs faster, they become a little stronger, and more aggressive. This is just instinct for them. Their only way to exist? Eat us. They used to be us. USED TO. Now, they're these mindless drones.
Who am I? Doesn't matter, in the end, we all die. Anyways, I've been here for three weeks with my friends. There are only three of us. My friends: Ronan and Rose. Us three have survived this world for two and a half grueling, terrifying weeks. We've just been waiting for someone to find us. Now, I'm not so sure that's gonna happen. We've been trapped in my house for forever it seems. Just eating canned beans and spaghetti-o's. You can only eat something so many times before it gets boring and nearly as repulsive as the rotting flesh surrounding us everyday. I can't stay here any longer! I've got to leave. I can take the gun I have hidden, take some food, and run. I have a car, they won't miss me anyways. We haven't spoken a word since the last time one of us almost got killed.
This was last week. Rose had had the "amazing" idea to try and sunbathe...Sometimes I wonder if she's one of them and doesn't think. She went outside in a bathing suit and just laid on the grass. I noticed her out there before it was too late. They were already swarming towards my house though. I ran outside quickly and forced her inside just as the first zombie reached my yard. What an idiot. Ronan and I asked her why she thought that would work. All we got was a mumble. Then she went and cried for the rest of the day. Women. I have thought that maybe she had a bit of a fever. With three teens trapped in a house without running water, there's no doubt one of us will get sick. After the incident though, she seemed fine. Whatever.
Sometimes I swear I can see them on the roof. We all sleep upstairs and blockade the path up the stairs just in case they get in. I see them shuffle past the window of our room. I promise I do. Are they really agile enough to climb up the walls? I hope not. If one of them got in and killed one of us. There's nothing we could do about it. We have no weapons that we sleep with. If one of us died...that's a scary thought. Ronan has been with me since preschool. He's practically my brother. We had sleepovers almost every night. Rose...Ronan's girlfriend. They've been together since the sixth grade and never left each other's side. She's been admitted into the "brotherhood." I've spent so much time with her that I've fallen in love. I don't care how wrong it sounds to love my brother's girlfriend...It's love. She's amazing. I've been waiting for the day when she discovers she's been with the wrong man for too long. It's never gonna happen though. They're too in love with each other. He's so amazing to her. I can see it in her eyes. Sometimes when we look at each other, I imagine her as a zombie. Rotting flesh, the stench of death, just shuffling around. I hate that she has to live in this world. I wonder if she ever considers suicide like I do. Ronan has admitted that he has. I have...Obviously. He says he won't do it though because it would kill Rose to see him do that. I've though that maybe we could all do it together. Just take the easy way out and not have to care anymore. Rose just doesn't seem like the girl who would do that. I don't know.
It's about three in the morning and the Rippers are hungry. They're banging on the walls and tromping around in the puddles from the rain.
It's.........soothing. It's almost like they play their instruments for me. Their instruments of this decrepit world. The song of the dead is tempting. I want to join them in their symphony of hunger and instinct. Maybe I'll just leave tonight. Take the swift bullet to the head an end it. It puts me in a sort of peaceful trance to think of it. What would Ronan and Rose rink if they saw my dead body? What if I came back as a zombie and killed them both? Agh! I try to stay calm, but I can't. I've got to leave! It's making me crazy. Their moans vibrate my consciousness. It chills me to the bone. It erases all hope. All three of us are already dead anyways. There's no savior coming to rescue us. It's all gone. I'm gonna go. I'll go get my gun. Be right back.
I'm back. I've made out my plan. All the food is in the trunk of my car. I've got this gun. I can leave and find someone. I know I said all hope was lost, but I don't think so anymore. I heard a helicopter. I know I did. Just a few days ago, it was there. I can't believe I let my friends stay here and eat my food anyways. They made living here really risky. Ugh. I hate them! I could've been gone by now if Ronan hadn't convinced Rose to stay.
Her and I had planned an escape, she was going to leave with me...Until she figured out that Ronan was staying. Then she bailed out on me. I hate that man. He stole the love of my life. My parents always liked him better anyways. I wish he'd just shoot himself already. Then Rose could realize her love for me. He needs to be eliminated. But...what would Rose think? I can't have her hating me. Living in fear because of me. I can't take her with me. Her suffering has to end too. I'm gonna do it.
They're gone. I shot Rose first; two times in the head to end her pain quickly. Then Ronan awoke. The fear, confusion, and the PAIN in his eyes. It was the best feeling to see him suffer equally to what my life has been. Then I shot him once. In the stomach. He won't live, but it WILL be painful. Before I left the room, I kissed her. Her lips were still slightly warm. They were a little slick with blood, but it was a kiss nonetheless. Maybe her spirit saw and realized that I truly did love her. I've got to go. I'll leave this iPad here in case someone scavenges through this house. If you find this and read it, I'm most likely already at my safe point. I'm headed to the nearest army base. I have a feeling that they're much better off than me. I'm gone. Bye.

© 2013 Connor


Author's Note

Connor
What are your thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 3, 2013
Last Updated on May 3, 2013
Tags: Zombies, zombie apocalypse, betrayal, inner thoughts, monologue, apocalypse, rose

Author

Connor
Connor

Circleville, UT



About
I just want to improve my writing by tenfold, so I figured here was the best place. more..

Writing
Are You Awake? Are You Awake?

A Story by Connor