Jade of Everen - Chapter One

Jade of Everen - Chapter One

A Chapter by Cousitarian
"

Everyone knows that ignorance is bliss. Nevertheless, how long will that last as threats move through the shadows of the eastern mountains?

"

Chapter One: “The Coming Storm”


It was in the easternmost parts of fabled “Jerome”, in the mountainous realm labeled as “Everen” on the maps and known to those inside as well as outside its borders as such, that one of the worst storms in a long while was currently underway. Throughout the east landscape, it was known by the various Everenians - human or not - that the last of dusk’s light had expired close to an hour ago. Thus, due to this, along with the building clouds hiding away the full moon above, this particular night had to be one of the darkest to have ever come around. However, the darkness wasn’t completely permanent. Every so often, for the span of one second or two, with lightning’s random flashy entrance, the forested mountain ranges of the east that reached desperately high into the clouds towards the dreadful sky were cast into illumination by the whitest of lights. With these occasional flares, for short durations, the true strength along with the deluge of the rainstorm was allowed to be witnessed fully rather than be hidden in the deep shadows created by the weather’s dreadful conditions.


Everywhere throughout the eastward mountains, everything intelligent enough was fleeing for somewhere they could use for shelter from the heavy downpour. Naturally, the humans and others like them had homes to enter to keep dryly safe. As for animals, they were not as fortunate. Deer desperately tried their best to find shelter beneath the dripping leafy canopies of the trees. Amid the tall grasses available, insects held their positions to try to avoid being drowned. Squirrels scaled the tree trunks before ducking swiftly into their holes. Rabbits, mice, and other small woodland creatures scattered to where they were most comfortable which included shrubs, burrows, so on. Nonetheless, there was one unlucky native creature of Everen that, no matter how hard it tried, couldn’t find anywhere comfortable during the course of the near typhoon; the king of the birds, the “Phoenix”.


Further east, on a limb overhanging the drenched forest lands, rested a lone but mighty phoenix male that had the brightest plumage of crimson, quartz, along with gold. At the moment, though, the bird of interest didn’t really live up to his fabled reputation. Rather than appearing to be proud on his branch as expected, he actually looked rather miserable. Well, when being such a fiery bird like himself in the middle of one of the worst storms to hit Everen, when continuously preferring to be dry above all things and being soaked instead, why wouldn’t he be in a foul mood? Literally being a humble beast of living fire like every phoenix of Everen, being as intelligent as a human, he didn’t exactly favor the idea of being caught in a hurricane like such. Thus, when sensing the storm before its arrival, he, like his brethren, departed for a region he thought was safe from the coming rains. However, clearly… that didn’t really work out as predicted.


From nowhere to add insult to his already awkward situation, a mass of rainwater that had collected on the jumble of overhead leaves became too heavy and were suddenly deposited upon the already uncomfortable phoenix male who stiffened. For a moment, as he realized what had just happened to make him very much colder, the phoenix didn’t twitch nor squawk or do anything. He simply contemplated on how utterly crazy this entire occasion was being to him. How could he, the king of birds along with flame, not have avoided this rainstorm? How had he gotten himself into such an embarrassing ordeal? For the first time in his ancient life, since being born in ash hundreds of years ago, he was wet, wet, wet!


At thinking about himself being saturated, the phoenix lost control. Allowing his built up misery, discomfort, along with bewilderment, to get the better of him, he called upon his powers to express his conflicted soul. Giving a sharp screech unlike his usual song like voice, extending his wide wings outwards too, he ignited his regal form with flames while cursing the sky; for surely, due to its bad attitude, the sky did indeed deserve a curse! The phoenix next released a rough shockwave into his surroundings which startled the nearby creatures from where they were trying to stay dry too. Oh, there were so many delectable rabbits, squirrels, deer, plus more that appeared in fright afterwards. However, the enraged phoenix couldn’t give chase because he was too weighed down by the shower! At this, remaining on fire while looking down at the game that was showing from the environment, he angrily cursed the heavens again with another shrill scream!


The duration of the phoenix’s tantrum towards the raging rainstorm lasted as long as a candle held out into the wind unprotected. Against the chilly darkness, much like a lantern, his bright form gleamed for no longer than a minute. Already weakened by the moist climate, he couldn’t keep up his powers for any longer than that. Gradually, in a great cloud of steam, the dancing blazes on his body died down against the endless rains until fading away altogether. When giving in to defeat shortly after this, the phoenix grimly resumed showing his disapproval of his position in silence. As he did, his mind began going over a certain subject that had become a headache for him. Dozens of times he had asked himself before but, again, he needed to ask; what was the explanation for this weather? How could it have gotten him, maybe the rest of his kind too, unawares?


As the Everenians - from the vile “Goblins” to the wise “Elves” plus more, they were all considered Everenians - spoke of, the phoenix knew that storms such as the one currently venting were not to arrive until into the middle of the hot “Sun Season”, also known as the season that the majority of everyone across Jerome enjoyed most. During the Sun Season, after having done the practice hundreds of times, the miserable phoenix was well aware that his kind migrated further north to avoid the incoming hurricanes that came in from the eastern ocean. However, presently, he had just returned from the always warm south - from the summer lands of “Floronce” that belonged to the “Elves” - since the unfavorably snowy “Slumber Season” had just ended. Thus, the year was hardly into the “Rebirth Season” now where the trees regained their leaves and color returned to everything again. So, if it was currently the Rebirth Season, - not the Sun Season - why in Jerome was there a storm of such ferocity hitting the mountains? Not only that but why was it blowing in from the northern parts? That was ridiculous!


Yes, the storm’s direction was heading southwards - from the northern lands - when, usually, it went westwards - from the east sea - into the mainland until fading. What could be the explanation for that? With further thinking, the phoenix suddenly came to a conclusion. Was the making of this typhoon due to the gods? If so, then the barbaric northern people of men, the “Nordics” of “Vallan”, were to blame for all of this! No, not them but their warlike deities, especially “Odin”, who caused these kinds of things over the littlest personal arguments! Didn’t they ever give it a break up there? Well, if they couldn’t then they should at least keep their own storms at home like the luminous elf goddess, “Eve”, did! Yet, when obviously being pillagers, vikings weren’t good at considering others’ wants.


Now when thinking about it, the miserable phoenix realized the northern regions of Everen weren’t popular spots to ever visit. In fact, the only good reason his species ever ventured there was to avoid rainstorms. Yes, phoenixes were willing to endure barbarian warriors rather than be wet. That’s how much they hated water. Yet, after agreeing on this fact of despising water, the phoenix realized he wasn’t in either the southern elf territories nor in the northern nord realms. He was in between them which was… where? Who owned these lands?


Ah, correct. This mid province belonged to a newly come folk. Who were they? Right, the “Kristia” who, honestly, were not that bad. Since they had originated 150 years ago across Jerome, they could be as savage as the nordics but be as peaceful as the elves too. In short, they could be like any of the other Everenian races. As for their god, the wandering “All Father”, he was likable enough. Anyway, while enduring the present storm, the phoenix could now confirm he was undoubtedly in the neutral kristia lands, "Sanctuary", where he occasionally got shot at by a bowman but not always. He didn’t really have to keep his guard up here. He was fine. Most times, anyway. Not now, though, with everything sopping wet.


Once more, from above in the treetops, a waterfall of leafy rainwater cascaded downwards onto the phoenix who snapped his sharp beak skyward in an increasing temper! If he was in a kristia realm then why didn’t their deity do anything about this foul weather? Why didn’t this All Father figure clear it right up? Didn’t he have the power?


The phoenix’s inquiry about the kristia’s wandering god went unanswered as, from nowhere, a fearsome gale of winds heading south blasted through the forest! Barely did the phoenix keep his grip on his perch in time of the gusts that hit him from the front! Letting out a shrill cry of surprise, he folded himself into as narrow a position he could to avoid being carried off by the unnatural squall. On the forest floor below him, from the shrubs, the littlest forest creatures were thrown through the air with the uprooted plants! When on their feet, they tried to run back into their hideaways. However, their attempts were in vain when another fierce gust blasted them through the open air again!


This was madness! In response to his situation, the phoenix let out a screech that was deafened by the strong winds whipping past him. Those same winds hitting him kept throwing the little woodland beasts across the ground, making deer stumble about, and made the squirrels’ trees bend until creaking when on the breaking point! A third gale shrieked through the phoenix’s portion of forest! He held on with all of his strength but, meanwhile, something made him gain a feeling of foreboding. Although blinded at the moment, he wasn’t at the same time. Having a strong sixth sense since birth that let him, his species, predict ill comings, he could sense everything presently going on around him. Without his eyes, he noticed the forest floor was covered in rolling rabbits, mice, hedgehogs, that the deer were tripping and trees were being uprooted. However, only one thing, a truly awesome force skyward, attracted his focus from all else.


Momentarily, the force came from ahead one second, then passed over where the gales roared through in its wake. In curiosity, while getting through the bursts of winds slamming into him, the phoenix amid the thrashing limbs took his chance to look upwards through the dark towards where the rains poured. As he did this, lightning flashed. For a second alone, against the shadows of the night, the phoenix’s sharp eyesight caught something - a massive form - unlike any he’d ever seen fly overhead past his location. The indistinguishable object wasn’t any of the phoenix’s kin nor anything he’d seen in his very long lifetime. Shockingly, he sensed the thing gave off the most horrible feeling of malice, of evil. Then, something occurred to him.


The storm itself and the sudden gales transpiring were separate things. True, he was aware that the power of the rainstorm was ferocious but the newly arrived, random gusts hitting him along with all else surrounding him was the power, the cause, of something else, of the passing evil mystery overhead, entirely!


The phoenix, after learning of the malice that had recently passed over him, had to change his opinion on the kristia territory. With such a strange evil present, this area of Everen he was in was no longer safe. He had to depart! Yet, no… being too heavy with wet feathers, he couldn’t even think about flying! So, he had to remain calm and not become the focus of the attention of the airborne abomination he’d felt. Otherwise, for certain, this storm would be the last thing he would experience. Evidently, the evil hadn’t felt him as he did it or maybe it wasn’t interested in him. Otherwise, it would have come for him in an instant. So, if he remained immobile, he would hopefully be fine. Nevertheless, the evil in the sky wasn’t done bringing sudden gales along and the next round, after flying past a fourth time, it knocked the cautious phoenix out of his perch to the forest floor littered with debris!


Unable to contain his dismay at being thrown from his branch - which had broken in the winds - the phoenix let out a shrill yelp. Luckily, that was quieted by the roar of the strong squalls passing by him and, with an experienced unfolding of his wings, he landed upon the soaked earth on his feet! Naturally, the slimy ground wasn’t much more of a pleasant place for him to be than in the whipping trees. However, he was willing to remain there as long as the evil abomination above was nearby. As long as he sensed that cold feeling of malice in the heavens, the phoenix was no better than any other forest animal in the storm. He, like they, was hiding himself away to not only stay dry now but remain alive.


As lightning flashed and thunder cried, the evil thing that soared overhead circled around several more times after knocking the phoenix to the ground. Each time it came about, as the phoenix expected, a powerful gale followed its trail through the woodland. What was the unknown malice’s reason for doing this? Was it, perhaps, searching for something? It seemed to be that way until, at long last, the vile force’s presence seemed to fade away as it headed in the northern direction. For several moments afterwards, nothing stirred. Then, with relief, the fire bird shook himself in order to get over his anxiety along with dampness. For a minute, since one threat had passed, he actually didn’t mind the rain but was glad to be alive. Nonetheless, he was on the ground which wasn’t suitable for a bird of his stature. Him being down came with its dangers and, quickly, those presented themselves to him in the forms of predators other than the flying malice earlier.


The first signs of trouble to show themselves to the downed phoenix, who was trying to get dry enough to at least get into the air, were that little animals were frantically passing by his talons without fear of him. Usually, the beasts remained out of his range. Not this time, though. They had a good reason to run past him and, ominously, their purposes in fleeing showed themselves from the nearby billowing plant life. Three predators - named “Panzers” by the locals and native only to Everen like the phoenix taking notice of them - stepped into the clearing with intentions to find themselves a meal. The hunters in question about to assault the grounded bird were very exotic creatures. They were very feline styled. Being reptile, though, they were not entirely cats. As large as tigers with leathery skin, wedge shaped heads framed by gray feathered manes at their necks, slender tails as well as deadly claws, the trio of panzers were lethal enough for the handicapped fire bird who, being wet, wasn’t in any condition to fight for his survival. Did this stop his enemies? Not at all.


Being damp restricted the phoenix’s powers. However, they weren’t eliminated altogether and, trying to bluff his way out of a fight, the king of birds called on what strength he had to ignite himself again before the panzers who snarled in reply. With his wings outstretched again, his head looking to the heavens, the phoenix hopefully posed. The three lizards watching him retreated  back when seeing their prey put on such a display of strength. However, their bold leader wasn’t convinced and it prepped to attack its blazing game. Mind, even though able to revive from their ashes, phoenixes could perpetually die. They could fight against death their hardest, like now, but they could die for good just as easily as anything else in the world of Jerome. Thus, if it had the chance, the leading panzer lizard of the pack could kill the bluffing phoenix. If it had the chance. However, just as it got ready to pounce, the reptile was interrupted when an arrow smacked cleanly into its skull from the shadows to the right!


Finally, some good fortune had come for the phoenix who, in complete shock, witnessed his bold predator be killed in the swift shot of an arrow! As for the other two remaining panzers, they were not as confident as their leader and, at seeing the first sign of trouble, they bolted back into the bushes from whence they came. This left their confused prey alone whom, with his arcane strength spent, released the grip he had on his available fire magic. Steaming in the shadows, he stayed immobile while observing how accurately the arrow shaft had penetrated his reptile foe’s skull. Uncertainty took a hold of him. If the king of birds was to move at all, who was to say he wouldn’t end up shot too? Not a pleasant thought. Even so, as he stayed motionless, his acute senses picked up something else that made him feel even more curious as well as a bit alarmed.


There was a conscious coming towards the phoenix. It was hard for the fire bird to confirm this but, yes, something was coming his way! Not just one but several now! There was a group of figures, five of them, coming in his direction! What to do? He couldn’t fly, he couldn’t fight, he couldn’t do anything but worriedly wait for whatever to get to him and… then what would happen next wasn’t clear. How ironic that nothing about tonight leading up until now was clear either. Even so, against the odds, more good luck came to the grounded king of birds when what he sensed made itself seen from the shrubs to the right. It was a humanoid figure, a young man, garbed in a heavy cloak with his hood up.


“Ah, just in time, was I?” He casually said to the wary phoenix over the storm’s howls along with pattering of the rain while kneeling beside his recent panzer kill. After an examination of his reptile prize as well as getting his arrow from its head, the newcomer looked to the silent fiery bird to smile a reassuring smile while he asked, “How do you fare, your grace?”


At this question directed to the phoenix, the phoenix male actually recognized such respectful talk. It came to him, to his kind overall, from the south in the elf realms; from the elves! Was this stranger an elf, then? No, he couldn’t be. There was none of his kind this far north. However, that was proven wrong when the polite newcomer pulled away his hood to bow his head. Without the hood, the stranger’s pointy ears could be seen. So, the phoenix surprisingly found he had been saved by an elf after all. How unlikely! What was one of the serene southern folk of summer doing here?


When having finished with his salutations to the wet phoenix - for centuries, it had been customary for elves to respect any phoenix they met - the elf who had done the saving quickly hid his face back under the cloak’s hood to keep from getting any wetter than necessary. Then, with that finished, he said, “You had best get off the ground to avoid any more hostilities, your majesty. Here, allow me to help you in that regard.” With that, the phoenix was offered an arm by the elf which the fiery bird accepted.


Both person and animal currently working together in the rainy dark had no need to fear each other. They shared an ancient, friendly bond made by their ancestors of old that had existed to that very moment. It was only right that, even though in such an unlikely situation, that an elf help a phoenix in need. If it were the other way around, it would be required that the phoenix help the elf, after all.


When lifted aloft into the air, at the proper elevation, the king of birds shook himself to lessen his weight. Then, when spotting a good enough limb for himself, he leapt forth off of his elf companion to successfully land among the tree branches. Once there, eternally grateful for the assistance, the phoenix turned to his helper and performed his own bow. Thrilled, the elf that had come from nowhere performed another bow while he said over the storm’s sounds, “You are very welcome, your highness. You would have certainly done the same for me.” That was true. Then, the elf seemed to focus onto something behind him to shout out, “Friends! This way seems preferable! There is a phoenix here!”


So, he wasn’t alone? He had company which, within seconds, appeared from the dark to join him.


Four figures came from the shadows to join the obliging elf that had called. At once, the phoenix knew the new arrivals were the other persons in the forest he’d sensed when grounded. Were they more elves? Probably, as uncanny as it was, they were. Utterly bewildered at the thought, the bird of fire ignored the rain to investigate why there were humans or elves or such traveling through this forest of Everen when most were in their homes staying comfortably dry. As he did, some riddles ran through the phoenix’s mind. For one, why were there elves in kristia territory rather than Floronce? Secondly, who was their fifth companion? The one in many animal cloaks, holding a walking staff, with a raven on his or her shoulder; who was that? It couldn’t be a nordic… or could it? Yes, the fifth was a viking of Vallan! What in Jerome was going on here? The phoenix was seeing elves with a barbarian of the north? This night just kept bringing along surprise after surprise!


As the phoenix tried to get over his astonishment, the five figures below him began anxiously talking amongst themselves. Thus, he focused onto their words to truly understand what was going on. Throughout the conversation’s course, his eyes stayed on the elf who had helped him out of the recent tight spot as well as on the viking dressed heavily in animal pelts. They were the most interesting of the bunch gossiping. As for the other three party members, all holding regal bows, they looked to where the phoenix rested glumly. Out of everyone present, it was the nord who spoke first.


“A phoenix caught in this weather?” With that said, the viking - who seemed to be a woman underneath the hooded garments, judging by the sound of her voice - turned to the young elf who had helped the phoenix and went on, “You say that such a sight is a good omen, Evenall? I admit that a phoenix is indeed, usually, a promising sight but this… this proud creature is no longer proud. It’s just as much miserably caught in this furious storm crafted by Loki as we are. It, like us, is unable to decide what to do.”


At this statement, the phoenix in the tree took an immediate disliking to the barbarian woman. Her people, the northerners, were all the same. They had no respect to give to anything. Sure, the fiery bird wasn’t feeling his best. He was soaked but, in the least, the group looking at him should show their awe rather than humiliate him more. In the least, the respectful elf, “Evenall”, seemed to feel this way. He gestured towards the wet phoenix while protecting its honor rather than insulting it more, “Not so, Agatha, and watch your tongue! The phoenix is a bird of the goddess, Eve, so show some respect! Anyway, this might be a hint to go this way.”


The nordic maid with the raven on her shoulder, “Agatha”, remained unmoved. She waved towards the fiery bird who, if not so weak, would have loved to shut her up when she quarreled, “Oh, please. We have no help here, Evenall. Your goddess’s bird there is doused by Loki’s mischievous rains. Therefore, is it not plain? We’re on our own and you can’t tell me otherwise.”


“By the goddess, nord,” Evenall snapped back, obviously getting sick of the rudeness towards his beliefs in the nearby fire bird, “what is your point by introducing such negativity? This is the first good sign we’ve received all night since we got out of reach of the enemy to the east and this thunderstorm began! I’m not going to let you ruin it!”


“There’s nothing to ruin, Evenall, because there’s nothing here! That phoenix, a bird of your goddess, isn’t one to be caught in storms. It’s smarter than that. So, if that bird is in this mess with us, this weather isn’t natural. It’s the work of Loki who has cut out all other influence from the gods in Everen! By bringing about this dreadful weather, he’s handicapped us and that phoenix is proof of his success against us!”


What an argument. What a debate. It occurred to the wearily observing phoenix that there was one elf man, an impressive specimen among the present others, wandering about as if on lookout. What was that bowman doing? Scouting? As the strange elf searched for whatever, Evenall said nearby, “We have no aid from the gods, you say? How is that? How in Everen, Jerome, did you accomplish the task of getting the enemy’s heavily guarded treasure from them then? How have we made it this far?”


At this, Agatha lectured, “You know the answer to that, already. I, we, got the treasure through our cunning and ability. Through our efforts alone, not the gods, we have made it this far into the mission. You elves have become much too dependent on believing that everything you do is due to the blessings of your goddess. However, you should be more confident in yourselves. Mortals are quite capable of handling their dilemmas without the constant permission of the immortals.” Instead of rallying them, this input seemed to upset the remainder of the party; the other elves.


“By Eve’s will,” Evenall hissed out, actually arming himself with an arrow, “you will not insult the goddess with your blasphemy, Agatha Windwhisper! You will not speak another foul word about her or my arrow will-”


“Will what, Evenall? Silence the truth of this matter? The truth of Jerome that is to come? The gods cannot last forever. Nothing can.”


“BY EVE’S WILL, AGATHA! YOU WILL SHUT UP OR-”


“That’s enough from the both of you! Now!” This exclamation that clearly rang through the storm’s sounds came from a third source; from the impressive elf who the phoenix had noticed had been scouting. He had shouted for Agatha and Evenall to cease their bickering and, when seeing them ready to fight, he approached them.


He pushed away Evenall’s weapon next, who already looked ashamed, while saying aloud, “We’ve come too far for this ridiculous behavior! Everen is at risk and here we find ourselves blaming one another for this crisis like the rest? Like children? Evenall, you surprise me! You too, Agatha! Not in a century due to our rivalries have vikings or elves had anything to do with one another… However, because of what is coming, that’s changed. Together, we have come this far. Continue to ignore hate and accept fellowship. That is how we have succeeded thus far.”


At once, the phoenix admired the older elf’s - the one with power among his peers it seemed - words. The commanding elf got an apology out of Evenall at once. It took some time for Agatha to admit her own and, when she did, she noted, “I am not being a nuisance, my lord Gemflo. I am simply being a realist as well as following my instincts. Without them, we would not be here. I guarantee you that.”


The commanding elf who had stopped the argument, “Lord Gemflo” it seemed, turned to his nordic companion at her serious words. He observed her for a long second before saying his own mind, “That might be true, Agatha. However, you have your ways in the north as my kin have their ways in the south. If you truly are devoted to the survival of your folk as well as Everen, if you want this alliance between our peoples to remain, if you actually listened to the words of the summer queen, “Seraveena”, you will be respectful always to your friends as they are to you. Whether you like it or not is not an option.” To the phoenix’s surprise, at being told off, Agatha nodded her head in complete understanding rather than, like her nord brethren, argue on.


“Yes, my lord Gemflo. I remember queen Seraveena’s words, of course.” She said.


The name “Seraveena” kept being repeated and it struck the phoenix overhead funny how it seemed familiar to him. Suddenly, he knew of whom it referred to! It was the title of the ruler of the elf south lands also known as the summer queen; the elf queen herself! Instantly in respect, though he had met her only several times, the phoenix bowed in his branches to the memory of Seraveena and the elves noticed his actions. Smugly, Evenall made a note of it in Agatha’s direction.


“At least someone knows where to be quiet and be in awe. The queen deserves such treatment, as does the goddess, even when not present. The nords could take a note from the phoenix here.”


Agatha eyed her tormentor, ready to smartly argue back. However, Gemflo beat her to the ball by saying firmly, “That’s enough of that, Evenall! Agatha is well aware of where her allegiance as well as respects are required without your thoughtless remarks. Just as well, she is right about our current situation…” Gemflo next looked to the drenched phoenix as he explained his thoughts, “I feel the same as Agatha about what’s going on. Seeing a phoenix stuck in the same storm we’re in isn’t exactly comforting. True, I feel heartened to see a bird of the goddess here with us,” He noted at Evenall’s bemused expression, “however, it cannot be as it seems. Like Agatha made clear, the summer queen also said before my departure into this mission that our company might be going without the aid of our deities. Seraveena sensed a force might keep us from receiving holy aid.”


At this, Evenall seemed to blank up. He looked around through the rain while he wondered, “Wait, my lord… are you actually suggesting that the goddess isn’t with us at the moment?”


“She never was with us.” Agatha answered firstly.


At this, lord Gemflo silenced his companions. Once having everything quiet, he clarified for everyone, “Yes, Evenall. Due to Loki, I believe we’re currently alone but do not fret. This group has certainly proven its worth by surviving alone in hostile zones. As I hoped when selecting the members for this company, what we’ve done so far has been due to our skills as well as incredible luck. Throughout our journey, due to the enemy, we have had no aid from any god or goddess. At seeing this doused phoenix, that much is now confirmed to me. However, if we’ve come this far then we are capable of making it the rest of the way on our own.” With that said, he decisively turned to the viking maid, “So, enough standing around and wasting the precious little time we have. Agatha, the mission? Is it secure?”


At the odd request, as the phoenix above watched, the nordic woman among the elves seemed to purposefully dig into her cloak. For several seconds, she searched for something among the garbs in the cradle of her left arm. Finally, the fire bird noticed her produce a most curious object from her clothes for her companions to see. The item Agatha showed off was something like a shiny round stone, as big as a fully grown pumpkin, colored leaf green. It was very pretty in the eyes of the observant phoenix. However, that wasn’t what entranced him. What did was, oddly, he sensed something coming off of the revealed object; a "lively" energy. Did that mean the thing was alive? What did that mean? However, before he could answer that for himself, Agatha hid the stone back into her garments.


“The mission is safe, my lord.” She next said. To the phoenix’s disappointment, she didn’t look like she was going to get the “mission” item out again. How very curious a thing it had been.


“Very good.” Lord Gemflo acknowledged, truly showing pride at being back on the right course despite the odds, “As for what we’re going to do next, my friends… I want to believe in Evenall’s words that, by some miracle of the goddess’s, this phoenix is pointing us in the right direction.” He gestured towards the sloping landscape that lay behind the phoenix at this, towards the west, “Therefore, we go that way.” This, rather than make them feel confident, seemed to make the rest of the group have more questions.


“You realize we’ll be going that way because we, as mortals, choose to.” Agatha stated.


“That is most likely true.” Gemflo replied, “However, it is a decision I am willing to agree on with or without the goddess’s guidance. Without any gods’ guidance, for that matter.”


“Very well, my lord. Also, another question. You do realize that your chosen direction will take us further into kristia territory, correct?”


When hearing this from her, the elf noble in charge of the dire mission looked to his nordic ally. He knew what she was getting at by being worried over going into a kristia realm. Recently, for good reason, her folk weren’t exactly welcome in such lands. The nords and kristia weren’t friends at the current moment. Nonetheless, as they had so far, Gemflo had confidence that things would work out.


“The kristia are not a people interested in revenge, Agatha. They never have been. As for what occurred at their capitol between your folk and them was over five years ago. Since then, they’ve kept to themselves rather than seek blood.” He said bravely, regardless of being unsure of what to expect to come, “Even so, if worse comes to worse, you have the protection of this company. Still, let us pray it doesn’t come to that. The elves have enough problems without making the kristia their enemies and I think the same can be said for the kristia too. They have enough trouble already. More than most can say. Thus, if they see us, they won’t bother us.”


This was little reassurance for the northern maiden to find comfort in. Nevertheless, for the sake of the mission in the cradle of her left arm, she seemed to rid herself of her nervousness and got a better grip on what she was holding when she said, “As you say, lord Gemflo. I was merely making sure you were aware of the risks you were making by continuing to venture westwards rather than south.”


“We know the risks of going south, Agatha… They are more deadly than the ones we would be taking by passing through what is in the west. At least if we go westward, we have a littler of a chance of running into him tonight.” Who was this “him” mentioned so ominously? The phoenix didn’t learn of the answer to that when Gemflo abruptly ordered, “Evenall! You take point and make sure the way is clear of the enemy. We might have made it this far but we can’t be too careful.” Right there, Gemflo’s company’s supposed good luck had just run out.


Suddenly, the once quiet raven upon Agatha’s shoulder began squawking with a frantic passion! It’s uproar made the group around him cringe and, coldly, the nordic woman grabbed the beak of her pet to cut him off at once. “Flannen!” She spat, gritting her teeth, “You want to bring misfortune upon us, you fool?” Unknown to her, misfortune had already come and it was only after more squawking from her crow, “Flannen”, that she realized it. As Agatha registered that something was coming to ruin the success in her party’s mission, she wasn’t the only one.


In the trees, the phoenix had become motionless when recognizing what Flannen was becoming so anxious about. A familiar presence the fire bird formerly dreaded earlier was returning. From the north, speedily nearing at an incredible rate, the evil malice was coming back! Why? There was no time to discuss or solve that riddle. The abomination of the sky was nearing and, in apprehensive silence, the phoenix made himself as small as possible to avoid attention. As for the group below him, they were becoming tense as Agatha interpreted the rushed words of her raven partner, “Slow down, you feathered rat! Slow down! What are you-”


“Caw caw caw! Caw caw!” Flannen interrupted, madly flapping.


“You say that… something is coming? From where?”


“Caw!”


“North?”


“Caw caw caw!”


“No, it can’t… Flannen, you are sure?”


Not waiting for an answer from the crow, Gemflo investigated the matter that Agatha was trying to decipher for everyone, “What is Flannen saying, Agatha? What’s going on?” It seemed the nordic maid was against answering that question but she gravely did anyway.


“Flannen says he feels something coming from the north.”


“Does he?”


“Yes and… the something is coming straight for us, my lord.”


“My lord Gemflo! Look!” After his shocked exclamation, Evenall pointed out to everyone the fearful phoenix at his perch. When seeing this, lord Gemflo’s expression paled. Adding Flannen’s abrupt behavior to the equation, the elf in charge seemed to understand something the huddling phoenix couldn’t but would soon enough.


Feeling nothing, Gemflo quickly whirled around to look through the terrible weather towards where he knew was north. Could he sense the abomination nearing? No, he could not but it seemed he could guess what was approaching for he drew arrows from his quiver. As he did, he purposefully glanced to Agatha. “He’s coming for the mission… isn’t he?” Gemflo inquired from the viking woman. There it was again; that ominous “Him” mentioned earlier.


“What? Who’s coming?” Evenall asked. He was cut off by his commander who held up a hand.


There was a silence. Then, Agatha answered, “Yes, my lord. He is.”


“Then,” Gemflo irrefutably said while feeling a familiar adrenaline fill him with an energy only a coming battle could bestow upon him, “you know what to do, Agatha.” There was another tense quiet between everyone. Then, with good speed, the nord maid sprinted through the mud towards the west. As she streaked under the phoenix, he couldn’t help but watch her go. He understood her reason for fleeing. Who would want to face the coming evil malice? In fact, it was nearly upon the group. Already, ahead of its approach, there seemed to be a fierce gale coming!


“Hey!” Evenall roared when seeing Agatha bolt away, not knowing how exactly to react, “What’s going on? My lord, why are we letting her leave with the mission?”


“She has her duty, Evenall of Cerule of Floronce.” Was Gemflo’s response, “You, we, now have ours.” The elf commander of the company prepped three arrows into his impressive bow. Then, while yelling out, he aimed the projectiles northward in readiness for whatever was approaching, “Prepare yourselves, my friends! Loki’s child comes for our tide turner! After the sacrifices we’ve made to come this far, will we let him have it?” At this exclamation, weapons were drawn. Evenall who, shifting from being confused to loyal in a blink, readied an arrow of his own. The two elves alongside him spread out, prepared their own arrow shafts, and waited for their fate.


Mind, the phoenix watching from above knew of the pact his kind had with the pointy eared folk. He was aware that it had been a deep bond established hundreds of years ago. However, being completely soaked, he couldn’t do anything for the elves who seemed intent on facing down the coming evil but respect their bravery. Bracing himself, the phoenix definitely saw the gusts of wind of the abomination coming now. In dread, animals scattered from their hiding places in the opposite direction. Nonetheless, following the example of their leader, the elves didn’t back down at the sight of the powerful winds. They, instead, joined in shouting with Gemflo when he cried out to rally them.


“If this is to be our end, fellows, remember your vows before the summer queen! Remember your vows for your kingdom! Remember to not be afraid to leave this world and meet the goddess! Remember!”


The winds were picking up. The animals were running. The forest was stirring.


“We are the light in the dark, friends! We are the swords and shields of our kingdom!”


The winds were roaring. The animals were fumbling. The forest was shaking.


“We will not let the enemy win this night! Everen will remain free of their tyranny!”


The winds were too powerful. The animals were falling over themselves. The forest was thrashing about. The evil abomination had arrived.


“Be brave, elves! Be proud! Nidhogg comes for us!”


The winds were catastrophic. The animals, the elves too, were laid out flat. The forest was exploding into wooden splinters and, through the bursting tree trunks ahead, a gigantic monstrous form was speeding forth from the shadows to come in for a landing! What, by the gods, was this thing coming from the darkness of the storm? What power it had!


Unable to hold on like he wanted to, the phoenix was forced off of his perch to plummet backwards down onto the sloped ground underneath him. He rolled on impact until coming to stop as the strong winds died. So, close was the evil malice now! It was practically everywhere! Due to this, feeling too paralyzed with fright, the grounded phoenix remained still. For what seemed like eternity, he heard only the patter of rain along with rustle of plants. Then, from uphill, there was a sound something similar to thunder. However, it definitely wasn’t thunder. Literally, it was the roar of something unnatural. It was the roar of what had come for the elves; “Nidhogg”.


More sounds, the sounds of battle, followed the roar that could’ve easily been mistake for thunder. The elves had clearly engaged whatever the evil malice was and, in a flash along with screams, two of their strong essences vanished as an inferno blasted from nowhere into sight. To the phoenix’s dread, as trees were ignited by the fires, he realized that two of the elves had just died. There was more battling for several more seconds, another pained scream from an elf, a roar of the abomination, Nidhogg, then silence commenced again. One more life essence against the evil remained for the hiding phoenix to sense. How long would that last, though? It turned out to not be long when, squealing, the last elf bodily flew past downhill and roughly into several trees like a ragdoll! It came as no surprise that, due to the force, the elf’s lively energy immediately disappeared upon impact with the first tree trunk.


With the battle done in less than a minute, all that was left to be sensed was the abomination which was radiating with anger more than ever. It seemed that slaughtering the elves wasn’t enough for it. It needed something more and, with another roar, it smashed through the woodlands past the hidden phoenix in Agatha’s direction. Feeling his heart racing, the fire bird made himself as small as possible when he witnessed a mammoth sized creature plow its way over him and through the nearby trees. Being burly, large, as well as menacing enough, the abomination ignored the many splinters of wood it made around it. It ignored everything, really, including the cowering phoenix. When finally gone crashing westwards, leaving a trail of destruction behind it, the malice left the fiery bird to regain control of itself. When able to, knowing it was safe for the moment, the king of birds investigated whom had been thrown into the trees. Who it was wasn’t good. The victim made the phoenix’s heart literally break.


The elf that had smashed into the trees had been helpful Evenall. With some of his limbs, including his neck, bent improperly, he was beyond any healing help the phoenix could’ve provided. Evenall, the respectful, was dead and his companions uphill were clearly just as lifeless. They had definitely been brave to face such a gruesome fate as this. If only bravery could save the worthy. However, now, there was no discussing the matter. They were gone, fated to not return to the southern summer province. At the thought of this, the phoenix began to cry steaming tears. He had been helped by the elves. Look at him now. He hadn’t helped them. True, he couldn’t have but he should’ve done more than cower while those his ancestors swore to help were massacred by… whatever that evil was! Wet, miserable, a failure, the phoenix continued to weep over Evenall as well as in the scene of destruction around him.


There was so much wrong with this night. First, there had been the unusual storm and now this. What could be done about it? Yes, wait, what could be done?


Abruptly, the phoenix recalled that not all was lost for the recently deceased elves! There was still the nord, Agatha, who had fled beforehand! However, would she survive tonight? The abomination seemed to be going after her. What was the evil after? Regardless, if the fire bird was going to go after Agatha, he would be trailing the evil malice too. Nevertheless, having been awoken by the sight of the dead elves, he firmly set aside his cowardice. It was true, he was soaking wet. He had no powers to speak of but, sticking with his ancient duty to the elves’ memories, he had to do something to see that they didn’t die in vain this way. He had to help Agatha!


Really, he had no idea what was going on, what his meddling could do. Nonetheless, he needed to be the phoenix he was! Not be a sparrow!


Not forgetting his respects to the elves that had tried to halt evil’s progress for even a little, the phoenix extended his wings over the motionless form of Evenall in the rain. He did this not only for the elf that had helped him survive the panzers but for the other dead too. For a long moment, the fire bird remained in his pose. Then, with a shake, he stepped upon Evenall and launched through the rainy air forward to glide as best he could before landing. Intent on catching up to Agatha, following the path of debris through the broken trees ahead, he glided in little spans this way downhill to the west. The malice’s presence grew stronger with every passing second. Ignoring that, the phoenix did not know what awaited him ahead. He only hoped he wasn’t too late in acting honorably. Finally, the ground leveled out until, next, he made his way through a thick collection of shrubbery unto a river where evil’s radiation was strongest and… was engaging the viking maiden!


For the first time that night, the evil abomination, “Nidhogg”, could be seen clearly. As for what it was, that couldn’t be said rightly because its kind hadn’t been seen in the mountains for generations! Not since the nords had arrived. The evil creature’s form was massive, reptilian, as well as shaded as black as the shadows all around. It loomed over the nord woman it assaulted and with a maw of razor teeth in its wedge shaped, horned head framed by a mane of thick fur, a body reinforced with scales, a long bladed tail, four mighty wings, blood red eyes, along with sharp claws, the monster outdid its prey in ever regard for battle.


Now, to the phoenix, it was no mystery as to how the elves had been defeated so quickly earlier. He understood that their opponent had been a “dragon” which was much too powerful for anything available. If dry, the phoenix might’ve stood a chance but… not now. It was even more shocking to see Agatha was facing off against her scaly pursuer who, with eyes alight, let loose another roar as mighty as the thunder above! The force of the black dragon’s cry blew up the water nearby! It didn’t unbalance Agatha though. Instead of falling back, she raised her staff high into the air. Over the noise all around, she shrieked, “By Thor’s lightning, I’ll give you something to scream about, Nidhogg!” With that, lightning flashed downwards upon her! However, secretly being a user of the arcane, she was not harmed by it and, when done, the nord released its devastating power from her walking stick towards her foe who took the blow head on!


“Return to Varshall, beast! Return to your father, Loki! You have failed here!” She cried!


Nidhogg received the brunt of the lightning’s strike against his forehead. As the electricity flashed against his skull, he remained in place. Never did he back down, never did he show any pain and, when Agatha’s flashy spell ceased, he let loose another ground shaking cry. Simultaneously, his open mouth ominously filled with orange light. Agatha, in reply, swiftly waved her staff from the river water to Nidhogg. In turn, the nearby water she gestured for exploded into the side of the wyrm’s face and his building fire breath was doused! Enraged, the dragon reared up high into the air onto his hind legs. Staying like that, he beat his wings which brought about the earlier powerful gusts of air he’d made while flying. Naturally, his viking adversary was knocked flat by his power! Flannen, cawing madly, rolled through the air also! At the same time, Agatha’s stick flew away from her grasp! Then, as she got up, the dragon facing her came back down onto all his fours and, before she could defend, he swatted her high into the air with a mighty swipe!


The nearby phoenix watched in dread as his last hope in remaining honorable bodily soared over the banks of the river. As Agatha remained suspended, something freed itself from her garbs. From her body, when she hit the ground roughly, dropped the “mission”. The green stone object that the viking along with the elves were keen on keeping rolled through the mud until coming to a halt and, at once, the fire bird on the sidelines sensed its energy like beforehand! The stone, the mission, what was it? With the essence it gave off, was it truly alive? Just what was it?


Regardless, the muddied stone seemed to be the only concern of Nidhogg now for he approached it while Agatha, even though alive, stayed still. Then, he raised a claw over it. For a dreadful moment, it seemed he was going to smash it but, gently next, he scooped it up into his deadly paws. With that, he turned himself towards the heavens with his wings, all four of them, outstretched to catch the wind currents like the mighty sails of a galleon ship!


The dragon was departing! He was leaving with the mission! No, he couldn’t! Yet… no, he didn’t.


At the last second, rather than leave with his prize, Nidhogg seemed to think of another thing that needed doing; humiliation. Still holding onto the mission, with the phoenix watching from a distance, the four winged wyrm as black as the night rested his crimson eyes upon the nord woman who had looked to stop him. Then, a rumble began to echo from him. At seeing his last opponent sprawled out in the mud, defenseless, the dragon was actually laughing. What amused him was made clear when, shockingly, he spoke the common tongue of mortals in a rumble.


“By Thor’s lightning, Agatha Windwhisper, you would silence the messenger of Loki?” He hissed through his chuckles, “Foolish nord of the north, of Vallan. What nonsense you spout. How arrogant, overconfident, and foolish your kind have become since the time that you arrived in these lands and took what was not rightfully yours; what belonged to dragons.” At this, Nidhogg gazed around at his surroundings. He sneered, showing his lethal teeth, “Humans, elves, dwarves… It doesn’t matter. You are guilty, one and all. You do not deserve a home such as this one and, soon, it shall not be yours.” He snapped his jaws with his eyes bright in the dark, “After Ragnarok, the mountains shall be returned to the rightful owners, to dragons, who control the land and sky alike! Dread that time for my coming is only the beginning! My father, Loki, is next!”


The phoenix felt his heart stop for a moment when inspired Nidhogg lifted a claw over the motionless form of Agatha. In that pose, the dragon snarled, “However, unfortunate for you, you will not be there to witness his coming.”

 

One second, one smash of his foot. That was all it would have taken for Nidhogg to finish the remainder of his adversaries and, being too interested in the conversation, the present fire bird had quite forgotten why he had come to the river in the first place. However, the wyrm abruptly stopped what he was doing or planned to do. Something seemed to of gotten his interest and, laughing again, he backed away from his unconscious opponent while saying, “No, nord. You will see my father’s coming. After all, there is no better way for you to suffer for your failure here as a thief than live to tell about it.” Nidhogg showed the emerald mission stone with its unique energy and hissed, “Being nothing more than a mortal, you have my respects for taking this from under my very nose. However, the fruit this relic will bear will not be for your plans but for mine… as intended.”


Nidhogg turned back towards the heavens. As he stretched out his wings, he added one last insult towards Agatha, “Thus, thief, you will live. You will cower. You will be a shame to your people and you will also be glad when your end, my kind, comes for you. As the dragons take back our homes, everyone in these mountains will come to welcome death.”


With that said and done, the black dragon was finished with everything that needed to be done. With what was rightfully his returned to his control, the stone in his claws, Nidhogg was ready to be rid of any more trouble as well as return to where he had formerly come. As he beat his four wings rhythmically for affect, to lift off, Agatha remained immobile on the ground while the winds picked up. The phoenix didn’t know what to do for the defeated nord. He wanted to do something, anything, to aid her. Due to the death of the elves, his honor commanded it of him. However, with the weather still being horrible, his strength was little to none. His will might have been ablaze. Regardless, he had nothing to back it up against the dragon as it jumped into the air and, being too heavy because of wet feathers, the fire bird could only hate himself rather than fly.


Gaining air, Nidhogg’s flapping wings caused the gusts to become gales, the surrounding forest thrashed, and the river close by sprayed up waves against the rain! The wyrm was actually going to get away with this atrocity, these murders, towards the elves? Towards the nords? That couldn’t be and, by a literal miracle, it wasn’t allowed to happen.


From the darkest parts of the sky, a mighty roar of thunder rolled across Everen. It’s yell made the phoenix flinch, the animals scurry, and was powerful enough to even unnerve Nidhogg who, still suspended, kept on climbing in altitude. He had to get the object in his grip, Agatha’s mission, back to where it belonged with his forces. However, not in the slightest were his trials done.


After another bellow of epic thunder that echoed through the sky as well as across the mountains, hands of lighting rapidly streaked forward from the clouds into the airborne wyrm! With the same power, this attack from nature repeated against Nidhogg who, being durable but not for such an onslaught, let loose one of his enraged roars! What was this sorcery? What had made the sky turn against him like this? Regardless, he was forced - when struck for the fifth time by pure electricity -to descend towards the river! It was when a sixth lightning bolt hit him in the back that he lost control of flight. Therefore, when so close to victory, he freely fell dozens of feet from the heavens while losing his hold on the green stone in the process!


With a mighty explosion of sound along with water, the mighty Nidhogg crashed downwards into the river! Furious, he immediately rose onto his feet to roar out towards the sky that had forced him back down onto the earth. Knowing he’d lost his prize, he began determinedly splashing about in search of the stone that had slipped from his grasp during his fall! On the sidelines, the phoenix didn’t know what had just transpired. He did, though, know where the stone - the one everyone seemed intent on keeping - had gone. It had fallen into the river first and the waters had swallowed it into the depths. Even now, it most probably was speedily heading downriver!


“Troublesome luck!” Nidhogg screamed, spraying up water as he smashed his way here as well as there along the banks, “Blasted egg! Where did it-” Then, everything froze for a few seconds. Literally, as if from the air itself, a new presence of unmatched strength - the very power of a deity - radiated through the setting.


“Did you lose something, friend?” All focus turned onto whom spoke this, onto the new unrivaled strength that pulsed through the surroundings. Standing on the shore of the river, watching Nidhogg turn to him, a newcomer  in grimy robes - one that sounded like a child, a boy, as well as looked like one - stood by the still form of Agatha. Where had he come from? Who was he?


Naturally, the dragon in the river became cautious of the formidable new visitor to the scene. He seemed to know right off who the small stranger from nowhere was and, in reply to the question if he had lost something, he hissed, “You and I are not friends… and what has eluded me momentarily is none of your concern!”


The little newcomer didn’t seem offended by this hostile reaction to his inquiry. Really, what exactly the child was couldn’t be confirmed. His powers were everywhere at once but within him too. No mortal wielded such significant power. Where had he come from? What interest did he have in this black dragon with rose shaded eyes? Regardless, the boy did become serious about the situation before him and said coolly, “No, you’re right. You’re not a friend of mine. Not when you intentionally bring needless death into my lands for no reason at all.” The stranger actually stated next, he had the authority along with powers to do so, “Therefore, being an enemy of mine, of my people, you had best depart this province; minion of the northern gods.”


“Me? A minion of the northern gods?” Nidhogg laughed at this, “For being, as said by your kristia worshippers, so aware of your surroundings, little god or All Father, you are blind after all. You cannot consider me having anything to do with the folk of the north, brat, unless I am tearing them apart! They are my enemies! I am not an accomplice of theirs!”


The child, the deity called the “All Father”, had an instant response to this, “You are the one who is blind, wyrm. You prepare for a feud that will not end as you hope it will. You claim you do not serve the gods of the north but, whether he likes it or not, your lord Loki is one of them. Regardless if he has cut ties with them, his blood is the same as theirs and by sending you here to spill innocent blood then I have more than enough reason for me to tell you that you need to leave.” After this, he added, “With or without that you have just lost.”


Nidhogg straightened up. His eyes glinted with a malice like none before and he breathed out, “I see now. That lightning that brought me down here… that was your doing, wasn’t it?” When seeing the All Father stir at this, the dragon chuckled grimly, “Ah, you are delving into matters that do not concern you, little god. You would be wise to keep out of it and let me claim what is mine here. That is unless you wish for your people in these mountains to become involved.”


“We both know well that my children, the kristia, are already involved in your sinister plots.” The child like god stated back resolutely, frowning, “And they will fight as well as overcome your master’s coming darkness with the same strength everyone shares in these mountains.” Done with the conversation at this, the black dragon turned away from his adversary to begin looking for the stone he’d lost in the river. He wouldn’t have any luck. The phoenix sensed that the stone’s essence was further downriver until almost out of range. As for the All Father, he stepped forward to say at being ignored, “You will leave this realm, shadow, and you will do so now!” At the little god’s sharp exclamation, lightning flashed down again into Nidhogg who whirled around to lunge. A fight commenced from this.


Never before did the phoenix witness any battle like the one that came next. Its course was short but felt like forever as Nidhogg actually engaged the kristia god, the All Father, with fire breath. The child immortal summoned his own unrivaled powers in response and, with ease, put down the flamethrower coming his way. Once the cloud of flames were clear, he then showed off his own powers by dragging more lightning from the raging heavens unto his winged foe who, in a last attempt, rose onto his hind legs. With his wings, Nidhogg beat powerful gales into his foe. Nonetheless, such a trick wasn’t nor wouldn’t ever affect someone like the All Father. Where everything was sent flying, the little immortal boy remained beside Agatha without trouble. Finally, with a shout, the All Father brought down lightning’s full fury upon Nidhogg who, with a shriek, slammed back down into the river.


As the waters he threw up rained back down, with patches of his scales melted, the black dragon snarled out at his resolute opponent on shore, “You will pay for this, whelp! You have done nothing here than only make more trouble for yourself! For your people! For your meddling, even more blood will be spilled in your lands!” At this, the All Father summoned more electric bolts unto his stubborn foe whom, roaring out, crashed through the woodlands to take off into the eastern sky with his wounds.


“Be gone shade!” The All Father shouted after the retreating wyrm, “Run back to your master and tell him that I will be here to prevent his darkness from suffocating this world! Tell him!” And that was the truth.


A long, stony silence followed the conflict between the little god and massive dragon. As the rains seemed to pick up in strength in the aftermath, the phoenix could still see the All Father making his way through the downpour back to where Agatha rested. The child god seemed to be interested very much in the nord for he remained with her for a while. Finally, he got back to his feet and, to the fire bird’s shock, came to the hidden phoenix.


The boy had known of the fire bird the entire time. Once with the uncertain king of birds, the All Father knelt down to smile which was all the fiery bird could see under the hood of the little god who inquired kindly, “I see, regardless of the previous moments, that you are doing well, friend of Eve." The All Father's smile shifted into a frown, "Well, perhaps you are not so well. You have seen much tonight, haven’t you?”


When the phoenix nodded his head - he had seen the elves die, Agatha be knocked out, as well as a fight between immortals now - the child god nodded too while he said, “Yes, you’ve had good as well as bad luck this night, eh? Well, I am certain it is bound to end soon. In fact, I will see to its end personally.” At this, the All Father showed concern, “However, there is something that needs looking after while I deal with this weather. Can you help me in that regard, my fiery companion?” When the kristia god looked back with the phoenix at the knocked out nord maid, his point was made clear. While the All Father tended with the dreadful weather, the phoenix would need to keep Agatha safe. At this, the king of birds, even though drenched, was more than capable to do that particular task, of course.


Several minutes afterwards, Agatha had been gently healed as well as moved into the nearby shelter of the trees. Once having her in a secure location, the All Father turned away from the river towards the rest of the woodland. He looked ready to go to do his task but not before saying to the phoenix, “You are safe here, bird of the elves. That shadow, that dragon beast, will not be back to finish what he started. Not tonight nor many to come, that is.” The child god hesitated. Then he added, “Do you not sense it, my friend? There is something that has hung over these lands like a haze for the longest time and what I have just taken part in tonight… something unseen is finally in motion. There is another storm coming, far worse than this one we currently see and, when it passes us by, the destruction will be too terrible to describe.”


There was an ominous pause. Then, the kristia god motioned to the nord woman at his feet, “However, not all hope is lost for these mountains. In this woman here, I know she has a promising destiny that will affect everything for the better in the east here.”


The phoenix gazed over the unconscious nord at his feet in his care. Then, he focused onto the child god speaking to him when the immortal said, “This woman is important, my regal friend. Not only for what is to come but, shockingly, for my people too. Thus, keep watch over her until morning when, around the time the sun is at its course’s climax, help will arrive. Then your duty to this woman, to the elves, will be fulfilled.” The All Father stroked the fire bird’s head as he finished, “If you stay by this woman through the rest of night, your honor will remain intact. Then, if you so wish, you will be able to leave this experience behind you with grace.”


Ah, so the All Father was aware of the phoenix’s want to help the dead elves. Well, being aware of much, that was why he was a god. Having finished with everything he’d come to do at the river, the kristia god grimly swept away into the dark forest to do what needed to be done about the foul weather. Soon, his powers would overpower Loki’s. The sun would shine again tomorrow.


As for the phoenix, he didn’t plan on going anywhere before dawn. For his honor, to the elves, he would stay in place through the storming nighttime. The only time he really even moved was with surprise when, with a squawk, Flannen soared into the scene from the shadows onto his master’s breathing chest. There, the raven settled down like the fire bird in silence. Together the birds remained at Agatha’s side as the rains poured, the winds swept through, and the All Father ventured through the woodlands on his quest. What a disturbing night this one had turned out to be. Even so, it wasn’t quite done for in the back of the phoenix’s alert mind he could still feel the elves’ mission, the emerald colored stone, pulsing with its mysterious power somewhere downriver. For the time being, it had left the attention of everything. After all the trouble it had caused, perhaps that was best?


What was the “mission” Agatha seemed so determined to complete? What was a dragon, like Nidhogg, doing back in the mountains? What “storm” had the All Father spoken of before leaving? Unbeknownst, a chessboard for Everen had been set. Whether either side was ready or not, the pieces were already moving. The influence of destiny was being felt across the currently dark mountains and fate was being as unreadable as ever. There were questions, questions, questions… that would only be answered with time; beginning with the future morning that both Flannen and the phoenix waited eagerly for.



© 2012 Cousitarian


Author's Note

Cousitarian
Prologue. Beginning. Hope this was good for you to read. Let me know otherwise.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I did like this a lot. It has an interesting feel to it with the different gods and immortals all playing a part instead of one group of gods. Being a big fan of mythical beasts I also enjoyed the outlook on the phoenix. You need to pay attention to the way you are writing though. You tend to slip into casual speaking terms such as when the Panzers "prepped" their attack. There are times when you get a bit too wordy as well. You don't have to bluntly state everything... twice. And watch where you are repeating yourself, for example when all the animals are being blown away. Remember the number one rule of writing is show not tell. Other than a few minor things it is well written and I eagerly await the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cousitarian

11 Years Ago

Hm, it seems I'm still having the same issues that everyone has been telling me. I focus onto someth.. read more
Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

I'm ready!



Reviews

I did like this a lot. It has an interesting feel to it with the different gods and immortals all playing a part instead of one group of gods. Being a big fan of mythical beasts I also enjoyed the outlook on the phoenix. You need to pay attention to the way you are writing though. You tend to slip into casual speaking terms such as when the Panzers "prepped" their attack. There are times when you get a bit too wordy as well. You don't have to bluntly state everything... twice. And watch where you are repeating yourself, for example when all the animals are being blown away. Remember the number one rule of writing is show not tell. Other than a few minor things it is well written and I eagerly await the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cousitarian

11 Years Ago

Hm, it seems I'm still having the same issues that everyone has been telling me. I focus onto someth.. read more
Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

I'm ready!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 22, 2012
Tags: Dragons, Fantasy, Medieval, Heroism, Warriors


Author

Cousitarian
Cousitarian

MI



About
Not the best, not the worst, at writing. Not old but young. Full of inspiration, imagination but not enough experience to make it big. It's not the money I work for nor ever really will. What I do is .. more..

Writing
Prologue... Prologue...

A Chapter by Cousitarian


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Cousitarian