Fading Away: Chapter 2

Fading Away: Chapter 2

A Chapter by Scott W. Martin
"

Fade returns to his apartment to find Papa Joe checking in on him. Doesn�t like the fact that he brought his henchmen who are destroying his apartment. �You�re apartment looks like s**t.� He also casually makes sure Fade doesn�t realize that the old man w

"

             I’m a few blocks away from the Saint Harvey Tunnel when I can’t hold it in any longer. I break and start to pull off the road while trying to focus on getting the door open. My vomit flows out, over, and on everything between me and the ground. I pull my jacket away far too late and smear chunks of my semi-digested lunch over the side of my seat. What’s wrong with me? Sure, the first time was hard but not this bad. It was never easy, but I never thought it could be like this.

            The rest of the way home I think about death, and her, and things which can never be undone. I wonder how much of my soul is left. Does it really matter? I’ve done things that I feel like no God could forgive. Why couldn’t it have hurt this much before the fact? Why did I have to kiss death on the lips before I realized that I preferred my soul to the quick power and money she provided; to her sweet embrace? I should probably find a church and confess. It just so happens that the liquor store is cheaper and on the way home.

 

            Inside the elevator I’m turning up the bottle again when the smell washes over me. It smells like cheap cologne, cheap cigars and cheaper women. I crack a drunken smile and laugh in disbelief as I realize what, or more specifically who, it is. That little fat b*****d came to check up on me. I was bound to see him again. It’s probably better to get it over with.

            As I walk out of the elevator I can see he’s already let himself in. Papa Joe, what a scum bag. I wonder how much karma there is to gain from removing his stench from the universe.

I’m almost completely ignored as I walk in through the kitchen. I place my bottles down on the counter and glance over at Joe’s two thugs. They look drugged out of their mind and it appears they’ve made a game out of placing my dishes against the counter wall and smashing them from across the room with the salt shaker. What can I say, I love my job.

Joe’s sitting in my chair with his back turned towards me watching pornography on basic cable; a wadded up tissue in his hand. I almost don’t know what to think until he sneezes all over the screen. I close my eyes and let it go when I see his snot reflecting the entire light spectrum thru many tiny droplets off my television like specs of rain collected on a window. I’m still trying to think of a way to introduce my presence when gets up and almost runs into me. His eyes get big and I can tell I startled him pretty good.

“Fade. It’s about time you got back.” He chuckles a little and pokes me hard in the ribs he stubby fingers. A Joe love tap. “I thought you might have fucked up.”

He was dressed in a grey pin striped suit and what used to be a white t-shirt. This by the way, clashed horribly with the two ripped jeans and t-shirt punks in my living room smoking crack and playing ‘Lets see how much we can f**k with Fade before he snaps and kills us with his bare hands.’

Joe’s thick black hair came down to his shoulders and he stood there with a slight smile barely hidden beneath his bushy mustache. I came back, which can only mean one thing. But he asks anyways. “So? What happened? Is he dead?”

“Yeah, he’s dead.”

“Good, good. Whadda ya say, let’s celebrate.”

He starts walking past me and waves his hand over his face. “Damn Fade, smells like you started without me.”

“He knew I was coming.”

            Joe enters the kitchen and grabs a bottle of bourbon. He holds it up and reads the label as if he knew what he was looking at. “You drink this s**t Fade?”

            “Didn’t you hear me? He knew I was going to be there.”

            “You’re slipping Fade. Nobody knew that you were going to be there except for you and me.”

            “The door was left open.”

            “And?”

            “He knew my name.”

            He rolls his chubby body up and away from me, eyes first. He sighs deeply mumbling something about how lots of people know my name. “You been whacking guys for how many years now?” I don’t want to think about it. “Seven.” He points at me in a reassuring manner. “Seven years Fade. That’s a long time. Long enough to earn one hell of a reputation.” I’m not buying it. “How long did you talk to him for?”

            “I don’t know. Not long. He was writing a letter or something.

            “A letter? What do you mean letter? What did it say?”

            “I don’t know, I didn’t read it.”

            “Well where is it now?”

            It hit me like a wave of damnation. He didn’t like my answer.

            “You mailed it?! You what?”

            He walked over in a quick hobble and reached his stubby fingers up and around the back of my neck pulling my head down closer to him. He’s right in my face, pointing at me with his left hand still holding the liquor bottle. “You dumb little s**t! Do you have any idea what you’ve done? I should kill you right now where you f*****g stand!” I think he knew I didn’t care. I could feel my hand twitching with readiness. If he wants a shootout, I’ll take his a*s out first.

            He turns and looks over towards the kitchen and I can almost hear a click as he realizes what might happen if he tries; realizes that those incompetent f**k ups don’t stand a chance against me. He lets go of me suddenly and changes his posture as if nothing had happened.

“Did I mention, I’m getting promoted thanks to you. You’re too much of an asset Fade. Lets face it, when it comes to taking out the trash, you’re the absolute best. I always liked you Fade. ” He chuckles slightly. “ I guess we can forget about the letter. If it turns up however it’s your a*s. I need to get going. Now if you excuse me Fade I’ve got a hot, sweet, young thing down in the car that has to be home before it’s late. I think maybe I’ll take her down to my little love nest on Pevast Street first. By the way Fade, your place looks like s**t.”

 

            I almost break down and start cleaning up the place when they leave. ‘I’m better than that’ I thought, it can wait until tomorrow. There’s a lot of pain to kill, and no time like the present. I grab a bottle and take a few swigs before deciding to call my date. As her phone rings I wonder how pissed she is at me for blowing her off at the last second. Just when I think she isn’t going to answer I’m greeted by loud music and bombarding voices. It sounds like she’s talking to somebody. I’m in the middle of stuttering “Hello?” when the line drops. Guess she found something better to do than sit around feeling pissed off at me. Go figure.

            When I hang up the receiver the phone beeps letting me know I have a message. It’s Angel. I almost tear when I decide to ignore her call and loose myself in the great blissful sickness I’ve come to depend on. As usual, I don’t remember passing out.



© 2009 Scott W. Martin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is absolutely wonderful. I rarely read on here, but now I think I have something to look forward to. Keep it coming!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Added on September 9, 2008
Last Updated on December 13, 2009


Author

Scott W. Martin
Scott W. Martin

Charlotte, NC



About
Introduction Most of the time I get to writing my biography and I think "Who cares?" In a moment of self realization Ive begun to understand what gives me this impression. I used to feel th.. more..

Writing