It is a well-known quote heard and stated around the world, not to discuss politics on the job. Corruption exists in society in all sorts of shapes, methods, and forms.

It is a well-known quote heard and stated around the world, not to discuss politics on the job. Corruption exists in society in all sorts of shapes, methods, and forms.

A Chapter by Crystal Mullings
"

Free Preview

"

There was one supervisor I had admired, because she would tell it like it is at staff meetings in front of everyone, and she would guide me at times. I was disappointed when I overheard her many times disrespecting one of her workers. She would ask the worker if she’s stupid, idiotic, and lacking common sense. She’d resort to telling her tell she’s disappointed in her, she needs to do better, after ripping the girl a new a*****e, leaving her in tears.

Plus, this girl allegedly had a master’s degree, but was working on an associate degree level because she lacked good writing skills. I confirmed this after correcting one of her notes and speaking briefly with her. Another supervisor appeared very quiet, honest, but sneaky. I went to her for advice on a case, and she told me that the director of the program told her that I was her best worker. I asked the director not to share that information with any of the supervisors. You know we’re all human and jealousy is a part of human nature. I didn’t want word to get back to my co-workers that I was doing a better job than them in only a few months. I saw what that did to my mother. Humble yourself the more, the greater you are and you will find favor with Jesus. The site director was fearful of the program director; I don’t know why, because she appeared to be as humble as a sheep and respectful. He basically took orders and ate them, never questioned or doubted the director at all even if the orders were very questionable.  Note: no one deserves to be disrespected in their work environment it’s enough that we have outside issues.

Quite frankly, I don’t see anything wrong with questioning your superior, as long as you maintain a certain level of respect with assertiveness while maintaining boundaries. Lastly, our program director appeared to be not what I had expected. She was sweet and sincere, intelligent, very pretty, and religious. She always dressed nicely and professionally. I admired her and said that I want to be like her in some ways: successfully running a business, aggressive but calm, and well-groomed. Well, one day, one of my co-workers gave notice that she was leaving. She gave two weeks’ notice and eventually was persuaded to give four weeks’ notice. I thought that was questionable as two weeks’ notice is fair and professional.  After all, New York State is an employment at will state. So, if they want to discharge you without cause they may do so. On her last day, she didn’t receive her paycheck. The site director told her that she has to update all of her notes for her caseload, complete any upcoming UCRs that may be due, and then she will receive her pay. A UCR is a 25 or more pages composite of the family that you are working with that has to be completed by the case worker.  UCR’s are usually completed on a thirty day basis, followed by a ninety day, three month, six month, and yearly.   On top of it, she had to fight them for her remaining sick or vacation days to be paid out. What a mess! Prior to her departure, she gave me some advice to do my work, don’t make friends, and to get paid!

After her departure, I found out that two weeks had passed and she didn’t receive her pay. We had a staff meeting with about twenty or more employees. There was so much more for me to learn that I got nervous, and it showed on my face. After the meeting, one of the site managers approached me and said, “Don’t worry, we will help you.” What a crock of s**t that turned out to be! I wrote a letter to the director of the program, asking her why she held back on people’s pay. How are we to take back our time from doing overtime if we don’t even have the time to take it back from so much home visits and paperwork? Why am I not getting the training that I need? A majority of the workers were working overtime, but we couldn’t be reimbursed for it so we had to find suitable ways to take back our time.  To make matters worse, we were all bringing work home to complete over the weekend to meet our weekly deadlines.

 

www.authorhouse.com for orders

My book will be available with Amazon and BN in a few days.



© 2008 Crystal Mullings


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
Crystal, thank you for addressing issues that everyone should be made aware of... kudos to you! You should teach a class called "Protect Yourself from Professional Manipulation 101." I'm intrigued. If more people like you spoke up, the working world would be a much better place...

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on March 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 24, 2008


Author

Crystal Mullings
Crystal Mullings

Southhampton, NY



About
I love to write short and long stories, poetry, academic works, etc. I decided to pursue my longtime dream of writing after problem after problem of finding suitable work. I realized the only kind of .. more..

Writing