The Fight

The Fight

A Chapter by Jason Stott
"

How far would you go, just to get some clean water?

"


It had been two days since Troy's awakening on the island, and things were becoming far more bleak as time went by. Because the sock they were using was filthy, it wasn't doing a very good job at filtering out water. Food was becoming more scarce as time went by. It had been three days and not a single fire had been lit, let alone plans to escape the island.

Troy woke up one early morning, panicked. He'd had a dream in which he was left for dead on the island while everyone else left. To calm down, he left the cave and took a walk around the area, thinking about his past, and what his future might be like. He was thinking about his sixth grade year, and then it struck him.

You see, everyone was severely dehydrated because of diarrhea from the water, and the fact that it was salt water was not helping matters at all. Troy had an idea from his sixth grade end of year science project. He had made a distillery to boil down saltwater he made, and even collected the salt from the bottom of the pot. If only he had the materials to do it...

Then Troy had another idea. He ran back to the cave as fast as he could, and woke up Abigail, a shorter, blond haired lady. Troy looked at her as she slept, and remembered the date he took her on, just a few weeks ago. He'd remembered asking her to prom, but they might've already missed it. Clearing his head, he woke her up. “Abby. Abby, wake up, I need your help, here.” Troy said, in a quieter voice. Abigail groaned a bit and turned, not wanting to wake up. “Abigail, come on, I need your help with something.” Troy said again, this time nudging her. Finally, she slowly sat up, rubbed her eyes, and looked around. “Troy? What do you need?” She asked. “Follow me, I don't want to wake anyone up.” He said, as he helped her up, and led her out of the cave. Once outside, Troy started. “I might have a solution to the water problem here. I just need a pot, a plate or lid, and a bowl. I was thinking, since you came here on the raft, was there anything like that in the survival bag?” Troy asked. “I can't remember, but I can show you where we beached. Maybe you can grab the stuff you need from there.” Abigail answered. She yawned. From the hill they were on, they could see the rising sun in the distance, signaling the start of a new day. Troy looked at it too, pulling Abigail closer, thinking about the dream he had. He thought, for a brief moment, that if he had to stay back so Abigail could leave the island, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Eventually, they got off the hill and arrived at the beach, where Troy had started going through the mess. He took one look at the lifeboat, and began looking through it. Underneath one of the benches, he found an unopened bag of survivalist goodies. He pulled it out, sat down on the sand with his back on the hull of the life boat, and opened the bag. Troy's face lit up like the sky on the Fourth of July, and began pulling things out. Inside, he found water purification tablets, a water filter, emergency food to last 10 people one week, a radio broadcaster, a knife, flares, a map and compass, and matches. Abigail saw what he pulled out, and began smiling. “Maybe.” Troy started. “Maybe we're not going to die.”

Just then, the two heard a crack of a twig coming from the woods. Troy hid the knife as one of their classmates, Alan, along with 11 other people emerged from the woods. “Look what we have here, gents. Two lovebirds just found themselves some supplies for us.” He said, and a few of his friends chuckled. Alan was the type of kid who you didn't want to get in a fight with. The son of a mixed martial arts trainer, Alan knew a great deal of fighting, especially at close range. “Do us a favor.” Alan said. “Leave and never come back. These are our supplies now. Go off, and I won't have to do anything radical.” Alan demanded. Troy, looking alarmed, decided to talk his way out of this. “Have what you want, all I need is the radio broadcaster.” Troy bargained. Alan chuckled. “You dumb s**t, what do you think that will do for you? You think people are actually looking for us? We're just teenagers. Who the hell cares if a bunch of kids gets killed on a ship?” Alan asked, laughing. “Just clinging onto that last bit of hope. I think you understand.” Troy answered, getting up. “Now, we'll just be on our way.” Troy said, taking Abigail by the hand. Alan glared at Troy, and watched them disappear into the forest.


When they returned, Troy walked up the hill and read the instructions on the Emergency Broadcaster. According to the label he read, he could just turn it on and keep it on, so he did exactly that. He put the broadcaster down, turned it on, and went back down to the fire pit, where he rallied the remaining people up. “Abigail and I have found supplies for survival!” Troy shouted. “But Alan and his friends are hogging it, they stole it! They are keeping it to themselves!” he continued. Everyone's faces started looking pissed off. “Now, we can get it back, but I need each one of you to go grab one stick, and I will make it into a spear. We will resolve this!” Troy shouted. Almost everyone left. The only people who remained were the two teachers that survived. “You're not going to kill him, are you?” Asked Mrs. Hall, the Biology teacher. “I will do what must be done in order to survive. I don't want to, but if my life is in danger, I'm killing.” Troy answered. Hall looked concerned. “I'd better not see a body. That's all I'm saying.” She replied.

An hour later, 15 people armed with spears were hiding behind trees in the neck of the woods by the beach. Troy stepped out, knife ready to stab. “Alan, I've come to bargain.” Troy Shouted. Alan crawled out from the lean-to made from the life boat. “The f**k you want, a*****e? Thought I told you not to ever come back here again.” Alan shouted. “Now listen, Alan. We can talk. Or we can fight. But once I start fighting, I'm not going to stop and do this peacefully.” Troy demanded. “You and what army? I outnumber you, so get the hell out of here while you still can.” Alan threatened. Troy turned, jolted his head towards the beach, and looked back at Alan. Behind him, 15 people, armed with spears walked out from the forest. “Last chance, Alan. Let's not turn the sand red, now.” Troy demanded.

Now, if you had 15 people armed with spears, demanding to sacrifice the food you took, you'd probably want to solve things without the spears. But not Alan. He was ready to fight for the supplies in which he stole. “F**k you!” Alan shouted. Alan's 12 began charging at Troy's 15, who then lowered their spears. The 12 slowed down, and tried disarming the 15. Then one person engaged. Which side engaged first, we don't know. But the next thing we know is there was a fair bit of blood spilled on the sand. Alan grabbed a jagged rock from the beach, and tried bashing Troy's head with it, but Troy was faster than Alan thought. As Alan was about to bring the rock down on his head, Troy drew the knife, turned around, and stabbed Alan- right in the femoral artery. Alan, naturally, fell back screaming in pain, but Troy didn't stop there. He began kicking Alan. Stomping on his stomach, his ribs, and even kicked his head a few times. Eventually, Alan died of blood loss. Troy looked at the remains of the battle. He only lost 2 people, while Alan's 12 had diminished to four, who'd apparently surrendered. “Take them back to camp. I'll get the supplies, and we'll deal with these traitors later.” Troy ordered. Troy's new soldiers took the four survivors back to camp, while Troy took what was left of the survival kit.

When they got back to camp, Hall saw noticed who returned and didn't. She knew those who went with Troy and didn't come back- Clay Rodgers and Matthew Johnson. She went back to her mat in the cave and began sobbing. Her job was to make sure none of this ever happened, and she failed. She failed miserably, and when she got back, she would be ostracized for it. Meanwhile, Troy noticed that she wasn't doing so well. He had an idea, and so he followed her and began lying to Hall. “The people who died. They died of dehydration. The water we've been drinking isn't clean, so when we got there, we saw that 8 of them didn't make it. They were covered in their own s**t, too. As for the two that went with me and didn't return, they collapsed. We looked for a pulse for a while, but to no avail.” Troy told Hall. “But I've still failed at my job. I was supposed to keep everyone from dying, yet we've lost 10 people so far. How many more people are going to die before we're rescued? How many people?” She asked, sobbing. “I don't know. That emergency broadcaster is on, so hopefully none.” Troy answered.

Today has been a grim day indeed.



© 2019 Jason Stott


Author's Note

Jason Stott
Second chapter, what do we think so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on April 4, 2019
Last Updated on April 4, 2019
Tags: Fight, Survival, Fiction, Jason_Stott, Chapter 2


Author

Jason Stott
Jason Stott

About
Hello there. My name is Jason Stott. I'm a 17 year old dude that writes when he's bored. I like writing and reading, and I play trombone. more..

Writing
Waking up Waking up

A Chapter by Jason Stott


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Jason Stott