Dam Side MIll

Dam Side MIll

A Chapter by Wild Rose

Dam side mill

24 September 2020

11:12

Dam side mill was being developed by a group of entrepreneurs "Dam Side Developments" (DSD)

The person in charge of operations was a Mr Tom Collins

He had employed a firm of builders from out of the area to carry out all the design and building work.

 

Invitations were sent out for an open day to see the new stream lined factory, they had all the machinery in place

The Carding and spinning was on the top floor

Second floor held twenty looms, with space for another twenty

First floor the inspection and burling and mending

Ground floor was goods arrival and dispatch

 

Percival and a few other invited people attended for a guided tour to see how a modern factory should be organised "Light weight materials carried up in small quantities; them oved downwards  by gravity as the became heavier"

 

Someone remarked "Tha's got it all wrong ladd; First inspection and burling an mending needs a north light for't colour matching"

Mr Collins "Believe me gentle men that is just a fallacy, we know what we are about, we have had the best industrial designers working for us"

Percival "Your weaving floor wont stand the weight of all those looms when they are working"

Mr Collins "Again sir it has been designed to carry double the weight of the looms"

Percival "Aye well, we'll see. Don' say 'Tha's none bin tell'd ladd' ; we shall see, all in good time"

 

Staff were advertised for. Pre-washed wool bought in looms were threaded up, weaving proceeded, more looms brought into operation daily.

 

Three experienced weavers felt the floor moving, they shut off their looms and walked out. Mr Collins shouting after them "Get back here or your sacked all of you"

"Don't bother sacking us, we have left"  

 

   

Eleven o'clock Percival was with two of his engineers. A mill hooter sounded Toot, Toot, (Six toots) Then it remained on

"Oh God what's that for its an emergency signal, they only do that in the mines when they have had a roof fall; its not ours luckily"

Robert walked to look out of the front door as a man came running up "They have had a floor collapse at Dam side mill; the looms have fallen to the ground floor people are trapped underneath"

Robert "Go on to Tayler's mill and tell them' (to Frank and Lionel) One go to the boiler house and tell them, say to sound our siren six toots the a two minute one and shut it off.  Then find Percival to get a gang with lifting gear. The other find Ebenezer tell him we will be needing some volunteer first aiders and blankets. Then both come back here; we will have work to do"

 

 The hooter sounded in Beck Side Mill

Workers stopped what the were doing and counted the hoots One; Two; >>> Five; Six; Seven: Oh, what's that for? After two minutes had passed; It stopped - It isn't for us, what has happened? where?

 

Percival's men (most ex miners) knew what had happened and what equipment they would be needing. The four set about gathering jacks for lifting. a block and tackle for hoisting, wooden blocks, bodging bars. Two brought up two hand carts. "Right lads off we go just follow the hooter sound.

 

Ebenezer asked for volunteers who could do first aid gather what you can in bandaged and a bale of blankets get a cart and one of the men, make it two. We will go down and see what is needed, " It wont be a nice sight are you up for it"  "Aye they are factory lasses like us they will need our help"

 

At Beck Side Mill they found a rescue team from Lower Soothill Mine were already there. They found the mines team leader; they introduced themselves as ex-miners add us to your team.

If anything its worse than a simple roof fall these looms weigh best part of two tons. I have sent back for two welders and cutting gear, and the mines doctor and nurses

 

Ebenezer arrived with his team "We have two over there with minor injuries a doctor and nurse are on their way from Lower Soothill Mine, Once they arrive, you could leave a blanket bale and head back to Beck Side"

 

They are preparing a sort of first aid cum rest area back at Beck Side Mill just inside the main gates, one you have them sorted they can come up there out of the way.

 

Tom Collins turned up "If I were you I would get out of the way before you get lynched, there is a big difference between static weight and the dynamic weight when they are working its more than double, then they can set up a rhythm that increases the movement, any way that's up to the authorities when they come to judge it not us here and now" 

 

Robert had organised a tea urn from Mary and Alice, a table and an assortment of chairs, from somewhere three camp beds, in one corner he had an unopened bale of blankets. There was a bed to be used by the first aid people ready to be set up with some screens to be put round. Any dead bodies were to be taken over to the empty coach house.

He had a table by the entrance to collect the names of causalities as they arrived and where they were removed to.

A vicar arrived; several volunteers from the Red Cross and St Johns volunteer ambulance services turned up to give assistance  

 

The three weavers who had walked out returned to the site in tears, they were sent to Beck Side< where they were give a seat and tea, The vicar encouraged then to talk, It was natural to feel guilt, when they had escaped the accident only by keeping aware of their surroundings

Four ladies from the burling and mending section also turned up; they were working directly below, when bits of masonry began to fall on them. They had moved their work tables and tools, just as the floor above came crashing down, then going through to the ground floor.

They joined the three weavers

The vicar aske them  to add their names to the list. "It will help to trace people who are missing We will mark you as  being shocked and that you are at your home; the list is so that worried relatives can be told where injured people have been taken, shocked will just say you are not injured"

 

Back at Dam Side the mines leader had been surveying the site. "There are two looms on the edge of the hole; they look as though they could come down on top of this lot I want then pulled back away from the hole for your safety, Take six men and  the two sets of block and tackle, a few ropes. Secure the looms; then winch them back away from the hole. Let me know as soon as it is safe to continue"

Then he went to find any one with an idea of how many people were trapped; one problem being that most had left the scene already; they knew now about the seven people in the rest area.

He arranged for a sign to divert family looking for relatives up to Beck Side, where further help had come in from nearby mills.

 

Robert was sorting out those who could help. Anxious relatives he passed on to the rest room, anyone else he refused entry

A reporter came from the Batley News "Sorry friend we have no information as yet except that they have a team from a local mine with medical staff and several mechanics from local mills. Any one else is being strictly kept out. You could wait in my office if you wish, any other press will be turned away, until we have news"

 

Upon the third floor, they could fond no secure item strong enough to use as a belay, so the used two looms with a rope between. Fixed the pully block to that and a further pully block to the overhead line-shaft to lift the leading edge  slowly winched the two looms back from the hole Once completed the looked on the second floor to check for items which my fall down

All clear they reported back to the waiting rescue team.

There were two looms to move plus bits of concrete rubble

The welder began to cut away parts of the loom frame work so that it would be easier to remove

 

Tom Collins had returned "He came over "You cant cut a loom up like that they are expensive items"

Mines Leader "There are people trapped underneath, We will do whatever we have to do to get them free as quickly as possible. This  site is now under my control; You get off the site before my men evict you"

 

A few of the workers came round to attempt to collect their belongings that had been left behind in the rush to get out, they were sent up to Beck Side to report and leave their names

The seven who had escaped before the collapse were asked to stay and identify any one claiming lost property and two rescue workers were sent with them to supervise and keep them out of danger "Just go collect your items and return - Do not loiter was the order.

 

By the end of the day they had two weavers with crush injuries to limbs and four workers from the ground floor.

Those on the second floor had moved out of the way to avoid the falling bits of concrete

The injured were treated at the scene and sent directly to hospital.

 

Tom Collins came to see Ebenezer. "We have some orders to complete; can you help us?

E "I have twelve looms spare just now. Select twelve weavers and the materials, if you pay their wages they can use those"

TC "But that will take ages

 

It was twelve months later when Tom Collins arrived with a Mr Travellin from The Dam Side Development company to see Percival

"The factory has been repaired and we are now looking to reopen. I understand you have some of our weavers working for you we will be wanting them back"

P "Yes we took twelve ladies on to finish one of your contracts. You were going to pay their wages; we are still waiting. The ladies are now working for us It is up to them if they wish to return to you, or remain with us. We want three thousand pounds from you for completing your order and dispatching it; You wont be able to run a woollen mill in that building, all it can be used for is an office block".

 

Trevellin changed the emphasis to a man sitting on his tool box "Look at that man over there sitting on his tool box (He approached the man) You man get off your box and get some work done (At that he raised his stick as to hit the man) I'll teach you to idle"

Percival grabbed Trevellin's wrist and pulled his arm behind his back, forcing it upwards

 

P "No one ever raises their hand at any of my workers least of all you. This man is a loom tuner when he is sitting there all the looms are working, he can sit there as long as he wants. The weaver will soon be at him if any loom stops"

At that he pulled Trevellin's coat tails up his back and over his head. Joe the engineer came over to help. He pulled the coat tails round Trevellin's neck to the back and tied a double knot. Joe then took the stick; breaking it in two he said he wont hit any one with this.

 

A group of weavers had been watching; one said  "I'm definitely not going to work for him" a murmur of agreement went round went round.

P "Take him and throw him in the street Joe. We dont want his type here"

Someone produced a placard 'This man is a bully and a shyster' the broken stick had been tied together; bot the stick and placard were hung around his neck.

Applause from the weavers as Trevellin was frog marched out by Joe and the loom tuner. At the door he was pushed out by the loom tuner.

Trevellin fell to the floor, and with his arms tied in his back to front, upside down jacket he was having difficulty to regain is feet.

Loom tuner "He wont get much in  the way of help now it will be the talk of the Mechanics Institute tonight and in all the mills by morning, I will be at the Mechanics tonight".

 

Two Police called in. Trevellin had been found wandering around the town, all trussed up; people read the notice and left him, Eventually someone called the police. He told them he had been attacked

Percival related who he was attacking the loom tuner, He had become aggressive and has been trussed up in his coat in place of a straight jacket, they were given permission to talk to the weavers and Robert (Retired RSM Green DSO) who had witnessed his manner when he had been shown to the door. The policemen said they would pass the mater higher up, but doubted there would be any repercussions

 

             _________________________________

 

Another six months and the ex mill was up for sale as an office block

A further six months it was put up for auction

The auction was held in Bradford at the firms premises

On day there was a full room

When it came to Dam Side Mill only Percival made an offer

With no other offers for the site the auctioneer said he would put it to the vendors

Percival gave his name as John Ward (Blacksmith) of The Forge, Apperset, Upper Wensleydale, North Riding of Yorkshire,

He sent a letter to Martha to inform her of the situation the property would belong to the forge and he would look to rent it to Christine for a small rent to be paid in the quarter days of Pentecost and Michaelmas in line with agricultural rents.

 

Tom Collins came to beck Side Mill to see Percival  "I have been told you have bought Dam Side Mill; I have been caretaker here for the last twelve months, can I continue"

P "I put in an offer for a friend; all that I know is that he wants to rent it out once some alterations have been completed; he is waiting for confirmation of the sale: so until then it belongs to the vendors so you can stay and be paid by them; After that I dont know what will happen"

 

Percival instructed Martha to have the property registered in the name of Percival Ward and Sons, Agricultural Engineers and to ensure there were no restrictions placed upon the use of the property.

When the purchase was completed Tom Collins was given notice to vacate the premises by Martha. The new owners wished to have their own security people take over; it would become a home for the construction team while work was under way.

 

 

                   _______________________________

 

It was Christine who rented over the building

The ground floor was to be a reception and a cafe, craft sales area,

First floor was to be craft workshops with display areas,

Second floor would have various craft workshops for rent:

Third floor was to be her workshop making clothes for their clothing firms "Country fashions" and "Cool in Cotton";

The top floor was to be her apartment, with rooms for guests. Gracie had her own room for her frequent visits

 

Stubley's joiner and a millwright were to do the alterations, assisted by Frank and Lionel, who lived there, while they were working on the alterations, they built some rooms on the top floor, where they lived most of the time; going up to Beck Side for an evening meal. Percival had provided a gas cylinder and portable cooking stove, for warm drinks.

 

In the boiler house: The boiler would stay to provide heating, for the building and hot water; The steam engine was to remain for the time being, Percival had it earmarked to use in a new development planned for Beck Side  

 

Outside. The mill dam, which was fed from a stream was let out to an angling club, and stocked with fish for members; visitors could purchase 'Day Licenses' from reception

A parking place for carriages was constructed, with facilities for the care of horses; including a blacksmiths

 

They were approached by a firm running day trips around the Yorkshire Dales to use an area outside the building as a terminal with tours beginning and ending there; to Facilitate that, a glazed conservatory was built overlooking the dam ; facing north to avoid the heat of the afternoon sun  and help keep out the cold north wind in wintertime.

It became a popular place for people to bring out their snacks from the cafe

 

                                                       _________________________________--.

 Wild Rose

Nov 2020  

 

 

 



© 2020 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4 Views
Added on November 22, 2020
Last Updated on November 22, 2020


Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing