Lost and Found

Lost and Found

A Chapter by Zanna Rose
"

Chapter 2 of Kyda's World

"

 

A chill blew against my skin. Even the gown, with all it's fabric couldn't prevent the cold from creeping in. I lifted my head, dried my tears and chided myself.

"You're a grown woman now, Kyda. There is no reason for tears. I promised never to be that vulnerable again."

My thoughts drifted to my Grandfather, the only person that I knew truly loved me. I touched the necklace he had given me, the only thing I had left of his life in the Netherlands. It was a beautiful pale onyx and silver gilded star and if you looked through a small hole up into light, held a poem. Something that he'd recite to me at night, before I drifted off to sleep. He'd tell me "If ever you feel completely alone and lost, remember the poem and it will give you the light so you can find your way home."

I'm not sure why but now seemed the perfect time. I lifted the star, and looked through the pinprick. Though I knew the poem by heart, it gave me comfort to read it.

"The power of light shall see me through."

The points of the star shows my direction

My thoughts opens the door

But love brings me home.

Gedachte en Liefde.

Gedachte en Liefde

As I uttered the last syllable, a brilliant beam of light hurtled out of the center of pendent. With a small gasp of surprise, I let it fall back to my chest. The end of the ray settled on a door to the right of me. With some uncertainty I followed the light to the door. There wasn't a handle or a knob. I pushed hard, but it wouldn't budge nor could I find a lever, button or switch.

"How am I supposed to understand all this, when no one will give me a break! I'll take anything that would open this jinxed door!" I screamed.
In my head I repeated the last lines of the poem "Gedachte en Liefde."

Translated from Dutch into English was 'thought and love'. Suddenly a light bulb clicked on in my mind! The verses were directions! "Of course!" Tightly closing my eyes, I focused my thoughts on the door swinging open, then with a faint swoosh my path was

unblocked. 
"Ha-ha! Score one for Gramps!"

The light never dimmed, through all the twists and turns, and somehow I knew it was leading me to where I need to go. I followed the beam for what seemed like eternity. After awhile my stomach started to complain, my legs were aching, and my bare feet blistered. Who knew that being lost in a castle would turn into such a workout? I kept going thinking aloud "just two more steps. just one more turn." Then just as I finally felt like giving up completely, I turned around and saw the glimmer of gold. Sprinting quickly toward intricately carved double doors I nearly collapsed on the floor. I hadn't had this much exercise since before I got out of school. When I finally made it down to the doors and had a chance to catch my breath, I saw the great beauty of the castle. This door had a knocker made out of a mixture of

green and azure gemstones. The door was so ornate, I feared my touch

would ruin it, but my twisting innards said otherwise. I had to find something to eat quickly.

The echo of the bejeweled knocker wasn't what I expected.  It started out a tiny chime and grew louder even though I had only tapped it once. I feared that like so much in this strange place that it would make itself extreme to the point that I would never have my hearing again.

But I soon learned to expect only the unexpected. The portal opened swiftly and the chiming ended. I sighed with release, and dropped my hands from my ears. There a beautiful woman stood before me.  The light from my pendent made it difficult to make out all her fine features, but somewhere deep inside me, I knew that she was my kin. All I could do was stare at her. Stammering over my words I manged to say to her "I... I... I am Kkk...yda." 
With that, my pendant’s light died. I still couldn't see very well, my eyes needed time to adjust.

The goddess of a woman just stood there, smiling. After a minute of awkward silence, a sweet, song like, monotone voice came from somewhere behind her. "Well don't just stand there staring at each other, Alidia, bring your sister in."



© 2008 Zanna Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you, you are totally right. I do need to add more senses into the story to for it feel like you are really there. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


This gives you more of a feeling of being there though the questions still linger- and I would enjoy seeing more description of this new character; especially as she seems very important to the plot and her relationship with the main character seems to be of importance overall good job here though in creating the scene- though I do wish to know more so than the tiredness what the trek through the castle was like- were the stone floors grey and cold or warm and gold- what sights did she see as she traveled through the twisted corridors? Stuff like this helps add to the feeling of actually being there. but I do like the idea you have started with.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 30, 2008


Author

Zanna Rose
Zanna Rose

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I'm a 26 year old. I rarely write, but when the mood strikes, sometimes it comes out really well. I have always had a creative streak, and so here I can showcase the few stories and poems I do have. A.. more..

Writing
Cassandra Cassandra

A Book by Zanna Rose


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Zanna Rose