The Man On the Road

The Man On the Road

A Chapter by Max Earns

There was always a chilly day in the months that had said goodbye. Although not favorable, they presented themselves with sunlight. But this chilly day was unlike any other. This chilly day invited a set of events that are difficult for anyone to grasp with a sane mind. The words that follow are just as obtainable as common sense.

Zeth, the older brother of little Enyssa, was driving home from work on that one chilly day. The roads were dark and the only thing piercing the darkness were his headlights. Seeing that Sunny Dale was a tiny tiny town, the streets were more like back roads. As Zeth was getting closer to the main town he saw a shadow up ahead. He shifted his face into a confused look. From what he knew, not a car took that road that late at night; much less a wandering person. As he drew closer to this shadow he began to see more clearly the shape of a man. Then the shape of a man wearing a thin coat and dirty jeans. Zeth had never seen this man in his entire life and thought him a traveler who had lost his way. He slowed his car down to offer the man a ride back into town. Just as he caught up with this stranger he felt something was completely off.

“Hey, mister?” Zeth offered. “Da ya need a lift back into town? It’s pretty dark and lonely out here…” The man did not turn but kept walking. His face swallowed by complete darkness. The stranger was bald and silent.

“Hey, mister, let me take ya into the main town. It’s just a couple miles up ‘head. I’ll save ya the trouble of walking.” The man kept silently walking. Zeth tried once more to get the stranger to say something.

“C’mon mister, I’ll get you some food once we’re…” The man suddenly turned his attention to Zeth and laughed a shrilling laugh.

“I DON’T NEED ANYTHING FROM YOU, YOU PETTY LIL BOY! RUN A LONG NOW CAUSE HE’S COMIN’ FOR YA!” The mans eyes were milky white and a thick scar ran down his left eye and into his cheek. His face was a forgotten battlefield of scars. The stranger began to laugh more deeply now then lowered his head towards Zeth and whispered mockingly,

“He’s comin’, ya better bet he’s comin’. And he’s comin’ for YOU!” The stranger pointed at Zeth and laughed. Who was coming for him? Zeth thought. He had never seen this stranger and he knew it meant trouble. Zeth became terrified but dared to ask,

“Whu…who’s comin’?” The scratched up stranger stopped laughing and his face twisted into itself. His eyes widened exposing a milky stare. Then he tightened his look and smiled,

“Oh, you’ll know when he’s arrived.” he smirked, “YOU’LL WISH YOU WERE DEAD!” The stranger barked and began his laughter again. Zeth, terrorized, slammed on the gas and left screeching his tires. He wouldn’t stop until he was safely home. He looked back to the stranger with the milky eyes but there was no shadow to be seen. He rubbed his eyes, maybe the darkness was playing trick on him, yet still, the stranger was gone. He dared not turn back.

As Zeth pulled into the main town, he saw a sign right outside the city limit. The sign was hand written in black paint reading:

Citizens of Sunny Dale,
THE CARNIVAL IS IN TOWN

Zeth related nothing and thought nothing of it. He thought of his little sister, Nyssa and how she might want to go. As much as he wanted to think of her smiling, the mans words rang in his head.

Zeth finally arrived home, ran to his room and locked the door. He threw himself on his bed and closed his eyes. All he could see was the milky eyes being swallowed by the scar.



© 2012 Max Earns


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you! I have other, more urgent, projects pending but as soon as those clear I will continue with this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good story! You should continue! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 15, 2012
Last Updated on October 15, 2012


Author

Max Earns
Max Earns

In My Head, TX



About
I live through music. I play, I write and perform my feelings. Quite often you'll find me running around in my head. I'm a forgotten dreamer but I know one day reality will bump into me and say, "Hey!.. more..

Writing
Scars Scars

A Story by Max Earns